Aibu to let ds sleep naked?

(47 Posts)
pyjamaramadrama Fri 04-Apr-14 00:04:53

Not a taat but the other one got me thinking.

Ds 5 has had the same bedtime routine since he was a baby. Bath, brush teeth, story, cuddle and kiss. He gets put to bed properly.

The past year or so he has taken a real dislike to pyjamas. He has loads, cotton, character ones. But he prefers to sleep with nothing on or just boxers.

At a push I can get him to wear just pyjama bottoms.

I prefer to sleep naked myself but it somehow doesn't seem proper for a child. But if he's most comfortable?

SunnySon Sat 05-Apr-14 06:08:39

Sleeping in boxers/ cotton shorts or pj bottoms is fine, I think most kids, especially boys do this. I'd prefer some kind of bum covering to being naked but that's just a personal thing, wouldn't judge or think twice about someone else's kids sleeping au naturale. Not in the same league at all as the other sleeping thread- that was rank. Also kids will know when they go to sleepovers etc that they've to change their sleeping attire if they're nudie sleepers, no problems.

dd (9) is exactly like this, she starts her sleep session in pjs but they disappear throughout the night, whether the weather is hot or not...

Sharaluck Sat 05-Apr-14 00:33:35

Yanbu

Just wash his sheets more regularly. I remember reading something about traces of poo on sheets of naked sleepers. I assume that would probably be more common in children as well.

Needadvice5 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:16:17

No pyjamas on my ds, boxer shorts are the way forward apparently.

Me and dp sleep naked , always have done.

dd wears shorty pyjamas.

No thread worms either!!

Ploppy16 Fri 04-Apr-14 19:11:27

DS and Dd1 are both clothes shedders, DS sleeps nude and Dd in her undies. DS is a strange one thoug, complains that pj's make him too hot but every night without fail he opens his window and burrows down under his quilt like a mole. He has to be totally covered up from head to toe 'because it's nice and warm'... What's that about?? confused

LtEveDallas Fri 04-Apr-14 18:43:30

DD sleeps most nights naked and is currently in her pants on the sofa. Whereas I'm freezing with a fleece on. Oh to have her metabolism.

HolidayCriminal Fri 04-Apr-14 18:40:36

It spreads worms more easily; we've only had a few bouts & they didn't spread between the kids which I think I put down to pants habits.

peggyundercrackers Fri 04-Apr-14 15:27:37

when we used to go camping when we were young we all used to run about naked in the field - we didnt give two hoots who seen us - it was their problem not ours, it doesnt bear thinking about now... our DD is too little for us to be worrying about it just now but its interesting seeing the different responses.

We don't wear pyjamas, and dd has phases where she doesn't either, she's currently "looking forward to summer so I can go to bed without pyjamas". I can remember when I stopped wearing them in late childhood and how happy it made me!

QuinionsRainbow Fri 04-Apr-14 15:03:15

YANBU. Provided their beds are warm and comfortable, it doesn't really matter what kids wear to sleep in, and birthday suits do have their advantages. DH and I always sleep in the buff, and we had no issues with our DCs following our example once they worked this fact out. Once sleepovers and school trips appeared on the agenda, we did insist on pants/t-shirts or similar as surrogate nightwear. Now that they are effectively autonomous, we don't care any more!

Ilikepancakes Fri 04-Apr-14 15:01:12

YANBU

Some people just don't like to wear clothes when they sleep.

evertonmint Fri 04-Apr-14 13:23:56

Yep, my 2 know that we want them to wear pyjamas when in other people's homes and do so without fuss. It's a non-issue.

SizzlesSit Fri 04-Apr-14 13:05:14

DS wears pjs but hasnt had a cover since he was 8 months (he's 2.6).

Its hard to go against instinct (making sure they're warm and snuggly) but its the only way he'll sleep.

Menolly Fri 04-Apr-14 13:00:05

chocoholic then you pack pyjamas and explain to him that he has to wear them so other people don't see his bum. That's all mum did with me and my siblings and none of us has ever got naked at a sleepover, camp or residential.

pointythings Fri 04-Apr-14 12:58:04

choc my DDs have sleepovers and nights away - they wear PJs or an oversized T-shirt and underwear. It's perfectly possible to teach children how to behave appropriately in different settings.

OneMoreChap Fri 04-Apr-14 12:56:04

Went to a boarding school, and eventually decided at about 12, I think that PJs were stupid (I've always been a hot sleeper).

Bit of a shock for parents when I went home, and they realised I slept nekkid. Y-fronts or a dressing gown handy for nipping to the loo...

NOthing wrong with it at all; may have to explain he needs some sort of togs when staying at mates. Boxers are fine.

chocoholic05 Fri 04-Apr-14 12:52:22

Whatabout sleepovers or school residentials when he's abit older?

sam86 Fri 04-Apr-14 11:48:54

My ds is just 17 months but always takes his pjs and sleeping bag off every night for the last six weeks or so.... I re-dress him when I go in to him if he wakes but he's always stripped off again by morning! Anybody else's dc start the stripping off so young?

Preciousbane Fri 04-Apr-14 09:42:52

DS wear pyjamas but is a bit of a being wrapped up hater. Lounges around in shorts and a t.shirt even in the depths of winter when DH and I are sat in two jumpers and its jeffing freezing. He jokes how its because we are soft Southerners and he was born up north.

evertonmint Fri 04-Apr-14 09:38:30

DH and I have always slept naked unless it is bitterly cold.

With DS (6) and DD (3) I just make sure clean pyjamas are available and say "put your pyjamas on if you want to". They usually don't, and if they do (which might be just tops or just bottoms) they often get pulled off in the night.

It's fine. We sleep naked so I'm not going to stop them doing it if they want.

We have had threadworms once. I just told them they needed to wear pants to stop their bottoms itching. It was fine, no arguments.

In emergencies I'd rather we were all out naked and alive than worry about any embarrassment or cold. But we do hang dressing gowns on all bedroom doors so very easy to grab.

Flexiblefriend Fri 04-Apr-14 09:34:26

DD is 6, and sleeps naked most nights, I hadn't thought of worrying about it. She happily keeps pj's on if she is sleeping anywhere but at home though.

meerschweinchen Fri 04-Apr-14 09:30:36

A relief for me too! My ds strips off all the time at home too. I thought I was the only one who had a child who lived in vest and pants! He will actually wear pyjama bottoms as well at night, so thinking about it, he actually wears more at night than he does in the day...

Any tips on how to get clothes refusniks to keep them on?!

hoohah Fri 04-Apr-14 09:25:52

What a relief reading this thread!

12yo ds is another nudist, stripping off as soon as he comes home and quietly shedding clothes throughout the night. What to do when he reaches puberty?

pyjamaramadrama Fri 04-Apr-14 09:16:17

Phew glad it's not weird. He does get very hot at night even with a low tog duvet. The upstairs of our house gets very warm even in winter.

I put a pair of pyjamas on the end of his bed every night but he insists he doesn't want them.

If he's staying out I do make him wear at least pyjama bottoms.

Polarn Fri 04-Apr-14 08:55:08

Haha redfocus. Your poor dh!

My 4yr old sleeps naked, has done for about a yr now. Both dh and I sleep naked too.

As pp says, if house burns down we'll just get out naked. We have lots of lovely neighbours who I'm sure would soon clothe us!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now