To find it deeply annoying that a tribute to a female politician calls her coquettish?

(19 Posts)
bamboostalks Fri 04-Apr-14 22:26:03

Watching BBC news and news item on Margo MacDonald, who died today, describes her as coquettish. This is the opening comment on the whole of her life. I mean seriously? No one would have described Tony Benn in such a demeaning manner. Ok as an adjective buried in a researched biography but such casual sexism just gets my goat.

WorraLiberty Fri 04-Apr-14 22:49:44

Tony Benn wasn't particularly flirty though was he?

DioneTheDiabolist Fri 04-Apr-14 22:51:02

Was she coquettish?

EBearhug Fri 04-Apr-14 22:55:06

I agree. I can't imagine a male politician being described as a bit of a flirt, or a ladies' man or whatever the male equivalent of coquettish might be, even if he was.

Treasa24 Sat 05-Apr-14 00:05:14

Lazy journalism - at best. Vague, meaningless description of anyone and actually very disrespectful in an obituary piece.

YANBU - not at all.

Maybe she wanted that.

Salmotrutta Sat 05-Apr-14 00:12:30

I remember Margo MacDonald in her Heyday.

She was a straight talking woman.

Nothing coquettish IMHO.

Salmotrutta Sat 05-Apr-14 00:14:06

In fact, I think she might have eaten for breakfast anyone who described her as coquettish.

Euphemia Sat 05-Apr-14 00:26:12

Coquettish?! What rot - sexist rot, at that.

Caitlin17 Sat 05-Apr-14 00:55:11

I disagree she would have been annoyed. She was flirty, she was very pretty and she did project a bit of a blonde bombshell image.

She was a remarkable woman. I don't agree with most of her politics but I'd have voted for her if she'd been my constituency candidate.

lessonsintightropes Sat 05-Apr-14 01:24:51

How do you think Alan Clark was described?! If it's who she was I think it would be too euphemistic not to mention it tbh.

tilliebob Sat 05-Apr-14 01:35:39

I doubt she'd mind, and if she did, she'd have her own way to put the comment down. Very upset today about her death - not that I agreed with all her politics, but I thought she really cared about her constituents and dealt with her Parkinsons with great courage.

Caitlin17 Sat 05-Apr-14 01:36:29

She had a twinkle in her eye, even at the end.

montysma1 Sat 05-Apr-14 02:36:38

I actually thought that the reporting I heardwas respectful and affectionate.

bamboostalks Sat 05-Apr-14 07:35:17

A coquette is Scarlett O'Hara. Why on earth would that be the opening adjective to describe a politician's life when there's no evidence that she was one. As for the comparison to Alan Clark, well his life was entirely different with plenty of evidence to support whatever label you wish to attribute. But of course, his legacy is primarily one of witty diarist etc not someone who had an inappropriate predication for very young girls.

ExcuseTypos Sat 05-Apr-14 07:45:19

I heard someone describe her on Radio 4 as coquettish as she would be discussing political things one minute then the next looking at the jewellery on the shopping channel. That isn't coquettish is it?confused

NiceTabard Sat 05-Apr-14 07:55:42

I have found the coverage around this bizarre as well, and certainly surprised by the BBC take.

Financeprincess Sat 05-Apr-14 13:06:15

'Coquettish' implies silly and empty-headed. It's a pretty poor compliment to a trail-blazing female politician, in my view.

tznett Sun 06-Apr-14 20:34:18

YANBU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now