AIBU to pretend I saw nothing?

(106 Posts)
Morgause Sun 13-Apr-14 09:54:47

We live on a lane just wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass each other. Also we live on a bend at the top of a hill. We 3 families who live in houses on the inside of the bend never park on either side of the road because houses lower down the hill cannot see if the road is clear to pull out. A few of times we have been asked by the police or support officers to move cars that are causing an obstruction outside our houses (we live near a school) but they haven't been ours. Also few years ago there was an accident lower down and we all received letters asking us not to park on the bend.

If cars are parked there it is also very difficult to get in and out of our drives.

Recently a man living 500 yards down the lane has bought himself a huge 4x4. He doesn't have the competence to park it on his drive without several attempts so has taken to leaving it outside our houses on the opposite side of the road - there are no houses opposite just school grounds. Our neighbour has asked him a few times not to but he pays his road tax and can park where he likes, he says. We have resisted talking to the police about it because that seems petty.

Anyway, last night as I was drawing our bedroom curtains I saw a visitor pulling out of next door's drive and he bashed into the 4X4. I heard the scrape. The driver (a friend of the son of NDN) drove off quickly. This morning I can see that the paintwork is badly scratched.

My inclination is to say nothing, even if asked. AIBU?

notadoglikernevermindlover Sun 13-Apr-14 10:44:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EvaBeaversProtege Sun 13-Apr-14 10:46:53

Say nothing

Morgause Sun 13-Apr-14 10:47:38

I don't feel inclined to after having so much agreement here, tbh. He didn't do the right thing by parking considerately.

jerryfudd Sun 13-Apr-14 10:54:20

I wouldn't say a word either

Acky123 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:55:19

I'd tell him. He might be an arse, but your NDN's son's friend was totally in the wrong for driving away.

What I'm struggling to understand is why are the police writing letters to tell you not to park there when they should be getting the council to paint double yellow lines on the road? That's bizarre in itself.

If there are no lines, then nobody can stop you parking there.

CuntyBunty Sun 13-Apr-14 10:58:37

Don't say a word.

Poetic justice.

cees Sun 13-Apr-14 10:58:43

He deserved it, stay quiet and watch for his reaction on seeing his stupid parking rewarded.

notadoglikernevermindlover Sun 13-Apr-14 10:59:11

notadoglikernevermindlover Sun 13-Apr-14 10:59:32

HandragsNGladbags Sun 13-Apr-14 11:04:01

I wouldn't say anything. I would also try and get double yellows painted on the road.

Coconutty Sun 13-Apr-14 11:05:00

You know nothing.

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 13-Apr-14 11:08:40

YANBU! Karma, baby!

Scrounger Sun 13-Apr-14 11:08:45

Agree Coconutty - love the phrase.

He has said that he has the right to park where he likes, so he has to take the risk that goes with that.

Alternatively he should drive a car that he can park on his drive.

You'd be quite justified in not getting involved.

Morgause Sun 13-Apr-14 11:17:07

We've been campaigning for the zigzags for the school gate to be extended or for double yellow lines for ages.

The problem is the school and the parents who park all over the place at picking up time. If they didn't park in our lane they'd be parking along the main road and we think that is what the council are trying to avoid. They'd still park there if there were double yellows because they park on the zigzags anyway.

It is illegal to park in such a way as to cause an obstruction, according to the police, even without lines.

MrsGWay Sun 13-Apr-14 11:17:17

If there are no lines, then nobody can stop you parking there.

This is not true, you cannot park where it endangers others, lines or no! If he was parked there and a serious accident occurred he could be charged by the police.

ilovesooty Sun 13-Apr-14 11:25:27

Not going out of your way to volunteer information is one thing. I think refusing to give it if you're asked is another. Driving away from the scene of an accident and failing to report is an offence.

Scrounger Sun 13-Apr-14 11:29:39

ilovesooty, I agree that driving away and failing to report is an offence but I don't see how that applies here. I think it just relates to if a person is involved in an accident.

It's in the highway code, isn't it? Don't park on a bend because it is dangerous. There aren't double yellow lines on all bends because there shouldn't need to be - the rules are already there.

Don't get involved unless you are asked. I doubt the guy will come and ask you if you saw anything anyway, unless he is very stupid. He must know he was wrong to park there and in reality unless you are known to spend hours looking out of your window, what are the chances that you would have seen anything anyway? Pretty slim, I would have thought.

If he does ask it is harder not to say anything - difficult to lie. I would just be vague. Yes, you did see a car, no you don't know who it was which is true. You don't know the visitor.

ilovesooty Sun 13-Apr-14 11:33:20

It does apply Scrounger If you damage a parked car and drive away you have in law been involved in an accident and failed to report, for which you can be prosecuted.

Scrounger Sun 13-Apr-14 11:35:02

Yes ilovesooty I'm not disputing that but that relates only to the driver, not to any witnesses so it doesn't apply to the OP. Sorry, the 'if a' should be a 'to the' in my earlier post.

Say nothing, it's the bad Parker 's fault. Started kindle keeps putting a capital P there have given up trying to remove!

Morgause Sun 13-Apr-14 11:37:14

I was wondering what to say if he asked. Our sitting room/TV room is in the back so I was thinking I could say we always sit in the back of the house in the evenings.

Evasive but not an outright lie.

Still no sign of him. DH has been out the front mowing the lawn for half an hour so was available to be asked if car-owner turned up.

The driver of the other car is probably only a sixth former, a friend of the lad next door. Not in a position to fork out for repairs.

I'm justifying not saying anything, I know, but this arse has been asked not to park there and virtually stuck 2 fingers up at us all.

cankles Sun 13-Apr-14 11:40:00

maybe give this one a by-ball as it sounds like it could then cause trouble with ndn(?) - discretion on this occasion but review it if you notice it or anything similar happening again.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Sun 13-Apr-14 11:46:19

YABU to have given up on Casualty, 'this comedy gold these days grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now