to wish my family woudl wear less clothes, or something.

(24 Posts)
Oakmaiden Sat 05-Apr-14 21:27:27

because this washing just goes on forever...

YANBU.

How old are your DCs though? Can you train them to do the washing?

Coldlightofday Sat 05-Apr-14 21:29:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NormHonal Sat 05-Apr-14 21:30:45

Spray on/wash off clothes are what we need.

<patents idea>
<realises that Despicable Me got there first>

NormHonal Sat 05-Apr-14 21:31:50

Oops, make that Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.

[tired-from-too-much-laundry emoticon]

mamicar Sat 05-Apr-14 21:33:31

I hear ya. On my 4th load today and still 3 to go!

<<slattern disclaimer>> snowed under with college work so havent done any washing in a week, though you would think it was a month the amount I have!

i know, i feel your pain, i have great pain, bloody washign everywhere, clean dirty, waiting to be ironed, put away, aargh. <<drowns>>

Oakmaiden Sat 05-Apr-14 21:35:47

Can you train them to do the washing?

You'd have thought so, but it never works out like that. At 9, 0 and 16 they SHOULD be capable... but eldest, and youngest, have SN, and are not really reliable... I do ask them to put their own clothes in the washing basket, and to take the clean, folded and ironed ones and put in their drawers, but even that seems mostly beyond them.

Middle is just a bit lazy, can't see why she should have to if the boys don't, and (moment of honesty) doesn't FOLD things properly... SO I would prefer to do it myself than end up with badly folded washing which has gone through the wrong cycle and has had colours run... I just wish there wasn't so flaming much of it. I am fairly confident that half the things I am given to wash haven't even been worn...

Artandco Sat 05-Apr-14 21:36:04

What you need is x2 washer/ dryers. Not seperate washing machine and dryer. Then whites in one, darks in the other. Turn in a wash and dry cycle and 2-2 1/2 hrs later all washing is clean and dry and just needs folding

Oakmaiden Sat 05-Apr-14 21:36:54

Middle child is 10, not 0. I think if she was 0 it would be a bit much to even ask her to help...

LettertoHermioneGranger Sat 05-Apr-14 21:37:07

DP just mentioned to me yesterday that his work uniforms, the majority of the wash, can be laundered through the work's laundry service, he just needs to drop them off at work every week.

My elation was curbed by the fact he's never realized this before.

Oakmaiden Sat 05-Apr-14 21:37:57

Artandco - what a fab idea! Wish I could do that...

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Sat 05-Apr-14 21:38:32

You don't necessarily need to wash everything which appears in the laundry basket. If I know a pair of jeans have only been worn for a few hours, I just put them back in the cupboard. Or hang them outside for a bit to make them smell fresh.

Big laundry heap here today, hoping the ironing fairies come in the night.

shebird Sat 05-Apr-14 21:39:00

YANBU
Totally fed up, it just goes on forever. Having girls must be the worst with endless outfit changes and the trying on of freshly ironed clothes which then get dumped on the floor angry

NoodleOodle Sat 05-Apr-14 21:39:42

Don't waste your time washing clothes that haven't been worn, for a start. Look at how you're getting so much laundry. Could you get children to change into a onesie after school, or any other strategy to wear and therefore need to wash clothes less often?

hardbeingme Sat 05-Apr-14 21:40:17

YANBU
seriously suspect the contents of the basket breeds and multiplies when i'm not looking...

Letter Ltb!!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 05-Apr-14 21:40:41

I've been away this week, forgot to take some washing out, the lazy twats had left it there and so obviously did no more <looking at YOU dh>. I have just done my washing. They know the way to get to fuck.

Oakmaiden Sat 05-Apr-14 21:45:46

If I'm certain they have't been worn then I don't wash them, but I'm not up to sniffing underwear just to prove whether it is fresh or not... bleugh...

CustardOmlet Sat 05-Apr-14 21:55:10

I've been trying to train DH to put his dirty washing in the basket for 8yrs, any suggestions? Iv taken to hiding his dirty clothes under the bed, hoping that he learns when he runs out of clean clothes!

LettertoHermioneGranger Sat 05-Apr-14 22:07:22

hardbeingme I considered it.

Oakmaiden, I was in charge of my own laundry at 10. I can see that she might feel it's unfair, but it's really not an unreasonable responsibility for her to have. Do it in steps, have her sort the laundry with you, do the washing herself and then give you the basket of dry clothes to fold. (Eventually have her sorting herself and maybe doing the folding - but you may have to learn to live with her having clothes that are a bit wrinkly.)

Pretty soon she'll likely be very particular about the appearance of her clothes anyway.

Marylou62 Sat 05-Apr-14 23:12:37

I must be very sad because out of all the horrible chores, I actually don't mind the washing.)and I have a horse mad DD and a sports mad DS so LOTS of muddy clothes) Happiness is a line of dry washing..!!! This wet weather is a bit bad as not much gone on line...but I have 2 airers by the boiler, am very strict on how it gets stretched out and folded when dry. I also hang up 70% of towels that get thrown on pile. I hardly ever iron. Must admit if this was a tread about dusting or hovering.......

OOAOML Sat 05-Apr-14 23:16:32

They know the way to get to fuck.

I may want to adopt this as my mantra....

Ludways Sat 05-Apr-14 23:19:38

I think my neighbours for 3 houses at either side, must drop their washing her every week, I wish they'd stop!

It's the socks that get me. 70 fucking socks a week, as a minimum. Still, its nearly sandal weather I suppose.

And 42 pairs of pants. Youngest still in nappies thank goodness!!

Aaaaargh

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now