to think this IS an acceptable lunch for an 8 year old?

(313 Posts)
Helenagrace Mon 21-Apr-14 14:51:17

I'm helping a friend out today as she has twin 8 year old boys and she's moving house house tomorrow. I've had them since 8.30am and in my text last night I said I'd "drop them back before dinner - about 5.30?"

I've just given them lunch. They were offered: toast (with peanut butter, egg, pate (homemade mackerel) or cheese), oatcakes (with the same options), half a packet of crisps, tomato, cucumber and pepper, fruit and a piece of home-made chocolate and cherry brownie.

Both have had oatcakes with cheese (6 each) plus salad, a hard boiled egg, an orange, crisps and a piece of cake.

My friend rang to see if they were ok and she spoke to one of the boys. Then I get a text from her saying she's coming to pick them up as she "hadn't realised they wouldn't be getting a proper lunch". I sent a text back saying that we were eating our main meal in the evening and I thought they were too and I've just had the reply back "yes but that's not really much of a lunch is it?"

It's a perfectly acceptable lunch in my house. Does anyone want to ring social services and dob me in for starving my children?

Quinteszilla Tue 22-Apr-14 12:43:20

Well, the friend did not bring a hot meal she brought sandwiches do clearly it was not the temperature she objected to...

Quinteszilla Tue 22-Apr-14 12:44:10

Well, the friend did not bring a hot meal she brought sandwiches do clearly it was not the temperature she objected to...

TimeForAnotherNameChange Tue 22-Apr-14 12:45:08

It's not your tastes that are the problem Jane, it's your attitude to those of us who do consider cold food to be a main course. You're the one who started it by calling us 'lazy'. That's rude and insulting. You've simply had a taste of your own medicine. Deal with it.

Goldmandra Tue 22-Apr-14 13:07:13

So, if you had a plate of cold poached salmon, salad and potato salad you'd eat less of it than if it were hot poached salmon, new potatoes and green beans?

Sorry if this is becoming an inquisition. I just find it interesting and a little bit bizarre.

Martorana Tue 22-Apr-14 13:07:24

""Most hot food is main meal stuff."

Beans on toast? Boiled egg?

trixymalixy Tue 22-Apr-14 13:15:40

It's fine to have a preference for a hot or cold meal. What's not fine is to turn your nose up at a lunch someone else has kindly provided for you and label them lazy for not cooking a hot meal hmm.

Onilkley, carvery meat is very fatty. I got a massive shock when I was using my fitness pal and scanned in the roast joint we had just eaten. Even though we had had only veg with it, no potatoes or stuffingor yorkshires, the amount of calories per portion was quite a shock to me.

squoosh Tue 22-Apr-14 13:19:31

I feel sorry for the two boys, they were polite enough to eat what they wee offered. But the mum's behaviour is the kind that might result in them not being invited to other people's houses.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Tue 22-Apr-14 13:31:33

I don't think carvery meat is fatty. I'm talking about a couple of slices of turkey or beef with no visible fat, accompanied by loads of cabbage, carrots, brocolli, cauliflower, sprouts, peas and a single roast potato, half a stuffing ball, half a massive yorkshire and a small amount of gravy - eg what you get from Toby Carvery. That is the kind of thing I prefer to eat and find a sandwich unsatisfying in comparison.

Plenty of pre-made sandwiches have 500+ calories, and aren't very filling on their own, don't necessarily include any vegetables and are often accompanied by crisps or cake.

I was just expressing my preference and explaining that I didn't think that it was necessarily the case that hot food = unhealthy and cold food = healthy.

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 22-Apr-14 13:46:43

Both hot and cold food can be filling or not or calorific or not temp doesn't make any difference to that.

But I agree that labelling someone lazy cos food isn't hot is ridiculous.

It's more effort to make a salad tham throw a pizza in te oven, and would the pizza deemed ok the night be fire e deemed lazy eaten cold for lunch. Lots of left overs are eaten cold. Quiches, tarts, meats, salads you still had to cook them before. By janes standards she must be opposed to left overs too then because throwing together "cold components" would be more effort than zapping yesterday's stew.

KitKat1985 Tue 22-Apr-14 13:51:18

YADNBU. How rude of your 'friend'! You did her a big favour having boys for the day, and that's the thanks you got!!! I'd be fuming! angry

Gruntfuttock Tue 22-Apr-14 14:04:43

Oh dear how embarrassing. I keep getting this thread and the 'meat' thread confused and therefore making nonsensical posts on both of them.
blush

Topaz25 Tue 22-Apr-14 14:07:58

At least she apologised but I wouldn't do her any favours in future.

zzzzz Tue 22-Apr-14 23:35:00

onIlk I would guess that was about 700 to 1000 calories, and far less nutrients than something less cooked.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now