To ask my neighbour to take her smoking outside...

(31 Posts)
nyldn Fri 04-Apr-14 19:31:54

We have a new neighbour in the flat below us and it's clear that she's smoking inside. We can smell it in ours. Our lease says no smoking, so I assume hers would as well. I generally wouldn't care too much other than disliking it, but I'm pregnant and it's a concern for me that the baby will be breathing it in constantly. WIBU to ask her to please take it outside? I don't want to go straight to the landlord and cause unnecessary tensions...

BirdieWhirlie Fri 04-Apr-14 21:14:48

If she won't take it outside after a polite request, you could always start doing street dance sessions in your flat - best done about 5am for maximum health benefits. Or indoor jogging? Something that requires hammering on the floor? After all, she would be precious and unreasonable to dictate to you what you do in your own home.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 04-Apr-14 21:18:00

I wonder how enforceable that clause is

nyldn Fri 04-Apr-14 21:33:59

Thanks for the opinions. I do feel that people should be able to do what they want in their own home, however, it's a rented home and if the owner of the building has put a no smoking clause in my lease, I'm sure it's in hers as well. If my flat didn't smell because of it, I wouldn't take issue. Someone would certainly complain about a constantly barking dog if there was a no pet clause, right? Isn't this basically the same thing, only actually a bigger problem in my opinion as it's a health concern...

OooOooTheMonkey Fri 04-Apr-14 22:32:07

YANBU. Our downstairs neighbour smokes WEED and it sometimes comes up. We've put extra insulation down all the gaps but since having dd my dp went and had a word. She was a bit stoned mortified (esp as our other neighbours are police officers --face palm--) and we've had a vague whiff since but it's been mainly disgusting incense sticks since hmm

Joysmum Fri 04-Apr-14 22:53:13

I'm a LL and my tenancy agreements have no pets and no smoking clauses. Trouble is, these are basically unenforceable as the tenant has the right to quiet enjoyment of their home and if it goes before a judge for a repossession order, there's no guarantee it'll be successful so it's not worth it, how could I gather proof or habitual smoking in the property? All I can do as a LL is to not extend the tenancy when it expires and apply to retain some of the deposit for the smoke damage and deep cleaning.

Mimishimi Fri 04-Apr-14 23:03:18

It depends. Does she rent the property or own it? If it's the latter there is probably not too much you can do about it. If the former, you could check with the landlord to see what her lease clauses are. Also, if she does go outside to smoke, there's a good chance you will get more smoke drifting into your flat through the windows.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now