Two grown men in the toddler pool

(121 Posts)
GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 05-Apr-14 18:55:05

I'm not sure how I should have behaved. Our local pool has a completely separate toddler pool in addition to a shallow training pool and a full large adult pool. I took 18 month old dd yesterday and we got in the toddler pool which has toys and small platforms etc. Initially we were the only ones in there and then two men in their forties got in and just seemed to be relaxing on the steps and chatting. Being quite reserved, I quietly asked a member of staff why there were adults in the baby pool without children. He responded that he wasn't sure; his colleague let them in and he thought one of then might have a disability.

I'm not sure how I should have felt about this but I felt uncomfortable. I didn't feel able to confront them myself so we just left.

I think maybe the staff should be absolutely sure if who they let in the toddler pool and why. The men certainly did not have any physical needs so could have gone in the training pool which is also warm and shallow if necessary. I'm not sure if this is terribly un-pc though...

formerbabe Sat 05-Apr-14 18:56:40

Maybe they didn't realise and thought it was like the spa section of the pool iykwim.

I don't think its particularly dodgy.

PastPerfect Sat 05-Apr-14 18:57:08

What was the issue with them being there confused

JumpingJackSprat Sat 05-Apr-14 18:57:16

Why the fuck would you immediately assume they had any interest in you or your kid? Step away from the daily mail!

Coldlightofday Sat 05-Apr-14 18:57:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

brokenhearted55a Sat 05-Apr-14 18:57:23

What did you think they were going to do?

whitepuddingsupper Sat 05-Apr-14 18:57:41

YABU I think, it's a public pool, other members of the public were there, suck it up.

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 05-Apr-14 18:58:00

I can't see the problem as such.

If they aren't stopping you doing what you're doing, they're not playfighting etc, and not over crowding the pool, surely there's no issue?I

EdithWeston Sat 05-Apr-14 18:58:00

You are uncomfortable that there are other people using a public swimming pool?

Joules68 Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:09

What's the issue?

grabaspoon Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:12

Why didnt you feel comfortable?

AmIthatWintry Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:13

Can I ask why you felt uncomfortable? Were they staring at you? Did they make comments in your earshot?

ThatBloodyWoman Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:39

And how did you know they haven't got a disability?

My mum has a bad heart and can't go in water under a certain temperature.

YellowBellow Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:39

I think it's weird too.

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 18:59:47

I can't see an issue. Like that bloody woman said if they were messing about you would have a point but just sat relaxing? No issue IMO

Umm okaaaaaay.

Shock horror, all 40something men are raging peados.

hmm

Id have just splashed around as much as I could!

YellowBellow Sat 05-Apr-14 19:00:27

I think it's weird too.

MuttonCadet Sat 05-Apr-14 19:00:42

I think you're response is a bit odd.

LizLemonOut Sat 05-Apr-14 19:01:54

biscuit

Joules68 Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:01

What's weird yellow ?

formerbabe Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:07

Why's it weird?

Is there a sign saying its a toddler pool?

If not, then maybe they just didn't know.

You are with your child at all times in the pool so its a non issue IMO.

Coldlightofday Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lagos Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:35

What?! Leaving aside your raging paranoia OP I am amazed you can diagnose someone's needs by looking!

Not everything is visible. And men don't need policing!

GuybrushThreepwoodMP Sat 05-Apr-14 19:02:49

Strong responses! Fair enough- I wasn't immediately assuming they were going to attack my kid at all- I just felt that it was a bit strange that they were there in the place specifically meant for tiny ones and want sure if this was the correct response at all. I shall accept that I was being unreasonable though! That's why I asked after all smile smile

For the record, I do not EVER read the DM.

I wouldn't want to go in there as I'd be thinking it was full of wee but I can't see why you'd have a problem with them being in there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now