to wonder why hairdressers seem to be incapable of blow-drying hair without resorting to straighteners?

(87 Posts)
BakerStreetSaxRift Fri 11-Apr-14 17:38:51

And I don't like straighteners.

Why can't they just do a normal blow-dry anymore? It seems that whether you want your hair straight, curly or wavy, the straighteners come out. I feel like the hairdresser is cheating a bit, there used to be skill involved in a blow-dry.

Straighteners damage your hair and I don't want then used on my hair.

The hairdresser asked me at the beginning how I wanted it dried, I said "just a good blow-dry please", she then said "okay then shall I go over it with the straighteners or curl it?" I said "no thank you". Then she did it anyway. angry

And I know IABU because I didn't tell her to stop. I just sat there, made a face, then didn't leave a tip.

And, they always tug really hard on any knots, it hurts! I need to find a good hairdresser.

snickers251 Fri 11-Apr-14 18:50:06

It gives me rage when they ask about straighteners. If I wanted a half arsed dry and a straightener finish, i would do it myself for free!

I've recently moved areas and I have contemplated going back to my old amazing stylist .. Oh how me and my hair miss her

Nanny0gg Fri 11-Apr-14 19:11:28

For goodness sake! A hairdresser isn't a mind-reader!

If you don't want a head massage/product/straighteners

Just say so!

Passive-aggressive tip-withholding is just petty!

And if you don't like them, find another one!

Kittymautz Fri 11-Apr-14 19:21:45

I have a lot of v curly, long hair. If I go to Supercuts or similar they will blow dry it in 20 mins or do, and have to finish off with straighteners, and it's OK, but not super smooth.

At my proper hairdressers (bit further away and more expensive) she will take nearly an hour to blow dry it, I can feel literally stretching out each strand of hair, and she doesn't need to use straighteners at the end. After going there my hair is super smooth, soft and sleek.

So I think there are places that will do a good job, but you need to shop around.

BakerStreetSaxRift Fri 11-Apr-14 19:22:16

Okay NannyOgg - firstly, I did say no, she ignored it and did it anyway. I didn't say for a second time, granted.

I don't particularly care about the head massage, I carted about the breaking neck due to the sink height not being fixed.

Therefore, I think no tip is fair enough for a £40 haircut, where the styling skill displayed was just to use straighteners.

BakerStreetSaxRift Fri 11-Apr-14 19:25:35

A friend once told me that she was getting her hair cut and after edging it the lady asked if she wanted conditioner, friend said yes please, lady put a number of squirts of Bumble& Bumble Prep spray and continues to blow-dry.

At the end there is an extra £15 on the bill for a "conditioning treatment" confused

SconeRhymesWithGone Fri 11-Apr-14 19:34:12

I never let anyone get near me with a flat iron (as they are called in the US). My hair is naturally wavy and I like to keep some of the bend in it. I have it blown dry with a big round brush.

As it happens though, I have had my hair done in Glasgow during a recent trip to Scotland at the salon in the Glasgow Hilton (on William Street). I don't remember the young woman's name, but she did a great job on the blow dry and did not even mention straighteners.

grabaspoon Fri 11-Apr-14 19:35:57

Y hair dresser does a rough dry with a hair dryer.

BelleOfTheBorstal Fri 11-Apr-14 19:40:55

I hate going to the hairdressers and the last time I went, I refused the straighteners, as she had been blow drying my hair for twenty five minutes by that point. And I wanted to leave.

SerenaJoy Fri 11-Apr-14 19:53:49

My hairdresser does an amazing blow dry, but she's now taken to using the straighteners on my hair as well, and it ends up looking over-styled and too straight sad I don't know why she does it as it looks great after a proper blow dry.

She never asks me though and I always forget to say anything till it's too late (been going to her for years, too busy chatting probably!).

Needthesunshine Fri 11-Apr-14 20:02:18

Might be too far for you but I go to a salon called 2s company in Larkhall and they are great at blow drying and don't need to use straighteners. My hair is always lovely and bouncy when it's done.

Sicaq Fri 11-Apr-14 20:35:56

I've found they tend to whip out the straighteners without even asking. I then ask them not to use them as I prefer my hair in it's naturally wavy state. They then put the straighteners down, but not before looking at me as if I just landed from Mars.

JapaneseMargaret Fri 11-Apr-14 20:39:36

I threw my (ancient) GHDs out about three years ago, because I didn't like the dated, poker-straight look, and it does nothing for me.

I don't want a hairdresser using straighteners, either.

Samu2 Fri 11-Apr-14 20:44:41

I have a blow dry and straighteners.

I never blow dry my hair so she could skip that step really.

jamdonut Fri 11-Apr-14 20:48:51

My hairdresser blow dries my hair first,then straightens after. If she didn't do that it wouldn't look as nice. Then she goes back and adds feathery layers.

I blow dry then straighten my hair myself ,too. Don't see the problem actually.

jamdonut Fri 11-Apr-14 20:55:48

It all comes to £25 and I never tip. But then the owner always does my hair.

Applespearsorangesandlemons Fri 11-Apr-14 20:58:19

You are going to the wrong hairdressers if they use straighteners, I have never been to the hairdressers and had straighteners. They need to be pulling your hair hard, a quick tickle will never get you a good blow dry. My straight blow dry on curly hair usually lasts till I next wash my hair, up to 5 days and not a straightener in sight.

chrome100 Fri 11-Apr-14 20:59:31

Oh God, I love having my hair straightened at the hair dresser! They do such a good job (even the back which I always ignore!). I have big, wild wavy hair and love it being poker straight and light.

Sicaq Fri 11-Apr-14 21:08:31

I dunno; I have been to many different hairdressers - I move around a lot for work - and every single one, from high street to (occasional) posh salon, has automatically assumed I wanted straight hair.

Maybe it is an individual thing - perhaps they see my curls and assume I must dislike them. I don't, however unfashionable they may be wink

Oh no how crap for you op. I must be in a town full of good uns, as wherever I go I get a lovely blow dry.... come down to Newcastle, and go to Leaf Hairdressing. They are bloody great. It's not too far in the grand scheme of things... Katie Price flies to America for hr hair extensions....

dorathedestroyer Fri 11-Apr-14 21:21:31

Every time - every time - I get my hair done, I tell the hairdresser that straighteners make my curly hair go flat and dead. 'Please don't use the straighteners,' I say, politely. 'In one hour, my hair'll look all lank and unwashed, even if it looks nice as I walk out of the door here.' They always laugh, as if I haven't been wearing this hair on my head for nearly 40 years and know the lie of the land.

And despite this, every time, even if the stylist's roller set it, or blow dried it with a brush, the straighteners come out 'to finish it off'. Apart from anything else, by this stage my poor hair isn't up to another heated assault.

Obviously I still tip. I'm English.

Pollaidh Sat 12-Apr-14 20:36:09

My hairdresser and 4 others at her salon all do wonderful straightener-free blow drys, even though I have very difficult hair. I do ask for the top to be straightened a little, with straighteners after the blow dry, as it lasts a little longer.

lilrascal Sat 12-Apr-14 20:39:15

i've never had or seen straighteners used on a blow dry ... only seen a ghd used in a salon for ghd curls.

WilsonFrickett Sat 12-Apr-14 21:02:27

This happened to me when I had a blow dry in another city before a wedding - I was shock as I have the straightest hair in the world. Like lots of tiny pokers.

bimbobaggins Sat 12-Apr-14 21:18:10

My first ever post and its abouthairdressers! I hate going to the hairdressers I almost have a panic attack . Apparently its called weasslaphobia! I have a wonderful stylist now who is very sympathetic to my fear. She will always ask if you want the straightners or products etc.

BakerStreetSaxRift Sun 13-Apr-14 07:25:25

Okay, I've decided. Next time I go to the hairdressers I'm going to say (again) no straighteners please.

Then I'm going to reinforce it with some of the reasons I've heard on here like "I'm trying not to use too much heat on my hair to help its condition".

Having now walked about with it for two days, I also think it tangles more in the wind when it's been straightened. Could that be possible?

If they get out the straighteners I'll say no again, even if I feel uncomfortable.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now