aibu to HATE the bloody Grand National....

(109 Posts)
ThatVikRinA22 Sat 05-Apr-14 02:13:59

i cant watch.
i refuse to watch.
cruel horrendous barbaric stupid race. and for what?

hate the fucking thing. wish it was banned.

Well I agree. What's the point in a beautiful talented horse if you risk it's life? Sure there's lots of people on here that will disagree with us though.

ThatVikRinA22 Sat 05-Apr-14 02:24:08

im not a fan of horse racing in any case - too many unwanted and failed horses looking for homes or going to slaughter. really pisses me off. hugely.
but this race is the pits. i hate it. i refuse to watch it - every year horses die trying to complete it.
its a shite course. i hate the way everyone treats it as a bit of fun doing bloody betting syndicates etc.
horses die in this race, its a given. every bloody year.
all i want is my own horse and in the racing industry they are just throw away appendages. used and got rid of.
angry

ravenAK Sat 05-Apr-14 02:28:06

I agree vicar, but it'll turn into a bunfight. Does every year sad.

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 02:48:34

Anyone can hold whatever opinion they like about the GN but please, get your facts right or you just make yourself appear ignorant and weaken your argument.

The Grand National has been running since 1839. That's 175 years. In that time, 79 horses have died in the race. Every one of those deaths is regrettable but that is not, by any stretch, "a given, every bloody year". It's not even one horse every other year. Every horse came back safe and sound as recently as last year, for example.

You might want to read the other thread which is already running on the subject to learn about some of the modifications that have been made to the course and the race to minimise the risks.

Caitlin17 Sat 05-Apr-14 02:51:47

I hate it. YANBU

Melonade Sat 05-Apr-14 07:54:56

The annual fake concern about animal welfare, all done via the tv and computer keyboard...

Joysmum Sat 05-Apr-14 08:23:59

the Grand National, a popular steeplechase held annually in England, yielded 7 fatalities out of 439 horses taking part between 2000 and 2010.

That's a dreadful proportion and those statistics speak for themselves.

A race where, despite new safety measures, 1 in every 62 dies is far too great a risk.

Cat98 Sat 05-Apr-14 08:25:46

I agree. I hate it.

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 17:18:09

OP and others, you'll be pleased to hear that all 40 runners have come home safe and sound after the race.

I don't watch it either, bloody awful race and the way the 'experts' dismiss any fatal incidents and shrug their shoulders is appalling.

Luckily today there were no fatalities [so I hear].

I do like a good fast flat race like the Derby, I should add.

OurMiracle1106 Sat 05-Apr-14 17:26:52

what isnt in those statistics is the horses that have so badly injuried themselves during the race they either can never race again or have to be put to sleep because the damage is beyond repair.

Mrsmorton Sat 05-Apr-14 17:31:39

Plenty of horses suffer catastrophic injuries flat racing youstayclassy don't let your lack of knowledge affect your ability to be a hypocrite though hmm

All GN threads are started and supported by the least informed frothers IMO.

SelectAUserName Sat 05-Apr-14 17:35:51

OurMiracle that happens in every single sphere of equestrianism, professional and amateur. I have plenty of friends whose horses have had to be retired or PTS because they have damaged tendons or suffered other injuries while being ridden at slow paces, while doing their own thing in the field, while jumping a low fence at a controlled canter. You can't single racing out on that score - the only way to avoid it would be to ban horses, full stop.

fayrae Sat 05-Apr-14 17:38:36

Should we ban horse riding, or just horse racing?

grovel Sat 05-Apr-14 17:44:33

SelectAUserName, that's right.

RhondaJean Sat 05-Apr-14 17:46:29

All horses and riders back safely this year.

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 05-Apr-14 17:47:29

YABU,

Oooh Mrsmorton, keep your hair on love. smile

I didn't profess to have knowledge, just that I hate the Grand National.

As you were.

ilovesooty Sat 05-Apr-14 17:57:31

Here we go again.

No horses died during the three day meeting.

The course has been significantly modified.

It's once a year.

You're quite free to ignore it.

What do you do to promote equine welfare during the year?

Thattimeofyearagain Sat 05-Apr-14 18:02:02

Ill informed pearl clutching, get a grip op & if you don't like it don't fucking watch it.

morethanpotatoprints Sat 05-Apr-14 18:03:36

I didn't even know it was on.
I'm not a fan myself so don't let it bother me, more important things to do.

gordyslovesheep Sat 05-Apr-14 18:03:54

I'm more pissed off with the endless threads about how much people hate it hmm

surely one will do

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:04:19

I caught the end bit, where the riders are whipping those poor horsesangry.

It's fucking brutal.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 18:06:17

get a grip op & if you don't like it don't fucking watch it

What a stupid thing to say.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now