That I'd never heard slings could be dangerous?

(55 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Fri 04-Apr-14 10:09:45

There's a story in the DM today about a baby suffocating in a sling. (Sorry if there's already a thread on this. I had a quick look and couldn't see one.)

It's so tragic and I suppose, entirely preventable?

I've used a sling occasionally for both my DD's, and honestly had never heard that they were risky? Does everyone else know this?

badtime Fri 04-Apr-14 10:14:21

Literally anything can be dangerous. The reason you have never heard about it before is because it is so rare.

Quite often, there are costs and benefits in using the same equipment. There might be more lives saved by using a sling (so a problem might be noticed sooner, for example), but we wouldn't know because nothing happens.

YABU to spread the DM's scaremongering.

Preciousbane Fri 04-Apr-14 10:16:29

The reason I didn't fancy using a sling when DS were tiny is I am a clumsy cow and was worried I would trip up and squash them. We did use a proper hard framed rucksack that went on your back when older.

curiousgeorgie Fri 04-Apr-14 10:16:42

How is it scaremongering exactly?

It's a fact that a baby suffocated in a sling. That's all I said. It's terribly sad.

HazleNutt Fri 04-Apr-14 10:23:46

At least my sling came with a whole list of warnings how to position the baby, how to check they can breathe properly etc, so I don't think it's such a surprise that it can be dangerous if baby is not worn correctly. Just like a pram can be dangerous if you put a baby face down and under a blanket.

MoominsYonisAreScary Fri 04-Apr-14 10:24:15

Its not scaremongering, I child has died and its important that people are aware of correct sling use imo. They same as making people aware of cord blinds, angle care monitors and those bed canopies there was a thread about yesterday.

badtime Fri 04-Apr-14 10:25:33

I haven't read the article, but I read about the newborn who died in Australia a couple of years ago. The sling was recorded as a 'risk factor' rather than a cause.

It is scaremongering because it is such a rare occurence. It is scaremongering because the Daily Mail don't have stories about the dangers of cushions, or cars.

I would have to read the article to give you specific incidences of the DM's complete failure to understand risk, and I'm not prepared to do that.

If you want to say 'if you use a sling, please be aware that babies have been known to suffocate while in a sling', that is not scaremongering.

As I said above, everything is risky. You would be avoiding more risk by never crossing the road or never driving than by avoiding slings.

Retropear Fri 04-Apr-14 10:25:36

There have been other cases.

I never got in with them as they hurt my long neck,my dc hated them and I always worried re overheating.Both me and my dc get hot easily.

The suffocating risk was another issue.I think if you were busy and stressed with other dc difficulties could go unnoticed.

Rinoachicken Fri 04-Apr-14 10:28:39

They don't say what sort of sling it was either which isn't exactly helpful to anyone!

Longdistance Fri 04-Apr-14 10:32:23

I had to return an Infantino baby sling a couple of years ago, as some babies resulted in SIDS being carried in them.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1260272/Infantino-baby-slings-recalled.html

Sorry, Daily Fail link.

I sent mine back and got a replacement upright sling instead.

shuckleberryfinn Fri 04-Apr-14 10:33:28

The daily mail article doesn't make anyone aware of safe sling use, that's why it's scaremongering. They aren't reporting on the dangers of prolonged car seat use either which carries similar suffocation risks. Nobody says "car seats are dangerous". You're told instead that incorrect and prolonged car seat use in small babies can be dangerous and it's discouraged.

badtime Fri 04-Apr-14 10:34:36

It is possible that I overreacted to your post as I have a bit of a hair-trigger about the DM and their refusal or inability to understand levels of risk. The use of the words 'dangerous' and 'risky' pushed my buttons.

As I said above, if you just want to draw people's attention to the fact that babies have been known to suffocate in a sling, that is not scaremongering; in that case I apologise.

Of course, the low level of risk does not make it any better for the parents of any child who dies in this way. For the individual, it is tragic.

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Fri 04-Apr-14 10:38:22

Well, if you don't strap your baby into the car seat properly, and they die, is it the fault of the car seat?

There are guidelines on safe sling use 'the TICKS', and dangerous bag type slings have been recalled. The article is shite, mentions nothing about safe sling use.

Rinoachicken Fri 04-Apr-14 10:40:36

Agree shuckleberry what would have been halelpf would have been at least some indication of what sort of sling (pre-tied cloth? Self tied cloth? Rigid? Hammock? Who knows?!) and then perhaps a quote from a baby wearing expert on correct sling use or a link on where people can search for a sling library etc, or even just general tips for such as 'you should always be able to see babies face/be able to kiss the top of their head/make sure breathing is not obstructed, would have been better than nothing

It is tragic, and I'm a caboo wearer myself so of course it is concerning, (especially since they chose a 'file' pic of a caboo for the article!) but I am careful to follow the instructions on its use. Raising awareness of the common mistakes (such as wearing too low) would at least have maybe prompted other mothers to check they are using their sling correctly.

shakinstevenslovechild Fri 04-Apr-14 10:51:00

Long SIDS and suffocation are two completely different things.

The slings were recalled due to a suffocation risk, not Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, which has no known cause or explanation.

oscarwilde Fri 04-Apr-14 11:41:26

Rubbish article for the reasons outlined above.
YABU if you have ever used one as any instructions for sling wearing make it clear what a safe position is for a baby and what weight they should be before using a sling. It is fairly clear I think that those instructions state the risk of suffocation otherwise.

Personally, I was very conscious of it as DH and I are totally different heights and builds so the sling we used (the now totally MN discredited Baby Bjorn) had to be altered and tweaked massively everytime you changed the user. Our nanny made me very nervous due to her enormous boobs too. Give me a pram anyday but a sling does come in handy for settling a newish born especially one full of wind.

I feel desperately sorry for the parents in question. What a horrendous thing to happen to them and their child.

126sticks Fri 04-Apr-14 11:55:39

Surely even a "rubbish" article is better than no article?

The article is being discussed on here, which is a good thing.

Is it less 'scaremongering' if the story is in the Times too? Because that's where I read it this morning.

cowbiscuits Fri 04-Apr-14 12:45:00

You wouldn't say "cots are dangerous" because some babies have sadly died in them.

It's the way it's reported that makes an article scaremongering. It's important that people know the correct way to use a sling etc to avoid dangers, just as it's important to know the safety way to put a baby to bed.

I don't know if the article even states which type of sling. I know the hammock-pouch-bag type can be really dangerous for small babies, especially if baby is not upright- you can still buy them cheaply on Ebay from china though, which is awful. There are vast differences between types of slings so you can't say they are all as bad.

To be honest though I haven't read this particular article because I refuse to go on Mail online, but the way the Mail usually reports these things is quite scaremongering.

126sticks Fri 04-Apr-14 13:18:59

It says "a sling like this" and implies the picture.

Further on in the article, it says it doesnt know exactly which sling.

Personally, I would say that cots are dangerous, yes.

126sticks Fri 04-Apr-14 13:19:17

So are beds, cars etc.

LIDLrichard Fri 04-Apr-14 13:32:04

This kind of irresponsible shitty journalism pisses me right off.
What a horrendous tragedy for the poor parents.
However, wearing babies in slings has so many benefits and is such a healthy thing to do, and this article is just going to dissuade more people from doing it, which is sad.

They wouldn't have written an article like this if a child had died in a pram or a cot.

cowbiscuits Fri 04-Apr-14 13:41:48

OK I looked at the DM article. Am proper shock at the picture of Nicole Kidman with her baby hanging in a sack round by her waist. WTF? Noooo. Surely there's not a child in there? That's her shopping right? Someone would've said something to her.... Is this the best example DM could come up with of babyewaring.

Also I fucking despise the DM every time I look anything in it. The suggestion is that babyeraing is some "celeb" trend that Mums are copying.

cowbiscuits Fri 04-Apr-14 13:42:29

That should say babywearing, typing one-handed

HazleNutt Fri 04-Apr-14 13:50:12

ah they have changed the article and actually included some advice now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now