to ask what trypopphobia is?

(81 Posts)
ilikeyourface Sat 05-Apr-14 21:55:30

Too scared to google

It's a fear of holes I think.

Chloerose75 Sat 05-Apr-14 21:56:56

I don't dare to open the thread re the picture in active convos as I don't know what it is either!

WorraLiberty Sat 05-Apr-14 21:57:05

Why?

Just Google it

PolkaSpottyDotty Sat 05-Apr-14 21:57:15

Fear of small holes. Unusual!!

NurseyWursey Sat 05-Apr-14 21:59:29

Fear of holes and clusters.

HicDraconis Sat 05-Apr-14 21:59:37

Fear of objects with multiple small holes (sponges, beehives, some seed head type things).

Sandthorn Sat 05-Apr-14 21:59:49

Oh god, don't google it. It's sooooooo horrible. Sometimes you're just better off not knowing.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 05-Apr-14 22:00:19

The term trypophobia [1] was coined in 2005, a combination of the Greek trypo (punching, drilling or boring holes) and phobia.[2] Although it is not recognized in the American Psychiatric Association's Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders,[2][3] thousands of people claim to be affected by the phobia, which involves the fear of objects with small holes, such as beehives, ant hills and lotus seed heads.[3]

IdkickJilliansAss Sat 05-Apr-14 22:02:17

My mum genuinely has it, they make my skin crawl but not to the same extent as her

ilikeyourface Sat 05-Apr-14 22:02:57

I think I shall not google and leave myself in blissful innocence

Shaky Sat 05-Apr-14 22:04:33

In this case, ignorance is definately bless.

Do NOT google.

RosegoldRuby Sat 05-Apr-14 22:04:42

YADBU,
Aaaaarrrgggghhhh!

Stay in blissful ignorance.

Shaky Sat 05-Apr-14 22:04:53

*bliss

RosegoldRuby Sat 05-Apr-14 22:06:49

Xpost with shaky.

Listen to us woman....

Topaz25 Sat 05-Apr-14 22:08:23

I think I know which image you are referring to when you say don't google it and if it makes anyone feel better, that photo is fake.

Allofaflumble Sat 05-Apr-14 22:09:23

My mum had it. It is a fear of certain patterns, not necessarily holes. One day I saw an old lady with joined up blotches on her legs and I felt a fear and my skin was crawling and itching.

I find it quite distressing to see shells in a pattern. If anyone saw the Harry Hill film they will know what I mean. It was a job for me to stay in my seat!

Tree bark, macaroni standing up in a saucepan, bubbles, those thin mushrooms all joined together on stalks, corals...cracks in dry earth...can all set me off shuddering and itching and just generally feeling very disturbed. Such a strange thing.

HumphreyCobbler Sat 05-Apr-14 22:10:56

If you google you may develop this phobia <bitter voice of experience>

Mine came from mumsnet about five years ago. One casual reference, one incautious google and BOOM.

LucyBabs Sat 05-Apr-14 22:11:49

I've googled and most pictures are photo shopped!

lunar1 Sat 05-Apr-14 22:14:02

Every time this thread comes up I think there is something wrong with me. I find the pictures quite relaxing!

phantomnamechanger Sat 05-Apr-14 22:15:24

I have this now, albeit probably quite mildly, thanks to MN and googling - there are some things you are better off remaining blissfully unaware of!

some of the pics make my skin crawl and head itch, it's really odd.

I have this. Have had since being very young, when there was no 'name' for it.

GreatSoprendo Sat 05-Apr-14 22:27:35

Do not ask what it is. And above all, don't google it. You can't unsee that shit.

I can't stand small regular shaped bubbles confused

DoJo Sat 05-Apr-14 22:31:00

I really don't get it - I have never met anyone who has it, but it seems incredibly prevalent on MN! I find the neatness of nature quite appealing, but I feel for those who do find it unsettling as you never know when you might encounter something which might trigger it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now