Wibu to expect a refund/new pair in these circumstances?

(51 Posts)
pyjamaramadrama Sat 05-Apr-14 12:06:26

Clarkes school shoes bought early December.

They now have a big hole in the sole letting water through.

I don't have the receipt.

I'm going back into the store, what do you think I should expect?

BikeRunSki Mon 07-Apr-14 09:36:27

I have very little faith in Clark's and stopped gettingDS's shoes there a few years ago.

DD (2) recently needed shoes and I ended up in Clark's because we were in twin anyway and had 101 other things on. For all their faults they are conveniently all over the place! Anyway, this will be my last pair of children's shoes from Clark's:

They measured dd's feet for length and width and came up with 8 E. Fine.
The sales lady asked my what kind of shoe I wanted. I said straps were important so that dd can do them herself. So she showed me styles with buckles and zips!
Dd (and I !) not at all impressed with the choice of shoes, especially all the pink patent sparkly butterfly stuff. DD chose a pair of leather sneakers - sort of converse style, really nice actually.
Sales woman confused that girl wanted "boys" shoes. Then said that they only came in a G fit, but she could make them fit anyway. All she did was pull the straps tight ! When I questioned this she told me that width fittings were different for different styles. Eh?

We ended up with the shoes as dd really needed shoes and loved them. I've since out an insole in and they fit better.

So unimpressed with Clark's service. The sakes lady suggested I contacted Clark's about a wider choice of styles if I thought there was a market for sturdy non-sparkly "girl's" shoes. (I'd said it was a shame the shoes that dd had chosen didn't come in brighter colours (trey come in navy or beige)). I did email Clark's customer services and I did their "how was your shopping experience" questionnaire too. Mentioned the width fitting issue. Clark's reply to both issues was very defensive, very "you are wrong we are right" attitude.

I'll be buying my DC's shoes elsewhere in future. I don't think Clark's offer anything special. DS's best shoes were Hush Puppies, but I don't think they do children's shoes anymore.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Mon 07-Apr-14 07:24:11

Clarks recommend getting feet measured every 12 weeks, which is perhaps why they don't expect them to last that long (clutches at straws).

However, what you need to do is find a good shoemaker/mender. They will be able to repair most things, and if they can't then I'd think you'd have grounds to ask for a refund providing the damage wasn't wear and tear and was in a reasonable period from sale.

I had a pair of Clarks shoes which I wore every day for 4 years. They were resoled three times, at which point my shoemaker told me he'd not be able to repair them again. When I went to replace them, Clarks store staff told me they couldn't be resoled! They simply don't expect you to want to pay around a tenner and would encourage you to spend four times as much on a new pair.

I love my shoemaker very much - thing traditional elves and shoemaker style guy, right down to the Dutch name and twinkly eyes. I shall be very sad when he is no longer able to repair shoes.

pyjamaramadrama Mon 07-Apr-14 06:45:28

Thepurplepenguin, I did specifically ask how long would they expect their shoes to last to which she replied 12 weeks, this was the store manager.

She also said a child will have grown out of them by then.

Although their fitters measured ds exactly the same size as before Christmas, in fact they initially measured him half a size smaller which was just bizarre.

I am glad we got the discount off the new shoes although I'd have been far happier if the shoes had lasted until July.

ICanSeeTheSun Sun 06-Apr-14 20:14:44

My work shoes are from deichemans, cost £17.99 I put them on at 6am and don't normally come off till 5pm.

I am a nhs cleaner so with bleach and other chemical I use that end on my shoes you would expect them not to last.

However I have had these shoes for 18 months, so I would expect shoe school from Clarks to last longer than 4 months.

AllFurCoat Sun 06-Apr-14 20:07:49

12 weeks? Bloody hell! I get from startrite, DD2's incredibly hard wearing on shoes and only needs them when her feet grow. DD1 had the same pair sept-July last year and has had her current pair since sept. I'm getting her new one over Easter as her feet should have grown (this pair are the same size as the last ones!) and they're looking a little worn now she's full time, but they probably could last til July again!

wonderingsoul Sun 06-Apr-14 20:06:33

i think clarks have a 3 month rule... so ynbu to expect them to last 4 months.

did you buy on card so you can prove when you brought them?

DD's shoes will last more than 4 months.

It's a miracle if my twin son's last that long.

thepurplepenguin Sun 06-Apr-14 18:55:20

Quarantee? Wtf? Guarantee

thepurplepenguin Sun 06-Apr-14 18:53:49

They do not 'give their shoes 12 weeks life'

Their no quibble quarantee is 12 weeks

I don't actually think half price new shoes is that bad

Where else would you get that deal?

ENormaSnob Sun 06-Apr-14 18:31:25

12 weeks?

Fuck that...

I'll be shopping elsewhere from now.

I wear clarks for work and get a damn site longer than that shock

NothingMoreScaryThanAHairyMary Sun 06-Apr-14 17:28:25

I have stopped buying Clark's fir exactly this reason.

If you look at the soles on the girls school shoes the rubber is so thin and poor quality it is worn down in weeks

nancy75 Sun 06-Apr-14 17:26:25

As an aside I used to work for clarks and DD has never had a pair of shoes from there - make of that what you will!!

nancy75 Sun 06-Apr-14 17:25:16

I have always bought startrite for DD school shoes, I have only ever had to replace them when she has grown out of them (last school year her feet obviously didn't grow - she had them from Sept through to July)

I don't know what their boys stuff is like but worth a look on the website

pyjamaramadrama Sun 06-Apr-14 17:20:40

Their shoes really are ugly. I only use them for ease, as saves me trying to get the right fit.

Although I'm not convinced of their fitting anyway. Yesterday they had 3 different people measure him 3 different sizes.

Obviously differing opinions on how long a shoe should last, but the more I think about it and how we don't even walk to school the more I think that they must be terrible quality shoes, teamed with the 12 week life, I mean who's 5/6 year olds grow out of their shoes in 12 weeks?

Ds £18 next suede look trainer shoes lasted longer.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 06-Apr-14 11:43:07

shock

This is why I avoid Clarks. Also their kids shoes are so ugly and gendered (that's another thread)

Scootering, playing football and walking long distances are reasonable wear and tear and shoes should be fit for those purposes. I had the same with a pair of adult sandals I bought there last year - after a month they were rotten.

Stick to Geox - yes they cost more but they last more than twice as long. DS's current pair are 7 months old and look nearly new.

Lagos Sun 06-Apr-14 11:34:36

Start something on twitter about 12 weeks?! They may not like it being broadcast.

5madthings Sun 06-Apr-14 11:24:30

As an adult you only get four months wear out of shoes? What the hell are you doing to them?!!

I have shoes that are years old and fine and I walk 8-12 miles a day just on the school run. Today I an wearing boots I bought last Sept and wore everyday over winter and they are fine!

I agree independent shoe shop is the way to go.

Even my converse and cheaper canvas shoes like rocket dog last over a year.

The 12 week policy I would imagine is for wear and tear to the soles. It wouldn't be the same for faulty zips or stitching. That would be a fault so not classed under the 12 week policy, that's why they didn't mention it to you. Totally different situations for the staff.

pyjamaramadrama Sat 05-Apr-14 19:53:50

I've worn the same boots to work for the past 3 Winters and they still look good as new.

RhondaJean Sat 05-Apr-14 18:49:57

Best place I have found for shoes is our local independent shoe shop, they are more expensive than clarks but definitely better quality so end up costing less. I remember one year dd2 got clarks boots and they effectively fell apart within a couple of weeks. I'm not a fan at all. She most certainly doesn't levitate but this was seams falling apart on the legs rather than wear to the sole/foot area.

RagamuffinAndFidget Sat 05-Apr-14 18:37:18

Oh, and no I don't think YABU - four months is a ridiculously short time for shoes to last!

RagamuffinAndFidget Sat 05-Apr-14 18:32:16

I took two pairs of shoes back to my local Clarks today - one was DS1's and the other was DS2's - as they had both started to come apart at the zips. They took them back, no questions asked, let me exchange for two new pairs (different styles as the old ones were winter boots) and then gave me a refund for the difference. The shoes were bought in November last year. No mention of any ridiculous '12 week policy' there!

HowContraryMary Sat 05-Apr-14 17:54:42

I would expect Clarkes, given the exorbitant price , to last much longer. I doubt you will get any joy though, last time I complained they said they only had a 28 day guarantee for returns. That was some time ago though.

I would complain to HO. Do they have a FB page or Twitter?

wingsandstrings Sat 05-Apr-14 17:51:02

I went into Clarkes with a 10 week old pair of shoes - the seams at the side had come apart to form an actual hole, on both shoes. The shop assistant asked DS age 6 "do you scoot to school?" and he said "yes", and the assistant then said "and do you play football in the playground?" and he answered "sometimes". She turned to me and said "in that case we definitely wouldn't consider a refund". Maybe they have a point, scooting and footie do wear shoes out, but they had cost £40 and were the second pair so far this year . . . . .ggggrrrr.

pyjamaramadrama Sat 05-Apr-14 15:38:28

I agree 12 weeks is a joke.

No way does ds grow out of shoes that soon, babies grow that quickly not 5 and 6 year olds.

Can anyone recommend somewhere better to go?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now