ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To wonder what's so great about Starbucks?

(159 Posts)
ACatCalledColin Thu 10-Apr-14 12:44:58

Every time I go in there, it's always overcrowded and there's nowhere to sit or if it's not crowded the tables are usually still filthy from previous customers and nobody's bothering to clear them up hmm.

The coffee is okay but certainly not anything to write home about. I quite like their hot chocolate (especially with some caramel syrup) and frappes though. Unfortunately I always seem to get dragged in there by friends on shopping trips as they all seem to love it.

Even my 14 year old sister has started going there with friends after school and at weekends and they usually go for the coffee rather than the frappes. And she raves about Starbucks a lot these days too.

Do they hypnotize you into coming back for more of their dirty dishwater coffee? Are they trying to take over the world?

Chocotrekkie Thu 10-Apr-14 14:17:59

I think if you can spend ages with free wifi on a comfy sofa chatting to friends/family or reading a book in peace for a couple of quid is fab.

Going out to bring coffee back to the office where we get perfectly good kenco for free confuses me.

HelenHen Thu 10-Apr-14 14:22:00

I prefer Starbucks to Costa and neros... But I'd much much prefer a decent independent cafe... Unfortunately there are none where I live! I like going out for coffee and relaxing and having a chat so Starbucks it must be... Much as I hate chains and their desire to take over the world grrrrrrr!

caruthers Thu 10-Apr-14 14:22:03

I have never been to Starbucks or any other branded coffee outlet.

Paying that much for a coffee is obscene in my opinion.

OnIlkleyMoorBahTwat Thu 10-Apr-14 14:25:09

Nocomet if you are still here, what do you mean by McDs coffee being ruined? Since when? I didn't notice the difference last time I had one - about a month ago - has it changed?

I don't like Starbucks coffee but don't mind Costa or Nero, but think they are an utter rip off. But I quite like McDs coffee, and at half the price of Costa, I don't think its worth paying the extra for some perceived 'atmosphere' or image.

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 10-Apr-14 14:27:22

I'm not a Starbucks fan. I don't like coffee for a start but their hot chocolate is terrible, watery and tasteless. Much prefer Costa hot chocolate.

Their tea is awful too, how wrong can you go with tea? It's just weak and grey.

ACatCalledColin Thu 10-Apr-14 14:31:54

I'm not a Starbucks fan. I don't like coffee for a start but their hot chocolate is terrible, watery and tasteless. Much prefer Costa hot chocolate.

You see, I think Starbucks hot chocolate is just devine. I've never found it watery or tasteless, on the contrary I find it nice and creamy, sweet and comforting.

I've heard people rave about Costa hot chocolate (online I mean) and decided to try it out myself. I wasn't impressed. I found it tasteless and blech.

ACatCalledColin Thu 10-Apr-14 14:32:42

Hot chocolate from Nero is also yummy.

Whiskwarrior Thu 10-Apr-14 14:33:32

Well, I like Starbucks. I also like Costa and Cafe Nero. I'm going through a Costa phase at the moment (because they do toast!) but will probably go back to Starbucks or Nero at some point, then start the circle all over again.

I just like somewhere warm and cosy where I can have a read of my book. And there are TONS of independent places near me (live on the coast) but their coffee is always over-priced for a thimble-full OR cheap for watery, tasteless cheap instant out of one of those industrial-sized tubs from a warehouse somewhere.

So I stick to the chains.

FunLovinBunster Thu 10-Apr-14 14:58:27

I love the fact that their coffee is overpriced.
And looks and tastes like liquid shit.
And I really love the fact they take pleasure in underpaying their taxes on their profits by manipulating the tax system.

shamelesshussie Thu 10-Apr-14 15:54:48

Someone once told me the reason starbucks coffee is so vile and bitter is because they store their beans in a warehouse for ages to deliberately let them go stale so the taste is consistant from shop to shop, fuck knows if that's true though

LydiasLunch Thu 10-Apr-14 15:57:18

Salted caramel hot chocolate. Drunk very fast as it doesn't stay hot, with plenty of salt.

Namechangeforamo Thu 10-Apr-14 16:02:28

Its a brand thing, like coke or levis. People think they are buying a 'cool' lifestyle because they see so many images of cool people hanging out in coffee shops. Much prefer tea myself.

mumofthemonsters808 Thu 10-Apr-14 16:07:13

I really like Starbucks but we are surrounded by Costa and Nero who I don't rate. My only gripe with Starbucks is how busy they get, but I've always found the tables are cleared rapidly and you are served very quickly. I adore their Lates and DD loves their smoothies. As I do not go very often it is a nice treat when we do stumble across one.

AllMimsyWereTheBorogroves Thu 10-Apr-14 16:07:30

I just do not get the current fad for adding salt to sweet things. Doctors are trying to get us to cut down on salt and here we are looking for things we can add salt to. How long before there's a salted caramel flavour Coke?

Consistency. You know what you're going to get and you know how much you're going to be paying.

I quite like Starbucks and if it was really that vile, it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

It is because you can spend as long as you like using free wifi, hogging a whole sofa whilst working on your laptop and only ever have to buy 1 small coffee. The staff in our closest one never move people on. One guy goes in for coffee at 9 am and is still there most days at 4pm (I pass him going to and from school with the kids)

expatinscotland Thu 10-Apr-14 16:12:47

We are all going to die. May as well eat what you love.

Charlieboo30 Thu 10-Apr-14 16:15:05

I'm not a massive Starbucks fan but I LOVE their caramel hot chocolate. Nothing compares. Also like cafe nero's hot chocolate. I don't think much to costas - it just seems watery. I don't really drink coffee so can't comment on that.

I like how I can go into one of those places for an hour to read and nobody bothers me. We have a nice independent cafe where I live but I know the owner and she always wants to chit chat!

ACatCalledColin Thu 10-Apr-14 16:15:08

I quite like Starbucks and if it was really that vile, it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

Oh I agree. I certainly don't think it's vile - the hot chocolate and frappes are yummy. The coffee isn't really to my taste but that's because I generally prefer very strong coffee so I go to Nero for that. The coffee is nice and strong there.

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Thu 10-Apr-14 16:19:47

I never normally come on these threads as I work for Starbucks and I try to avoid getting involved. But, shamlesshussie, no, that's not true at all. Some green (unroasted) coffee is stored for a long time but this is specifically to age it for a different flavour profile.

shamelesshussie Thu 10-Apr-14 16:28:24

Aha, fair enough, I did take it with a pinch of salt myself!

This might be appropriate to roll out now

i.imgur.com/P7Pxv9n.jpg

Wuxiapian Thu 10-Apr-14 16:30:01

Starbucks coffee is awful. I don't understand it's popularity, either.

RedFocus Thu 10-Apr-14 16:39:15

Their caramel creme frap!! wink

Preciousbane Thu 10-Apr-14 16:51:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Preciousbane Thu 10-Apr-14 16:56:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now