To just want to poo in peace?

(35 Posts)

I never get to go to the loo in peace. DS is always barging in and talking/moaning or climbing on me. It's not just going to the loo either, I can't remember the last time I had a peaceful, uninterrupted soak in the bath without having to get out to deal with something or a certain little man crying until I let him "get in", or DH entering the bathroom, sitting on the loo and interrogating me about some arbitrary thing!

DH doesn't seem to see what I am complaining about or the importance of just having a few minutes a day of head-space to think! Please tell me it's not just me!

AmIthatWintry Sat 05-Apr-14 22:15:30

I know this is OT, but I can no longer poo in peace thanks to a thread on here two days ago.

It was about <shudder> rats, and I guarantee if you read it, you won't want to be lingering in the bathroom

am still traumatised

DoJo Sat 05-Apr-14 22:35:34

I don't believe in locks after one of the dc managed to lick themselves in.

Ignoring the hilarious/disturbing typo (grin) - why not just put them up high? My son will have to be as tall as me to reach ours and if he can't work out how to exit a loo by then we will have bigger issues...

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 06-Apr-14 00:46:09

God this is me too. To the point where I am having bowel problems because I can't relax (tmi)

I work part time, and I mostly poo at work. DP refuses to fit a lock because he is worried Ds will lock himself on. FGS.

cardibach Sun 06-Apr-14 14:09:02

Have you no lock brigade no thought for visitors? I hat going in someone else's house when I can't lock the door - makes me feel very insecure! Also - if your kids interrupt you, there is a high probability they will barge in on a guest. I can assure you that however much they say it is OK, they hate it when that happens. A high lock is the answer if you can't trust your DCs to leave it alone when told to (that worked for me: 'DD, don't lock the door,' 'OK mum,' no issue)or else one of those locks that can be opened from the outside with a screwdriver.

PigletJohn Sun 06-Apr-14 14:24:54

can there really be people who have never seen a bathroom lock turn and release?

Guitargirl Sun 06-Apr-14 14:28:15

Cardibach - yes, absolutely, we go and stay with family members a few times a year and they don't have a lock on their bathroom door, it's a real pain.

We have one which can be opened from the outside with a coin. It works the other way too, we came home from the park the other day with a friend of DD's who we had met in the park for an unplanned play/tea. When we got home DP was in the bath with the door open and I locked it from the outside so DD's friend wasn't totally traumatised at seeing DD's Dad in the bath...!

I think it's very rude and inhospitable not to have a high lock. I never lock the bathroom door, and nor does DH, except when we have visitors.

Was at a family gathering at BILs recently and we all had to make an announcement when we were going to the loo as there was no lock on it - most peculiar and undignified! hmm

alemci Sun 06-Apr-14 14:37:46

lock the door. I used to love 5 minutes peace to about the elephant, as did my dear dcsmile

alemci Sun 06-Apr-14 14:44:06

re think your no lock policy for your own sanity. you are entitled to go to the loo in peace.

our bathroom has an open on the outside lock

2rebecca Sun 06-Apr-14 16:05:16

I wouldn't live in a house without a bathroom lock. Ours can be operated from the outside with a screwdriver if a small sprog locked themselves in but the lock is quite stiff so if you're old enough to lock yourself in you generally can unlock it and we've never had a problem.
Anyone screaming and banging on the bathroom door just for attention would get short shrift and wouldn't do it again.
My husband knows I like my privacy and knocks and waits if he wants me. Yours obviously doesn't know you aren't happy with his intrusiveness.
YABU for whining about the issue if you don't intend to fix it and just want to play martyrs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now