Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not look both ways on a one way street

(53 Posts)
itsmeitscathy Sat 05-Apr-14 14:14:37

Twice this week, TWICE, I've nearly been run over by rogue cyclists going the wrong way down one way streets. AIBU to think this is their fault, not mine if they hit me? Thankfully I did look, but surely they're the unreasonable ones?I'm not talking about country roads- I mean 3 lane city centre style...

WorraLiberty Sat 05-Apr-14 14:16:26

I'm confused grin

You're thread title and the fact you said 'thankfully I did look', don't really match up.

I would advise anyone to look in both directions when crossing anything.

squeakytoy Sat 05-Apr-14 14:18:48

Not sure if cyclists are exempt from one way street rules but surely common sense should tell you to use the split second it takes to check both ways.. Just in case.

itsmeitscathy Sat 05-Apr-14 14:22:24

Good point, I do look both ways but I feel like I look like an idiot as nothing should be coming the wrong way.
The first time I looked as I crossed (oops) and nearly became mush on the road and the cyclist had the cheek to give me a good old glare confused

I genuinely want to know though - are cyclists allowed to do this?surely not?!

cakeymccakington Sat 05-Apr-14 14:22:29

yes, it would be their fault.

but i can't not look both ways. it's so ingrained!

owlbegoing Sat 05-Apr-14 14:22:45

I can't see how cycles are exempt from one way street rules hmm
I think you just had the misfortune to run into nearly literally entitled idiots angry

Nocomet Sat 05-Apr-14 14:22:56

Always look both ways not only do we have cyclists, but we also have one way streets that allow buses to go the other way. Controlled by lights so ok driving, but easy to forget on foot when crossing it.

itsmeitscathy Sat 05-Apr-14 14:24:41

There seems to be an epidemic of them just now - the other day a guy on a bike rode by on the wrong side of a two way road...dangerous much?!

Given that I've often seen cars driving the wrong way down a one way street, I always look both ways.

Also round here there's several streets which are one way to cars but two way to bikes (clearly signposted)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 05-Apr-14 14:27:28

Of course YABU! Does it really take so much longer to check both ways?

And yes, one way streets are often just for cars, and also are often ignored/driven down the wrong way accidentally.

Pleasejustgo Sat 05-Apr-14 14:27:58

Cyclists are above all laws. Very U to think otherwise wink

itsmeitscathy Sat 05-Apr-14 14:29:43

I was trying to be lighthearted...I do look but my point is it's one way - no one should be going the wrong way :D

Lweji Sat 05-Apr-14 14:30:53

YANBU about cyclists. They piss me off when riding against traffic if I'm driving too.

But on one way roads you could get cars reversing too. Or the odd car that didn't realise it was a one way street shock. So, always look both ways.

CorusKate Sat 05-Apr-14 14:30:54

<muttermumble> DP shouted at a cyclist for going through a red light near our house as we were walking home (though I wish he wouldn't; I hate confrontation). Cyclist goes,
"Yeah, yeah, yeah, nothing coming, though, was there, mate?" as he whizzes past. Well, yes, nothing was coming, if you don't count the pedestrians (me and DP) who could have quite reasonably considered that the red light for traffic meant it would be safe to cross, and only didn't because we are used to cyclists not bothering to stop for red lights.

Offred Sat 05-Apr-14 14:30:58

No cyclists are not allowed but there is confusion because of a media story a few years ago so many probably think they are allowed. Legally the cyclist would be at fault but from a common sense perspective I always look both ways. I live on a one way street and you would not believe the number of car drivers who drive the wrong way up it. Often in reverse and often as quickly as possible because obviously that makes it better! hmm

Nomama Sat 05-Apr-14 14:31:24

In town there is a one way street with a contrary cycle path, it stops half way up and diverts down a side street. I am really aware of it as I used to cycle and used it a lot.

Last year I got hit by a cyclist 50yards passed the end of the cycle lane. I was bruised he needed an ambulance - he remained conscious but broke his arm.

As he was giving his statement to the police he shouted at me that I should have looked both ways there was a cycle lane. The policeman pointed down the road and said 'that one sir?', he even took a picture to go along with the statement.

Handy as when the cyclist took me to small claims court the policeman's paperwork made the judge very angry, and I got a nice payout - one I would not have asked for had he not sued me!

BackforGood Sat 05-Apr-14 14:32:37

It may be their fault, but that doesn't make your pain from your injuries any less - I mean why wouldn't you look - it's just instinctive as you approach a road, and takes a part of one second, so, yes, I'd say anyone who didn't look both ways was BU.

TheHamster Sat 05-Apr-14 14:34:26

I would always look but it'd be their fault.

CorusKate Sat 05-Apr-14 14:40:06

Can't believe the guy tried to sue you when he had a police officer witness the accident and actually point out on the scene that it was his fault. How dense can you get?

Of course it'd be their fault.

I'd look, though. Cars can reverse on a one-way street (not saying they should, but they do), and someone reversing into a parking space (which you can do on a one way street) could still be going fast enough to hurt you quite badly if you suddenly stepped out into its path.

Goblinchild Sat 05-Apr-14 15:31:35

Yes, it would be their fault if they ran into you. But as I always told my two, I'd rather you weren't in the right and dead.
Rather like crossing on green and watching foir wankers who drive through.

Nomama Sat 05-Apr-14 15:32:30

I know, CorusKate. That's what made the judge so very angry. She had a good shout at him.

Apparently there was CCTV that showed he was whizzing along and had waved his arms about a bit, just before he hit me. He travelled quite a way before he stopped too.

BackforGood, the mile or so of road I was walking on is pedestrianised except for buses. The bike lane is only on the very end of it, to get cyclists across a nasty junction. I cycled it every day for about 3 years. I didn't think I was being unreasonable not to look behind me as I was walking/ambling around the shops (buses being so very obvious and all).

Offred Sat 05-Apr-14 15:35:06

Cars can reverse into a parking space from 1 car length away but they can't drive in reverse. That's illegal.

Offred Sat 05-Apr-14 15:37:10

Cyclist have a duty to take care of more vulnerable road users as car drivers do. Right of way does not mean right to run someone over/off the road for anyone car driver or cyclist.

However, that doesn't really mean it is a good plan to wander aimlessly without looking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now