music everywhere

(11 Posts)
NearTheWindymill Sat 05-Apr-14 12:32:32

So, this morning I've been to sainsburys - canned music, to Nat west band - music blaring out of a radio, now in starbucks for a quiet coffee - reggae blaring out. AIBU to want to go about my business and spend my money without other people's musical tastes being imposed?

formerbabe Sat 05-Apr-14 12:38:01

Yes, I hate music in shops...makes me want to walk out...

I had the unpleasant experience of visiting asda recently...the music played was dreadful sentimental, schmaltzy crap! I can only imagine so you feel dewy eyed walking round thinking of your loved ones and then decide to treat them to some extra food/homewares

hackmum Sat 05-Apr-14 12:39:45

YANBU! This infuriates me too. Sometimes I just want a bit of peace and quiet. And if I want to listen to music, I'd like it to be music of my choosing, not somebody else's.

Imnotmadeofeyes Sat 05-Apr-14 12:45:27

I don't mind purely instrumental stuff, I don't find it particularly intrusive.

Yanbu though, taste in music is a personal thing. Our hospital plays top 40 stuff but at such a low volume I was shooting dirty looks round the waiting room trying to find the culprit playing tinny shit music on their phone till I realised blush

pigsDOfly Sat 05-Apr-14 12:47:00

YANBU. Drives me mad particularly at Christmas when you're fighting your way around a more than usually crowded supermarket and you can't think because there are horrible 'Christmas' songs blaring out.

Makes me want to take to my heels and hide under the duvet till new year.

Why the hell would you have music in a bank. I go there to deal with my finances, not to dance.

OutInAllWeathers Sat 05-Apr-14 21:08:37

Each to their own I suppose. I love music and will happily wander round asda or wherever singing along (and getting odd looks!) As long as it's not too loud I am happy to hear music in most places.

chrome100 Sun 06-Apr-14 00:46:05

They play celine fucking dion in my local pool. Piped through into the pool, changing rooms and shower. Makes me want to stab myself.

DomesticSlobbess Sun 06-Apr-14 00:48:16

I don't mind music in shops but what I hate is the bad cover versions some shops Matalan play instead of the originals. Maybe it's a cheaper license or something.

streakybacon Sun 06-Apr-14 08:38:45

Music is bad enough, but why all the tv screens everywhere? Shops, businesses, waiting rooms - few of them are actually showing relevant information and are just showing crap tv instead. Why?

tznett Sun 06-Apr-14 20:24:50

YANBU. It's always dull, vaguely macho, middle-of-the road rock in supermarkets, and repetitive dance stuff in clothes shops. And the cheapskate cover versions of music are always so bland and cheesy compared to the originals! I'd rather no music at all in shops etc.

I hate it at Xmas, Tesco play Lady Gaga's "Xmas Tree" song practically on repeat, in fact our local Xmas market does too. Really inappropriate lyrics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now