Aibu to think that Fireman Sam

(35 Posts)
Leaningtoweroflisa Sat 12-Apr-14 10:30:03

Should not be wearing his uniform to dig in his garden on his day off?

In fact AIBU to wonder if anyone in the magical and dangerous town of Pontypandy has more than one set of clothing to their name?

neiljames77 Sat 26-Apr-14 10:51:46

Not wanting to derail the thread or anything but I don't think the girl in 64 Zoo lane should be sat talking to lions, hippos and crocodiles. It sets a really bad and potentially dangerous example.

Leaningtoweroflisa Sat 26-Apr-14 11:06:11

Oh totally, neil, v poor elf n safety. Luckily DS does not regard 64 zoo lane as mandatory viewing giving me time to mumsnet erm I mean quickly do some housework

I should correct my last post: how long does this phase of small children loving Sam last? not me oh no sadly, I would prefer to start Saturday morning vegging in front of last night's recorded Gardeners World...

TheoneFKAMNwidowed Sun 27-Apr-14 14:05:02

What gets me is I live in a small welsh town and the only time our 'part time' firefighters ever get the fire engine out is a Monday night when they do training. Plus along with its poor statistics on fire rescue, if I remember correctly the majority of people with kids in Pontypandy seem to single parent. The Welsh Assembly need to get a grip of that town, it's a disaster.

ProudAS Sun 27-Apr-14 15:02:14

You beat me to it Lisa

ProudAS Sun 27-Apr-14 15:06:42

Sorry posted too early. I was about to start a thread re the Trumpton fire brigade. At least Sam gets to put fires out and perform proper rescues (mayor's hat stuck in tree doesn't count as proper rescue).

TillyTellTale Sun 27-Apr-14 15:15:10

No, Dilys is the only single parent. The twins (Sarah and a male twin) belong to Blodwen and Sam's brother, and the other girl is the daughter of a sensible nurse and a terrible plumber.

jollyjester Mon 28-Apr-14 00:12:53

It annoys me that there was no explanation given as to what happened Bella from the earlier series? She disappeared. sad

My dd loves Fireman Sam and when the slightest thing goes wrong she fake calls him on her hand to rescue her. It's quite funny!

How did Browyns shop ever get 1000000 customers? hmm

grovel Mon 28-Apr-14 09:40:20

Previously, fireman Elvis Cridlington was a perfectly competent individual, as you’d expect from someone employed in the emergency services whose role would likely involve saving people from life-threatening situations. But in the modern Fireman Sam, although it’s never specifically stated, he seems to have some sort of cognitive deficit. It’s never addressed, but given his occupation, it’s likely he sustained some sort of head trauma while rescuing someone from a hazardous situation. And yet, Sam still insists on taking all the credit for any heroic action in Pontypandy? What an arse.

Filimou Mon 28-Apr-14 09:47:53

Psssst
Bella is coming back.....................

grovel Mon 28-Apr-14 09:49:57

In fairness, Sam was always the focus of the show for reasons that were never that clear. Station Officer Steele is the chief of the fire service, and Sam appears to be no more senior or dedicated than any of his colleagues. But it’s typical for one member of a group to be the spokesperson or the popular one, just by dint of being the most charming or friendly or what have you, and this always seemed to be the case originally.

The latest incarnation takes this to extremes though. Sam now looks and sounds more like a stripper who happens to be wearing the fireman’s outfit for this particular booking. All the characters now specifically say they’ll call Sam. Not the fire brigade or the emergency services; Sam specifically. And I've not witnessed one occasion where he tackles an issue single-handed. Yet he’s happy to take the credit, never correcting anyone when they thank him specifically, when his colleagues have all risked their lives as much as he has. His fellow firefighters once sang a song praising him specifically in front of the whole town and he just accepted this as normal. Part of me thinks he causes all of the calamities himself, for the attention. He’s probably got Munchausen by proxy, but with an entire town.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now