To be glad this Councillor has resigned after her disgusting comments about rape?

(66 Posts)
SmilingHappyBeaver Sun 13-Apr-14 13:40:12

YANBU! She's a fucking disgrace!

FreudiansSlipper Sun 13-Apr-14 13:50:10

YANBU

Apparently it is a saying hmm

silkknickers Sun 13-Apr-14 13:50:26

WTAF??????
So sad that this attitude still exists.

Scarletohello Sun 13-Apr-14 13:50:55

Good. I'm glad she resigned. Stupid ignorant woman!

Andrewofgg Sun 13-Apr-14 13:52:28

Where do people like this come from?

I made remarks like this at one time . . . when I was a male teenager, and that's more than forty years ago, and although I am still male I have grown out of saying such things. She has no excuse. Just proves that being an arse is equal-opps, anyone can do it regardless of age and sex!

uselessidiot Sun 13-Apr-14 13:58:37

I'm glad she's resigned but unfortunately I don't believe she's truly sorry. She comes across as someone who really believes that all the objectors are being unreasonable.

pluCaChange Sun 13-Apr-14 14:08:34

What a fanjo-clenchingly awful thing to say.

Her apology was a damned sight better, and came sooner, than Maria Miller's though.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 14:11:29

Excellent! Vile, vile excuse of a human.

limitedperiodonly Sun 13-Apr-14 14:12:04

Yes YABU. Very much so.

She is an elected councillor expressing the cynical view that when something happens that you object to, sometimes you have to take it.

I don't know whether she thinks the housing project is a good or a bad idea. It doesn't matter to me. She is expressing her view on the inevitability of it.

I'd never vote Conservative in a million years. But I'm very sorry that she has been forced to apologise because people don't get what she's saying.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 14:16:12

No limited, I disagree.

Rape and enjoy should never be near each other in a sentence. Ever.

There are already enough dangerous myths about this subject.

SmilingHappyBeaver Sun 13-Apr-14 14:18:19

Limitedperiodonly

You've missed the point entirely. The issue isn't her comment about accepting inevitability, it's the suggestion you should "enjoy it".

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Sun 13-Apr-14 14:19:40

Limited, she can say what she likes about housing policy. Using rape as a metaphor for housing policy is vile and stupid, and suggesting that 'when rape is inevitable you should enjoy it' is rape apology bullshit. There was no reason for her to say it and she deserves to lose her position.

MincingOnBy Sun 13-Apr-14 14:20:02

Limited, people do get what she is saying re inevitability of this housing project but what they object to is that she could think its reasonable to use such a bloody stupid insensitive and disgusting "saying" (is it even a "saying", Barbara? hmm ) to make her point. I think it shows shocking lack of judgement and I am glad she has resigned. Lie back and fucking enjoy it indeed... She is an utter dick for saying that.

ScrambledSmegs Sun 13-Apr-14 14:20:42

What the hell? I have never heard that saying before. Did she make it up?

BornFreeButinChains Sun 13-Apr-14 14:20:45

Yes its awful but I think the scandal surrounding LIBERAL Cyril Smith is far far more disgusting and shocking, and horrific.

uselessidiot Sun 13-Apr-14 14:20:47

I get perfectly well what she is saying *limited, it is disgusting to liken a planning application to being raped. Not just disgusting but infuriating, it is her who has no understanding of the impact of being raped. It's great that some people have no personal experience of rape but that shouldn't preclude them from showing empathy and restraint in their choice of analogies.

uselessidiot Sun 13-Apr-14 14:22:52

What really galls me is people like her are considered wonderful, proper human beings yet I'm nothing but subhuman scrounging scum.

picnicbasketcase Sun 13-Apr-14 14:27:36

I unfriended an idiot on fb who posted something about 'preferring the term 'struggle hug' to rape', apparently it was a joke they heard somewhere but I thought it was disgusting angry this woman's comments are equally despicable.

blueemerald Sun 13-Apr-14 14:27:42

My first thought when I read this story was that perhaps she has been the victim of some sort of sexual assault. It sounds like something an attacker or unsympathetic relatives might say (particularly 20 or so years ago). Especially if she thinks it's a known saying.

I still think it was an outrageously crass comparison.

ForalltheSaints Sun 13-Apr-14 14:29:08

The councillor should leave the council now, not wait until the next election.

limitedperiodonly Sun 13-Apr-14 14:56:19

I don't think I have missed the point OP. I think you have. But so have many others on this thread.

Her view was clumsily expressed because it's ambiguous.

What is her view on the housing project? Does she think that having people overpower you is inevitable and that maybe you should try to make the best of it? If so, I'd reluctantly agree with her, especially on multi-million pound property development projects.

I'm asking you because you've posted it and am hoping that you might be local and have some informed view on the project and councillor apart from posting on AIBU on a Sunday afternoon for an easy pat on the back.

I don't live in the area but have had the experience of being shafted, though thankfully not raped. But I do understand the terminology however badly expressed.

I don't know, but just maybe the woman is trying to stick up for her constituents.

uselessidiot Sun 13-Apr-14 14:59:46

limited there are plenty ways to stick up for her constituents without making vile analogies.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 15:16:28

Limited please explain, exactly, how her comment is ambiguous.

Kopik Sun 13-Apr-14 15:21:04

Having a housing development near you - noisy, environmental issues, eventually it will bed in, stretched resources, green belt, maybe more investment. Inevitable yes, but hardly life changing.

Being raped - the most horrific violation of your physical, emotional and sexual identity. You are powerless and nothing - you will get flashbacks, trauma, you will be stigmatised - or feel you are. You never get to escape.

Limited, don't you fucking dare diminish this by even suggesting its comparable. I wish there was a block poster option, I really do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now