To want to go round like bubble boy due to size of spiders this year?

(33 Posts)
DirtyDancing Wed 16-Apr-14 22:02:52

So I can just tell this year it's going to be horrendous. At the weekend we had one, no joke, including legs, the size of the palm of my hand. I've never seen one this big before ever. As heading to bed now another sizeable beast greeted me on the stairs. There seems to be more than any other year. I just can't stand them. I know spider lovers will shoot me down in flames but my DH has been instructed to Hoover/ stamp / spray- whatever it takes to get rid if bigger than a 10p.

I daren't go to bed at the mo as have the shivers evening typing this!

MistressDeeCee Tue 22-Apr-14 01:55:57

Decides not to even think about Forty's mutant spiders

I was going to try conkers but DD said conkers turn into maggots after a while, it happened to a mate of hers

missknows Tue 22-Apr-14 03:51:59

Get chickens. They LOVE eating spiders. (And any other bugs for that matter)

Gullygirl Tue 22-Apr-14 09:59:32

I used to be petrified of spiders.

Then I moved to Australia.

I just had to get over it.The big ones we get here are actually welcome,as they ear the nasties,like redbacks which can give a wicked bite.
It is still disconcerting to find one crawling about the laundry basket in your smalls though, like this fist sized one from the other week.

Gullygirl Tue 22-Apr-14 10:16:57

I used to be petrified of spiders.

Then I moved to Australia.

I just had to get over it.The big ones we get here are actually welcome,as they ear the nasties,like redbacks which can give a wicked bite.
It is still disconcerting to find one crawling about the laundry basket in your smalls though, like this fist sized one from the other week.

Prettykitty111 Tue 22-Apr-14 10:32:04

Gully we were looking at moving to Australia last year. Went through all the yuck think of the creepy crawlies conversations! Tried to explain to people that you WANT a huntsman in the house to eat all the others and people look at you in a very different way! Is that a huntsman?

BeCool Tue 22-Apr-14 10:35:05

Fuck - I didn't think these spiders were an issue until September - what are they? Where are they? Do I need to start checking towels before I use them already?

Gullygirl Thu 24-Apr-14 00:02:30

Yep,it's a huntsman.
We had a three legged one in the laundry for about a year, he was like a family pet!

theimposter Thu 24-Apr-14 00:08:39

You might want to keep an eye out for the smaller ones actually; I had a False Widow that had hidden in my trousers. I sat down in my car just after I changed into them and gradually got the horrible sensation of a thorn or something really sharp against my thigh and when I pulled over and put my hand down to grab out what I thought would be a piece of straw it turned out to be a spider!!! It was a bit squashed by then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now