To wonder what's so great about Starbucks?

(159 Posts)
ACatCalledColin Thu 10-Apr-14 12:44:58

Every time I go in there, it's always overcrowded and there's nowhere to sit or if it's not crowded the tables are usually still filthy from previous customers and nobody's bothering to clear them up hmm.

The coffee is okay but certainly not anything to write home about. I quite like their hot chocolate (especially with some caramel syrup) and frappes though. Unfortunately I always seem to get dragged in there by friends on shopping trips as they all seem to love it.

Even my 14 year old sister has started going there with friends after school and at weekends and they usually go for the coffee rather than the frappes. And she raves about Starbucks a lot these days too.

Do they hypnotize you into coming back for more of their dirty dishwater coffee? Are they trying to take over the world?

BoomBoomsCousin Sun 13-Apr-14 15:59:03

I don't think it's as easy to dismiss Starbucks' ethics as that grobags. I do think there are general problems wth multi-national corporations that Starbucks don't avoid but...

Starbucks pay above the industry standard for coffee and are the biggest Fair Trade purchaser in the world. While the industry standard is not a good bench mark, that's an issue with the coffee industry in general and just as applicable to other coffee shops. None of my local independents serve Fair Trade, nor do they provide any information on how they source their coffee.

Also, though I'm sure there are plenty of individual poor experiences, over all they're a sought-after employer. Starbucks has made Glassdoor's Best Companies to Work For list (an award based on employee opinions) for several years.

HelloBoys Sun 13-Apr-14 16:17:33

Starbucks is overrated but I quite like their small square cake things and pastrami sandwiches if I eat lunch there. I find staff in my work one to be quite rude/brusque but then I'm comparing to Caffe Nero who I love!

grobagsforever Sun 13-Apr-14 23:33:12

Have a Google and see some of the other nasty stuff they are into.

BoomBoomsCousin Mon 14-Apr-14 00:20:56

I have looked at their corporate social responsibility impact (along with numerous other comapnies) for work in the US in the past. There's plenty of bad but, on balance, probably less than average given their size. There's also a fair amount of good. It's complicated, hence I just said not so easily dismissed, rahter than claiming they were shining paragons of virtue. Small independent shops tend not to be that great on the whole (though huge variation) as many struggle to survive, so corner cutting quite common, but at least with them you don't have the issues that go hand-in-hand with multi-nationals.

Sharaluck Mon 14-Apr-14 00:23:31

I don't like their coffee but their same-same-same atmosphere in every store is nice.

musicalendorphins2 Mon 14-Apr-14 02:19:15

Dirty dishwasher, yep, that is what their 'coffee" tastes like. We tried it once, threw it away, and never again. We figure the people who enjoy the flavoured coffee drinks are the ones who love starbucks.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 14-Apr-14 19:50:30

Went there once to meet friends. The coffee was awful and all the tables were dirty. Would never go there again, people should try other smaller places. Don't agree that they get away with paying any tax too but that is the government's fault.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Mon 14-Apr-14 19:51:58

Should read "without paying tax".

Southeastdweller Mon 14-Apr-14 22:15:55

mushy It's not always possible to go to smaller places - as been stated several times upthread, a couple of reasons of many why Starbucks is so successful is because there's so many branches and the long opening hours.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now