Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that I'm not the only Cricket Widow suffering already.

(19 Posts)
daiseehope Mon 07-Apr-14 00:08:45

This could be light hearted but it's not really. Cricket in a few weeks, Ground work party yesterday. Pints after, followed by pints, followed by a verbal battering for me when he stumbled through the door. Please tell me I'm not alone hereangry.

hippoinamudhole Mon 07-Apr-14 05:02:22

Do you also get asked to do teas?

Littleturkish Mon 07-Apr-14 06:29:47

Verbal battering? Are you ok?

Littlefish Mon 07-Apr-14 06:36:02

Groundwork day - yes
A few pints - well maybe one
Verbal battering - absolutely not.

Was the verbal battering a normal occurrence or one usually only connected with the alcohol?

Are you ok?

mycatlikestwiglets Mon 07-Apr-14 07:38:04

I was with you until the verbal battering bit. Hope you're ok OP

Ploppy16 Mon 07-Apr-14 07:55:59

Well..
groundwork meeting, on Saturday, check.
A few pints every weekend until September, check.
Endless fecking meetings because he's a commitee man, check.
The odd match and muscle aches afterwards, inevitable.
Verbal battering... No. Not at all. What's happening OP?

HowContraryMary Mon 07-Apr-14 08:01:00

Did you have to watch endless hours of womens cricket on the telly yesterday too?. Sport I can tolerate if its a real one but there are lines that have to be drawn.

Funnyfoot Mon 07-Apr-14 08:07:57

My DH loves the cricket so I do lose his attention for a bit but OP a verbal battering and drinking to excess is never ok!

Is this something that happens outside of the cricket season or something that happens after alcohol?

I hope you are ok OP

daiseehope Mon 07-Apr-14 08:09:36

Thanks for replying, the fact is I hate this sport + alcohol thing. I see a lot of the blokes glugging away turning into twats in the process. Anything kicks off there and he gets drunk and comes home and insults me. This time I was a stupid fucking cow. Last season oh the promises that were made.... I know it's not normal, My dad is a cricketer and he doesn't do it.

Littleturkish Mon 07-Apr-14 20:04:03

Really isn't normal and not on at all.

How are you going to approach the problem? I take it last season was the same?

beamme Mon 07-Apr-14 20:13:29

I too am a cricket widow. Have no idea what a ground work party is but pre-season training has started and takes precedent over everything. As does the obligatory pint afterwards. Not long before the weekends are lost sad

fayrae Mon 07-Apr-14 20:45:38

The OPs husband is just an arsehole, I don't see why cricket comes into it at all.

nostress Mon 07-Apr-14 21:21:34

Hi, I'm no longer a cricket widow as I'm on the committee lol. 19 blokes and me! Was nominated by DHs team mates (hes not on it). To be fair DH never grumpy after cricket. Your other half sounds like he has alcohol linked aggression. It was cricket force weekend. In fact DH was away with DS1 and I spent friday night geting pissed at the cricket club and was also there saturday daytime... With his team mates...

borisgudanov Sat 12-Apr-14 10:35:41

What about the whining after losing by seven wickets again and getting out for single figures because the fucking umpire needs glasses? I mean that ball pitched well outside off stump, any idiot could see that.

As for verbals after pints upon pints - sounds like you need to step back, time you stroke, and smite him hard over midwicket and out of the ground for six.

CadleCrap Sat 12-Apr-14 10:41:18

I love being a cricket widow - 7 hrs on my own with the DCs doing what I want. I frigging hate the actual cricket.

DH doesn't come home pissed so IMO your DP is an arse

DoctorTwo Sat 12-Apr-14 10:52:34

sounds like you need to step back, time you stroke, and smite him hard over midwicket and out of the ground for six.

^ What boris said. He's an arse.

nokidshere Sat 12-Apr-14 11:00:30

The season started last night for us with the first training session. DH and both boys will be playing/scoring/umpiring from next sunday until September. We don't get time for proper meals, holidays, or family time. But they all love it and I get plenty of time to myself - either at home or sitting in the sun (hopefully) watching the matches.

But I don't get drunkenness or verbal abuse and nor should you.

ConferencePear Sat 12-Apr-14 11:03:05

I hated being a cricket widow. Both days every weekend when the children were small meant that we had no summer family outings.
It's funny too, how they sometimes don't really want to play, but have to in order not to let their mates down.
As for teas ............

I think cricket was a major factor in the breakdown of my marriage.

borisgudanov Sat 12-Apr-14 14:25:33

Cricket would be OK if the golden ducks laid eggs, isn't it? I enjoy watching it but it does seem to produce some memorable arseholes. My F is a cricket twat, he thought he was the best leg-spinner in England throughout the 50s and 60s but actually all he was was the greatest fathead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now