to offer the council some money for the fun day I attended

(13 Posts)
zobey Tue 15-Apr-14 15:22:58

Took my dd to a free fun day today and I didn't know it was free till I got there so I took money with me to pay for the face painting, rides and food and drinks. Upon leaving with a friend I offered the council some money towards the afternoon as we had been there for 3 hours having fun. They said it was fine and they didn't want any but friend said I was stupid to offer. Wdut

MrsBennetsEldest Tue 15-Apr-14 15:26:19

You have paid already though, through taxes.

LynetteScavo Tue 15-Apr-14 15:28:07

My local council no longer offers nice free days. Enjoy them while you can.

You have already paid in your taxes - the council won't give away anything they cant afford. (Well, I'd hope they wouldn't!)

HSMMaCM Tue 15-Apr-14 15:28:08

It was nice to show your appreciation, but the staff on duty probably wouldn't know what to do with the money and may have been told not to accept any.

gamerchick Tue 15-Apr-14 15:28:44

I wish there was something like that here... our council doesn't do anything like that anymore.

Pheonixisrising Tue 15-Apr-14 17:21:12

I'd write to the council to say how much you enjoyed it . Make a change for them to get a nice letter

Jinty64 Tue 15-Apr-14 17:24:41

You could make a charity donation or send something to the food bank/refuge with a covering letter.

Euphemia Tue 15-Apr-14 17:41:44

The staff there would have no authority to take money - no audit trail, very dodgy for them to accept it.

I agree with Phoenix, council employees very rarely experience appreciation- write a nice letter and tell them how much fun you had- it would mean more than a contribution they aren't allowed to take smile

WooWooOwl Tue 15-Apr-14 18:00:19

It was a bit daft to offer the money, what exactly do you think they were going to do with it?

If you want to give something back, then donate to a local charity.

hippo123 Tue 15-Apr-14 18:26:36

Write a letter telling them how much you enjoyed it. These kind of things never get any positive feedback so it would be nice for the staff.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Tue 15-Apr-14 18:28:44

Offering money was a bit daft but agree a nice letter to local newspaper would be worthwhile

iago Tue 15-Apr-14 18:36:22

I once sent a card to our City Council Parks Dept to thank them for the lovely daffodil displays I see every year on roundabouts and grassy banks near where I live. They sent a thank you letter back! (Before email!) The Council will be delighted to receive a letter of appreciation. This has reminded me to send another thank you for the lovely basket displays they will be putting up soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now