To think that if you have guests you should leave a set of keys in an accessible place so they can get out?

(35 Posts)
PickleMyster Sun 13-Apr-14 09:00:06

Okay, so I am currently staying at my Mum's, have gone to open back door (put something in outside bin) and can't find keys. I have had to wake her up to get out. She has all the keys to the house in her room which she had locked herself in, the house was in complete lock down.

At home I have similar doors and the first time she stayed she made a point of asking where we would leave the keys so "I can get out if I need to". We left them where we all could access them easily.

My biggest fear is fire, I would have no choice but to start breaking downstairs double glazed windows and it doesn't take long for smoke inhalation to take hold. This is not the first time this has happened, I've explained my fears, but she doesn't take any notice.

So am I being unreasonable in asking her to leave a set of keys in an accessible place?

Bunbaker Sun 13-Apr-14 18:24:35

I can't see how a burglar could fish a key out of our lock either.

fluffyraggies Sun 13-Apr-14 18:21:32

Keys in the doors at night here too. In blind panic in the dark and thick smoke i defy anyone to fumble around even in the hallway for a set of keys.

It would be a very awkward angle for a burglar to fish from the letterbox to get the keys out of the lock here. But you can get those 'cages' which fit over the letter box to catch the mail cant you? That would make fishing from letterbox to anywhere even harder.

littledrummergirl Sun 13-Apr-14 18:10:56

Key is in the door here. Im another who would rather face a burglar than a fire.
Pil used to hide keys, it terrified me especially when dcs were small. They changed the door.
We have a --great big scary barky--noisy lovable dog who would tell us if someone was coming. The police once checked houses on our street to see if we were likely to be burgled, we saw them running up the drivesmile

ExcuseTypos Sun 13-Apr-14 16:11:52

All keys are left in the doors in our house. We don't have a letter box so a burglar can't hook them out and use them.

But everyone else I know, locks their doors then puts the key in some obscure place. Really handy if you're trying to get out of a fire in the pitch blackhmm

Migsy1 Sun 13-Apr-14 16:01:22

Could you get one of them copied?

SueDoku Sun 13-Apr-14 15:43:13

My DS was burgled recently when he absent-mindedly left his keys on the hall table instead of in the little box where they are usually kept. The police told him that it was common for burglars to look through the letter box and then fish the keys out with a small fishing rod. The front door was opened shock his bag and his OH's handbag taken from the hall and his car stolen and used in several further burglaries.....!!!

It took a LOT of time and trouble to sort all the insurance claims out (house - all locks changed; contents - bags; and car - which was eventually recovered, but had to be checked over and have all the locks changed)..... It's also left the whole family very, very anxious - it really really isn't worth leaving your keys anywhere where they can be seen. angry sad

Bunbaker Sun 13-Apr-14 15:08:25

The local crime prevention officer says that you shouldn't keep keys visible in the house - on a key hook or in a dish. We keep them in the doors when in the house and hide them away when the house is empty.

My parents keep their back door key in a dish, it is just out of sight of the back door on the kitchen counter. However the dish is full of other keys, assorted coins, paperclips, you name it. I just don't think they have thought through how much harder it would be to find the right one when suffocating in smoke in the dark.

Bunbaker Sun 13-Apr-14 14:41:15

"Our front and back door keys are both kept in dishes on the windowsill"

In full sight of a potential burglar? I would rather keep it in the lock.

Cerisier Sun 13-Apr-14 11:12:01

YANBU as the fire risk is a huge one. I would not be going to bed first if I thought there was any chance I could be locked in a house. If it happened a second time after I mentioned it, I would not stay again. This is very dangerous behaviour.

Secondly, why is DM locking her bedroom door? No one is allowed to sleep with a locked door at our house in case of fire or illness. If I am going to bed and a teen has locked a door we will hammer on it until they crawl out of bed and unlock it.

foslady Sun 13-Apr-14 11:04:52

I habe door curtains with tie backs and hang them on those. Not easily accessable from outside can be covered with curtain from inside but easy to find in emergency. Was suggested by fire officer when he did his check.

Honeybear30 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:43:37

pinot it invalidates insurance to leave keys on the outside, but surely not the inside which the pp was referring to?!

Pinotgrigioplease Sun 13-Apr-14 10:34:04

Our front and back door keys are both kept in dishes on the windowsill right next to the doors. Easy to locate when needed.

Oh god YANBU.

My Dad does this all the time. He locks the front door and puts the keys somewhere, different somewhere every night.

Every time I stay and I have to search for the keys in the morning I remind him that it's dangerous in case of a fire and he should put a little hook somewhere in the hallway to put them on.

Mind you it served them right... last time I was there I had to get up and leave at 5am, and I had to go get him up to get the keys out'!!!

haha!

We keep a key in our back door at all times for the fire reason, take it out and hide it when we are away, but that's the only time. Front door is self locking - we made very sure we chose a self locking one when we replaced it for this reason. I'd rather be burgled than trapped in a burning house too.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 13-Apr-14 10:26:55

I've had this conversation so many times with dh

He's paranoid about burglars, I'm paranoid about fire.

I won. Keys are kept in the door lock.

Janethegirl Sun 13-Apr-14 10:25:11

I'd sooner risk burglars than burning to death because I couldn't unlock a door. My keys are either in the lock or very near it at all times.

Ilovexmastime Sun 13-Apr-14 10:23:06

Yanbu and I think you did the right thing by waking her. Consequences and all that...

Marylou62 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:04:00

Oh God...my biggest fear...a fire and no keys. Mine are on a hook above the door....at ALL times unless they are in the door. Just explain your fears. And your worry for her in that situation.

Pinotgrigioplease Sun 13-Apr-14 10:03:08

I think that might invalidate your insurance Bunbaker? I think it was in the small print of my terms & conditions.

Sounds tough OP, I would push for another set of keys to be cut.

gamerchick Sun 13-Apr-14 09:52:17

Don't we get 3 breaths or something in a fire before we're unconscious? Hiding keys would be quite dangerous as you're likely to panic if you wake up to a fire. You don't have the time to faff on.

SelectAUserName Sun 13-Apr-14 09:47:15

In that case I'd say "I realised when I had to wake you up this morning that I've still got your old keys from before the burglary. Can we sort out getting me a set of the new keys before I go, then I won't have to disturb your lie-in again."

Bunbaker Sun 13-Apr-14 09:42:20

I leave my keys in the door so anyone can get out in a hurry. It is safer than leaving them within easy reach for an opportune burglar as they don't slip out of the door very easily. Also, if the key is in the door you can't use a key from outside.

PickleMyster Sun 13-Apr-14 09:32:48

If it was the first time then yes I it would have been unreasonable to wake her, but it's not the first time (more like the 5/6)

Yes we have had issues in the past with control and her trying to get me to do things her way. At one point she did I did give me a set of keys to her house which made things easier but she got burgled and she had locks changed. It's not that she actually refuses to leave the keys/give me any new keys, she just avoids getting into a discussion about it.

I am baffled by her behaviour at times sad

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 13-Apr-14 09:30:02

Yes, why don't you have your own set? Most people I know have keys to parents and frequently vice versa.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now