AtYourCervix Sat 05-Apr-14 18:07:39

But wjich one?

A Princess?

A Penny?

A Britannia?

A Tubey Something?

I Must Have One but can't decode!

AtYourCervix Sun 06-Apr-14 11:17:26

i'm 5 ft 7. no need for a baby seat. I would rather like a basket on the front though.

AtYourCervix Sun 06-Apr-14 11:23:17

I'm going to need a bike rack for my car too.

and this here

Stinkyminkymoo Sun 06-Apr-14 11:24:58

I came across this thread lat night & have been looking at those gorgeous Bobbin bikes. I've been thinking about getting a bike for ages and now I've found the perfect one! smile

This is why I love MN!

ch1a Sun 06-Apr-14 11:25:09

Basket is fine on the front of the parabike. Given what you have said I'd go for that one and enjoy!

AtYourCervix Sun 06-Apr-14 11:30:32

even better

I MUST have one!

Aeroflotgirl Sun 06-Apr-14 11:43:25

I have no doubt they are beautifully made, just not my taste.

WetAugust Sun 06-Apr-14 12:09:00

My picador trike is easier to ride with a bit of weight in the back basket, otherwise it can be quite skittish to steer. Still adore it though.

I have had many bikes over decades, mainly Raleigh's. My top favourite was a Raleigh Wayfarer from 1972', a real workhorse that took me everywhere in my teens. It had a steel frame, front basket, rear basket that hung off old fashioned steel sprung saddle. It had no gears until I had 3 speed fitted.

It rusted away in the she'd over the years. I thought the Pashley Princess would be a similar replacement for the wayfarer as it too was step-through etc.
I was very wrong.
I know the Pashley is slow and heavy because I use all my bikes on the same stretch of cycle track and time my journey (to the pub) . My 16 gear mountain bike is fastest and my replacement revamped Wayfarer is a close second (it whirs along nicely). The PAshley is the slowest for the same about of effort and it's not a smooth ride. It a fight to get the PAshley going.

Which is why you find so map any almost new machines on eBay and why I shall be selling mine.
Also, the front basket can stop you seeing ruts and stones. The sit and beg position is good for preventing back ache.

You can get a PIcador on its side in the average large hatchback, or take it on the train. A courier would cost you about £25. I wouldn't consider riding one 100 miles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now