Am I weird to wash pegs before using them.

(47 Posts)
ICanSeeTheSun Sun 13-Apr-14 15:23:11

First load of washing on the line this year, so I washed and dried the pegs and also wiped the line down.

Mil said this was weird.

But it would feel wrong to put the washing on the line with dirty pegs and line.

Spickle Sun 13-Apr-14 15:25:43

While I think essentially this is a good idea, I can't help thinking you must have too much time on your hands!!

Snatchoo Sun 13-Apr-14 15:26:51

Yes.

HTH

Joysmum Sun 13-Apr-14 15:27:03

Yes it is grin

KatyMac Sun 13-Apr-14 15:28:44

DH wipes the line (bird poo/bugs etc)

But how would the pegs be dirty?

Each to their own and all that but it seems to me a little over the top.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 13-Apr-14 15:30:03

I'm having a rare Sunday where the DC are playing nice, DH is having time on the computer before work and the house is spotless.

I am probably bored.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 13-Apr-14 15:31:12

The pegs have been on the line all winter, through all that awful weather and the sand storm we had.

Perhaps I should wash the car.

picnicbasketcase Sun 13-Apr-14 15:31:23

It is a bit strange in my opinion, but I'm the slovenly sort who leaves the pegs on the line at all times, some of the springs have gone rusty and I don't even care.

I am a rebel.

KatyMac Sun 13-Apr-14 15:32:20

Ah now you see ours are in a little bag in the utility so don't get dirty like that - if they had been left outside DH would wash them (but not dry them)

Jojoanna Sun 13-Apr-14 15:33:48

I don't think it's weird. I used to do that. Tumble dry everything now .

Mintyy Sun 13-Apr-14 15:34:06

You are weird to leave your pegs on the line all winter smile.

usualsuspectt Sun 13-Apr-14 15:35:38

My pegs are out in all weathers.

Poor pegs sad

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Sun 13-Apr-14 15:36:29

My Mum always wiped her washing line - every time she used it! Apparently, the washing line would leave dirty marks on the washing. (I've lived on my own for eons, never wipe my washing line, and don't get dirty marks as a result. She also scolded us if we didn't use matching pegs, and didn't match the colours of the pegs to complement the clothes. confused

She is OCD. When I hang out my washing, I never wipe the line, always ensure I pick unmatching pegs, simply to rebel. I have thought in recent years, however, that this is probably reverse OCD??

I wipe the line at the start of using it every spring, or for occasional winter use, but the pegs are brought back inside after every use, so they never get dirty, seems strange to leave them out to me.

wowfudge Sun 13-Apr-14 15:40:34

Yes to wiping line periodically but I always take the pegs in - retractable washing line!

It isn't OCD to do something like that.

ForFcuksSake Sun 13-Apr-14 15:40:53

DH wipes the line (bird poo/bugs etc) But how would the pegs be dirty?

Uh...Bird poo/bugs etc?

BlackeyedSusan Sun 13-Apr-14 15:41:58

absolutely not. the line leaves grey lines on the line cloth and mum wipes it down regularly. don't think she has washed the pegs in forty years though.

one of my neighbours wipes the lines too.

Elysianfields Sun 13-Apr-14 15:42:52

I think you are weird to leave the washing line out, I tidy mine away when I am done and put it in the cupboard with the pegs.

Ours is a straight one joined to two walls, so not easy to put away each time (the gap is too long for a retractable one), so it make sense to wipe it down.

Nocomet Sun 13-Apr-14 15:54:03

Not weird if you leave your pegs on the line in winter.

Mine seem OK this year, but simetimes I get black mildew and need to wipe the line and any pegs left out.

Line is very, very firmly tied a fair way up two fruit trees, it does not take down.

(Also it takes the cable out to fairy lights on the tree, hence pegs being used in winter)

KatyMac Sun 13-Apr-14 15:54:35

Well if they were outside in all weathers maybe ForFcuksSake but they are inside in a little bag in the utility

If they got dirty while holding up clothes the clothes would need washing too

sillymillyb Sun 13-Apr-14 15:57:35

I think it's weird that you have a quiet household and you are worrying about pegs and not napping / reading / mumsnetting.

I must confess though that I buy new pegs rather than clean them because that's how lazy I am grin

I always wipe the line at the start of the Spring when I get the line out. i have one of those on reels.

Pegs live inside. grin

unlucky83 Sun 13-Apr-14 16:12:23

Have occasionally wiped line - never washed pegs...
Spotless house confused And you have DCS? confusedconfused
Do you want to come round to my house?
I could find lots of things for you to clean grin
(Or we could swap DCs and DP/DHs?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now