to ask for your gluten-free pizza base recipe!

(16 Posts)
drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:11:45

posting here for traffic

I am still not happy with my gluten-free pizza crust. Two coeliac DC here, so we cook gf for whole family. Kids like the pizza I make, but DH and I don't particularly - it's a bit doughy. I'd like to achieve something closer to the one that Pizza Express make!

If anyone has a great gf pizza base recipe, I'd really like to try it. I have a Panasonic breadmaker if that helps, but happy to do it by hand too.

CorusKate Sat 05-Apr-14 15:19:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HarrietVaneAgain Sat 05-Apr-14 15:20:38

Someone here suggested a cauliflower pizza base for low-carbing. Worth a try!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sat 05-Apr-14 15:25:27

Are the PE ones nice? Do miss a good pizza. I make one, but it's more a topped bread, juvela mix, with spot of olive oil to a thick batter, spread it out, let it rise, push it out again, top and bake.

ClemencePoesy Sat 05-Apr-14 15:31:45

200g doves farm plain g/f flour mix
1 egg
2 tbs Olive oil
1 yeast sachet
150ml warm (not hot it kills yeast) milk
2 tbs vinegar
1tsp xantham gum
1&1/2 tbs honey (to feed the yeast)

Chuck it all in a bowl, work into a dough, knead very well, pound the shit out of it, add more warm milk if it's too dry or more flour if it's too wet.
Place in a slightly oiled bowl, cover with damp tea towel put in a very warm place for 2-3 hrs at least, take out pound again, roll out (normally make 2 pizzas) bake on high for 15 mins or until mostly cooked but not Brown on the edges. Take out, top with sauce cheese etc, bake for further 20mins on medium.

I've tried many different recipes, this is the best and apart from the proving (it won't rise tons but will get a bit bigger) it takes minutes to Chuck it all in a bowl.

unicornpoop Sat 05-Apr-14 15:34:06

The cauliflower one is pretty good. Not the same texture as an ordinary pizza base but really tasty. If you try it though, it can be a little tricky, you have to use grease proof paper and make sure you get as much water out of the cooked cauliflower as possible or it will just stick to the tray and fall apart. Many many failed attempts grin

drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:34:55

That looks interesting Clemence, I'll give that a go.

The juvela mix has codex wheat starch which I'm trying to avoid because DS is still inexplicably not negative on his blood test, so cutting that out and seeing if it makes a difference

drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:35:36

xvdsaderfyyyyyyytuyiuolio'[p';oesaa`~

drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:35:50

whoops sorry that was 2yo DD...

CorusKate Sat 05-Apr-14 15:36:31

drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:39:20

apparently it is a story about a dog pushing a cat in a pushchair. It was meant to go in an email to grandma...

CorusKate Sat 05-Apr-14 15:41:07

ClemencePoesy Sat 05-Apr-14 15:42:07

I wrote that by heart as we make it so often- highly addictive.
We used to use Isobels and orgran box mixes and they are rubbish compared to this, it's by far the closest to 'real' pizza. Roll it very thin, though it rises and bubbles a little it's a much better texture.

drivenfromdistraction Sat 05-Apr-14 15:46:37

unicorn - i have tried the cauliflower pizza base and it was FANTASTIC and DELICIOUS <shouts from excitement> Bloody DC don't like it though, but will try it on them again sometime.

ellenbrody Sat 05-Apr-14 16:16:48

I get the Glutafin ones on prescription. They are nice and crispy, I hate doughy ones too. Maybe worth a try?

Elefant1 Sat 05-Apr-14 16:19:38

Can anyone please tell me where I can find the cauliflower recipe? I am having pizza tonight but have cheated and bought a GF base!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now