To expect people not to start bonfires during the day?

(51 Posts)
coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:39:53

I have just hung my baby's washing out in the garden to dry and within minutes had to bring it in because someone has started a bonfire! I've had to shut all my windows but my house already stinks of it and now i'm coughing my guts up because i'm already ill and the smell of smoke has got to my chest. People are so inconsiderate.

Pleasejustgo Sun 13-Apr-14 08:40:56

Erm call the fire brigade maybe is a real fire?!

coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:41:30

Its definitely a bonfire i can see it from my upstairs window!

littlewhitebag Sun 13-Apr-14 08:43:08

Surely they should do this during the day rather than at night? Is it a bonfire in a garden?

Goodadvice1980 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:43:41

YANBU, totally selfish and normally done because neighbours are too damn lazy to take their crap to the local tip!

it is meant to be after a certain time i think?
though I do love bonfires

ipswichwitch Sun 13-Apr-14 08:45:31

We have a neighbour that has a bonfire at least twice a week (no exaggeration). It's a running joke here that he must be burning evidence - no other reason why you'd need that many bonfires, unless he's a budding arsonist

Pleasejustgo Sun 13-Apr-14 08:45:43

Then call environmental health. This would give me the rage as you've no idea what the hell they're burning.

You probably can't do anything thoug can you. What a shitty thing to do, I agree.

YNBU

coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:46:17

Yes in a back garden. Fine do it in the day if you live in a remote area but we are talking about a council estate with lots of houses in close proximity. Do it in the evening when it is still light but kids are not outside breathing in the fumes, why has it got to be at 8am!

no, just checked, there isnt a time issue, it is a nuisance issue,
i expect it will burn itself out soon.

Pleasejustgo Sun 13-Apr-14 08:47:24

I thought you were in a remote village somewhere.

WTAF

That is incredibly inconsiderate do that in close proximity to anyone. Well I think so anyway.

coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:48:25

I live in a London Borough just to give you an idea how built up the area is.smile

coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 08:50:33

Heres hoping it does burn itself out. I had a day in the garden planned, me studying when baby sleeps and kids playing. I won't be going in the garden if the bonfire is still burning because we are all ill enough nasty coughs, colds and sore throats.

Pleasejustgo Sun 13-Apr-14 08:56:01

It's beyond comprehension how ridiculous some people can be.

Hope it clears soon.

littlewhitebag Sun 13-Apr-14 08:59:42

Not good in an urban area. People have bonfires round here but I live rurally and it's not so much of an issue.

Ledkr Sun 13-Apr-14 09:01:43

My neighbour does this.

The other day he lit one while the children were on the trampoline whilst loudly telling his child to go in because of the smoke hmm I felt bloody murderous.

JamNan Sun 13-Apr-14 09:04:16

The fuckers usually wait for a nice sunny day on which to light a bonfire. I have one next door to me. Report them to HA?Council?

YANBU

ParkingFred Sun 13-Apr-14 09:05:30

In my fantasy appearance on Room 101, bonfires would be my first item.

I don't think anyone should have them, ever, unless they are completely isolated.

My neighbours next door and opposite use the same gardener and he was constantly having bonfires, and burning laurel all the time, which I believe is harmful.

I complained so many times, he's given up and has bought a shredder.

Felyne Sun 13-Apr-14 09:32:49

There's an alleyway behind our back fence and one of the neighbours on the other side of it seems to have taken it upon himself to clear the overgrown bits. (No idea why, no-one uses the alleyway as it doesn't lead anywhere.) He seems to wait until (i) I have hung the washing out and (ii) the wind is blowing right in the direction of my house - so away from his - to set it all on fire. Grrrr.

MagnaCharge Sun 13-Apr-14 09:37:43

I burn blighted potato and tomato plants towards the end of the summer if I have any. In a garden incinerator thing (looks like an old fashioned metal bin with holes and a chimney) it does smoke a bit but it needs to be done in the day because I need to watch it to make sure it stays safe.

DisgraceToTheYChromosome Sun 13-Apr-14 09:54:05

ParkingFred

Oh dear. It's not burning laurel that's harmful, it's chipping it that releases cyanide.

ForalltheSaints Sun 13-Apr-14 09:59:52

Would a bucket of water have put it out and could you have got to the fire?

I agree a Sunday morning is unreasonable.

coldwater1 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:21:55

I could jump a few fences into the garden but i doubt the bucket of water will make it! Lol

Ploppy16 Sun 13-Apr-14 10:25:31

Are you in a smokeless zone by any chance? Might he worth double checking with the council tomorrow..

candycoatedwaterdrops Sun 13-Apr-14 10:29:59

Earlier this week, I was having a nap on the sofa blush and it was a warm day, so all windows were wide open. I woke up with a start because I smelt fire. No, just a fucking bonfire. angry YANBU! The houses where we live are right on top of each other.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now