To ask this dad to stop smoking...

(48 Posts)
Elfina Fri 04-Apr-14 18:34:15

He was pushing his child in the baby swings, within a little play park with a cigarette in his mouth. I didnt ask him to stop smoking, as I guess I'm technically not within my rights to, but I am regretting it a bit.

Should I have said something??

LtEveDallas Fri 04-Apr-14 18:35:45

No. It's up to him what he does with his own child in the open air, sorry.

Fairy1303 Fri 04-Apr-14 18:37:48

Of course you shouldn't have said anything!
I appreciate it is not ideal but it was outside fgs.

Sorry but it is absolutely NONE of your business. YABU.

Threetofour Fri 04-Apr-14 18:38:30

It would only have started a fight so I wouldn't have said anything & he has every right to smoke a fag outside

gamerchick Fri 04-Apr-14 18:42:29

Whilst I personally don't smoke in parks and whatnot I wouldn't dream of telling somebody else to stop smoking when they are out in the open air.

Christ people want to poke their noses into all sorts these days.. neb out.

ApocalypseThen Fri 04-Apr-14 18:42:30

Of course he's within his rights, but it's a poor look out when you can't even take the fag out for long enough to push your child on a swing.

AndIFeedEmGunpowder Fri 04-Apr-14 18:45:28

There was someone smoking a joint in our local playground this week. I did lots of theatrical sniffing of the air and looking like this shock

Bardette Fri 04-Apr-14 18:46:47

YANBU, I disagree that he is within his rights to smoke in a children's play area. Even if it is outside the smoke will be too near the children. He should at least step outside the playground.

Elfina Fri 04-Apr-14 18:48:18

Wooah - I didn't say anything - calm down wink

Don't some children's playgrounds have No Smoking signs on them? It's a long time since I went to one, but I have this vague memory. It is very possible that I am wrong, though!

Elfina Fri 04-Apr-14 18:50:36

Oh, I should probably say that my baby was in the next swing - I wasn't randomly walking passed or wanting to comment on his parenting - I didn't smoke near my baby and I think it's a poor show that we should have to leave in this situation.

VivaLeBeaver Fri 04-Apr-14 18:50:49

Did he drop his fag end on the floor by the swings?

Loads of fag butts in a play park would be a bit minging.

Elfina Fri 04-Apr-14 18:50:50

*past

SuburbanRhonda Fri 04-Apr-14 19:12:00

I'd be more worried about the high levels of air pollution we've had this week than one random fag in the open air, tbh.

Pleasejustgo Fri 04-Apr-14 19:20:46

That, is disgusting. I'm pretty sure if someone did that in our local playground there would be absolute uproar. There is enough pollution without someone puffing noxious fumes in my (and DC) close proximity.

Where did he throw is fag butt I wonder?

Reeeeevolting!

Nicotine replacement therapy for the five minutes he couldn't bear to be without it I'd say.

I wouldn't have said anything either though, I'd have just pursed my lips in an angry cat bum face and buggered off elsewhere however my eldest DD would have probably started coughing and clutching her throat. She's convinced a puff of a cigarette is instant death.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 04-Apr-14 19:22:26

Really, please?

"Absolute uproar"? shock

"Of course he's within his rights, but it's a poor look out when you can't even take the fag out for long enough to push your child on a swing."

I don't like smoking.

However, from a smokers POV, it's probably the best time.

If your young child is contained on a swing, you have a hand free to smoke and don't risk having to grab/pick up/help your child with a lit fag in your hand.

CoffeeTea103 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:34:34

I don't like it either but you would be out of order to say anything.
That's none of your business.

Pleasejustgo Fri 04-Apr-14 19:38:46

Absolute uproar. Screaming mobs and absolute hysteria.

To be fair nobody ever smokes in the children's areas at our playground at all.

I wouldn't make a fuss though as it's outdoors and all that but I do think it's bad form to smoke in a playground. wink

Hikes up judgeypants and awaits and absolute flaming

tripecity Fri 04-Apr-14 19:39:34

I'd be pissed off, I really would. What is wrong with some people?

InAGrump Fri 04-Apr-14 19:40:39

Tis bad form to smoke in the play ground but ywbvvvu to comment!!

hiddenhome Fri 04-Apr-14 19:40:42

lol, it's outdoors. As long as he wasn't handing them out to toddlers then what's there to worry about? Perhaps he was stressed and needed one.

hiddenhome Fri 04-Apr-14 19:42:32

People these days are quite funny actually. When I was a teenager in the 80s, I used to go to the doctors and he'd be sat there behind his desk puffing away like a chimney grin

Air pollution is far more damaging than the odd ciggie in a playground.

Pleasejustgo Fri 04-Apr-14 19:44:18

How are you docs lungs these days hidden wink

hiddenhome Fri 04-Apr-14 19:46:23

Oh, he was old back then, so dead as a doornail now, no doubt grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now