WIBU to wash my car with washing up liquid?

(57 Posts)

It's quite sunny and I need something to do outside. DD has chicken pox so she can't go out (she looks like a very sore piece of bubble wrap! ) but I could keep the front door open and wash the car while she snooze in the living room. But I don't have car wash shampoo. Do you think Fairy Liquid would be ok or will I wreck the Mummy Mobile?

I have been told by DH he will take it to the car wash Monday I am not to touch it. So I know how to get out of washing it in future grin

Nocomet Sat 12-Apr-14 16:36:39

Since my car has been 'washed' by sand filled flood water all winter and covered in Saharan sand last week, I don't think a bit of dilute WUL is going to hurt it.

ophiotaurus Sat 12-Apr-14 16:50:47

DH says no. He said it's not good for the paint.

HolidayCriminal Sat 12-Apr-14 17:13:13

Weird, I would do it but it's cheaper to use ordinary colour bio powder. Car shines up beautifully so can't see the harm.

HolidayCriminal Sat 12-Apr-14 17:20:21

How to make own carwash soap from household products.

what Can i wash my car with says it's okay.

So I don't know what the Fig to believe. [peeved smiley I'm not allowed] Will probably pop into Wilcos later anyway (poo).

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 17:29:44

Tell your DHs (why are they held up as the experts on MN so often? confused) that WUL is absolutely fine (many, many years of using it here without stripping the paint off my cars). You have to rinse it thoroughly (obviously) but if you're like me (and millions of others who can't be arsed) and don't wax your car regularly then no harm will come to your car.

Despite what your DH says.

LokiDokey Sat 12-Apr-14 17:38:21

My dear Mother washed my TR7 with washing up liquid a couple of weeks after I'd spent hours painstakingly waxing it. I could have cried. All my lovely wax gone.

fluffyraggies Sat 12-Apr-14 17:53:33

No no it doesnt strip the paint off sirC, it strips the wax off. The paint work on a car has a wax layer like a lacquer, which lengthens the life of the paintwork. Protects it from uv, scratches, grit, ect. Stripping it off without replacing will result in less shine and a dull, more vulnerable finish.

Fluffy's DH

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 17:53:49

So maybe that's it - if you can be arsed to spend hours waxing your car, don't use WUL. If you can't be arsed to spend hours waxing your car, then WUL is fine.

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 17:55:43

Less shine and a dull finish? Oh no, how AWFUL! grin

fluffyraggies Sat 12-Apr-14 17:55:51

Wax and wax 2 in 1?

Fiver.

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 17:56:30

Washing up liquid - 89p

fluffyraggies Sat 12-Apr-14 17:57:25

My car's nice and shiney wink

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 17:58:46

Mine's white - looks fine to me wink

fluffyraggies Sat 12-Apr-14 18:01:35

Fiver for 5 litres of the stuff by the way. And i keep my wax grin

SirChenjin Sat 12-Apr-14 18:06:15

Enjoy those hours waxing...hours of your life you'll never, ever get back grin

LokiDokey Sat 12-Apr-14 18:17:05

A good wax every 6 months is hardly a stretch and prolongs the life of your paintwork, it actually makes those washes 'in between' a lot quicker as well because the wax is stopping all the grit, flies etc getting to the paintwork and makes washing it away easier.
Wax also goes some way to protecting against chips, disguises little scratches and does stop paintwork from becoming dull.

I guess it depends on your attitude towards your car really.

Oldraver Sat 12-Apr-14 18:17:19

Who knew cars were so delicate

I did it once. It foamed up a treat. I couldn't be arsed to wash/shammy it all off, so drove to car wash. Foam did NOT fall off on way. Parked on garage forecourt to to pick up wash ticket. Cue panicked car was operator flying out of her seat before I'd even exited car, and asking in a shaky voice what had happened. Kept explaining that it wasn't a fault with their car wash, and that I hadn't even been in yet. but they insisted on giving me a free wash and to take my car through right now LOL! Result!

ICanSeeTheSun Sat 12-Apr-14 18:28:50

DH car was like glass, it took him months to get it like it again and then had an accident which wrote the care off.

RevoltingPeasant Sat 12-Apr-14 18:33:20

Was the accident due to his use of Fairy liquid?

<solemn face>

And yes, anyhow, of course you rinse, what kind of slattern washes a car without rinsing it??!

Marylou62 Sat 12-Apr-14 20:15:06

Long long time ago my bf and I were washing his Triumph Spitfire...his pride and joy. We only had the wul out to clean wheels but I put some directly on the bonnet...a massive swirl of it. Why? I don't know...He went ape and even tho it was washed off straight away, it stripped some colour off!!! I was mortified and always think of that day when washing my car even tho I don't do it often r and use wul if I do.

Nicola19 Sat 12-Apr-14 20:30:01

Fluffy is right. I just bought a nearly new car from ford dealers and the guy said dont use WUL as it strips the wax.

ChasingDogs Sat 12-Apr-14 22:26:37

Bloody hell, are we supposed to wash cars?! Isn't that what the rain is for? shock

Surely the caked on mud is good for protecting the paint underneath?

Maryz Sat 12-Apr-14 22:33:14

So did you do it?

I spent ten years of my childhood being very embarrassed by my mum's car. My little brother decided to wash it with Fairy Liquid and applied it near (on a sunny day), and didn't wash it off quickly enough.

It ended with faded pink squiggles all over a red mini grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now