AIBU to move so as dc is closer to school?

(13 Posts)
RedPencilPot Sat 05-Apr-14 18:32:37

If we move we will definitely have to increase our mortgage.

Currently it's a 35 min drive to school (I work there) and it would be much easier if dc came to school with me- he's 2 now so a few years off.

I have no family near so having him in school close to where we live now would be hard to manage and would mean very long days. If we don't move and he goes to school with me it'll still mean v long days but I would be with him for more of it, albeit in the car.

Houses are sooooo expensive where I want to move to, so I do worry about that and interest rates etc.

Keep going round in circles - AIBU silly to want to move?

Hoping for some words of wisdom as I'm so torn!

formerbabe Sat 05-Apr-14 18:34:25

If you don't move, would your ds get into that school?

RedPencilPot Sat 05-Apr-14 18:36:06

Yes he would. Being a staff member is one of the top criteria.

Good point.

Forgettable Sat 05-Apr-14 18:36:52

You need to scrutinise admisdion criteria closely and bear in mind that criteria CAN change year on year

Forgettable Sat 05-Apr-14 18:37:23

X post

LetsFaceTheMusicAndDance Sat 05-Apr-14 18:37:37

Kids often like to have friends in knocking distance when they're old enough to be free range. And low interest rates won't be around for ever so make sure you have a plan for that.

Hoppinggreen Sat 05-Apr-14 19:07:55

Never heard of that criteria. Are you in England?

RedPencilPot Sat 05-Apr-14 19:17:44

Not in England, NI.

schokolade Sat 05-Apr-14 19:19:28

Would you be likely to keep your job for the duration of his time there?

Pinkje Sat 05-Apr-14 19:21:39

Do you have a partner? Where is his work based? Is that a consideration?

Sirzy Sat 05-Apr-14 19:46:13

Living that far from school would also be a pain for parties, 'play dates' etc especially if everyone else lives locally to the school

ikeaismylocal Sat 05-Apr-14 19:54:47

Wouldn't it be easier to apply for jobs colser to home? Parties and playdates would be harder.

I also think it might not be such a good idea to work in the same school you child attends.

CharlesRyder Sat 05-Apr-14 20:00:08

I would say move if you can afford it. It will give you both so much time back. I currently take my DS on a 35min trip to his school (he's in his Nursery year), which I thought would be fine, but in reality we are both already sick of it after two terms.

We are re-locating to a place where he will go to school in the village we live in and I am so pleased and relieved we can drop the commute.

The one thing I would say is that when you live very close to work you do see the parents and kids EVERYWHERE so think about how you feel about that. I work in my catchment school currently (not DS's school obviously) and I am also glad to be getting away from the endless polite conversations is Sainsbury's. When I look for my next job I will look for one a little way out of the village. Maybe living 10mins away by car would be the ideal.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now