... To want a definitive answer on what things are 'naff'?

(221 Posts)
Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 22:52:56

I seemingly think something is ok then realise apparently I am committing the biggest faux pas this side of a lounge filled with twigs, a feature wall, net curtains and LOVE and HOME everywhere.

Also, who are the naffettes or naffians or people with the authority to decide?!

thebody Sun 13-Apr-14 23:05:29

Er do what you like.

The absolute best thing about getting older is you really really done give a flying fuck what other people think.

And people who say 'naff' are generally twats who actually are scared of being judged.

Threads today included naff as 'nets curtains /McDonald's, red velour track suits and mils who talk directly to their grand children.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 23:12:35

Brilliant advice!

Sounds like there is an unspoken scale of naff.

Judgeypants should come as track suits.

MrsBungle Sun 13-Apr-14 23:14:15

I couldn't give a flying shite what folk think of my choices in clothes or home decor. It must be hard work trying to remember what's naff and what's not.

uselessidiot Sun 13-Apr-14 23:17:35

YABU because no one will agree so you'll end up confused. Go with what you like, it's your house and you who has to live with it. If visitors don't like it that's their problem.

Floer1 Sun 13-Apr-14 23:18:36

It's usually those standard brown leather sofas, feature walls, and anything from, or resembling, Next (according to past threads)

JohnCusacksWife Sun 13-Apr-14 23:19:06

Kopik, there are a load of snobs on MN who sneer about, amongst other things, "twiggy shit", family photos and fairy lights.Ignore them and have your own home how you like it. Enjoy!!

Floer1 Sun 13-Apr-14 23:26:21

I'd forgotten family photos; especially Venture if I recall correctly.
Yes. Do ignore and do as you please!

Shockers Sun 13-Apr-14 23:28:38

I love fairy lights... tasteful ones obvs. Couldn't give a monkeys what other folk think of my home... I like it.

Notfastmainlyfurious Sun 13-Apr-14 23:29:56

What's wrong with family photos? And I have a brown leather sofa. Oh dear I am naff.

My house is shabby shitted to death.

We're currently doing the conservatory - I've conned dh with the words 'french industrial' so that he has some idea which of our assorted nik nak shit will fit in.

No one else would like it and I give not one tiny turd fuck as I'm not buying any more stuff ever.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 23:37:25

Brown sofa - not leather

No twigs, but a fake plant so that probably counts

I love my fairy lights, it's like an ironic fire.

Plenty of candles.

Ruprekt Sun 13-Apr-14 23:38:01

Just have it as you like it.

Am not keen on words around the house or Union Jack patterns but each to their own and all that.

hiddenhome Sun 13-Apr-14 23:39:17

What's 'french industrial'? <sounds interesting>

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 13-Apr-14 23:39:26

Nappy wrappers are naff.
George foremans are naff
Food processors are naff ( the time you save is spent cleaning)

TheFarceAndTheSpurious Sun 13-Apr-14 23:40:38

Excellent - I will go with West Country rustic - rustique?

NeedsAsockamnesty Sun 13-Apr-14 23:47:14

Have what ever you like looking at because it makes you smile,even if it is shite you only brought because it was sold by an independent retailer in Chelsea

YouTheCat Sun 13-Apr-14 23:50:11

My living room currently boasts a certain 'student chic'. It is very now. It will also be very tomorrow until I can be bothered to tidy it up and the teen goes out. (It looks tidy then).

It's true what the body says, as you get older you just don't give a shit what other people think of your choices. Definitely not strangers on the internet anyway. I mean you could be taking decor advice from a 17st trucker named Norman. hmm grin

makemineapinot Sun 13-Apr-14 23:50:11

I love my void processor - and the dish washer cleans it and ds (hopefully) puts it away as he job is to empty the dishwasher! My house is probably naff but I like it and don't care!!

makemineapinot Sun 13-Apr-14 23:51:31

smile youthecat at Norman!

'French industrial' in this house is shabby shit stuff left over from the last house cou

Coupled with enamel french lights from
A factory bought from ebay

gordyslovesheep Sun 13-Apr-14 23:52:08

gilded After Eight Mint holders are naff

hth x

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 13-Apr-14 23:52:25

I love my home, love my home comforts.

gordyslovesheep Sun 13-Apr-14 23:52:57

I hav Skandi chic btw - which is Ikea furniture and The Bridge box sets

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now