Aibu to let ds sleep naked?

(47 Posts)
pyjamaramadrama Fri 04-Apr-14 00:04:53

Not a taat but the other one got me thinking.

Ds 5 has had the same bedtime routine since he was a baby. Bath, brush teeth, story, cuddle and kiss. He gets put to bed properly.

The past year or so he has taken a real dislike to pyjamas. He has loads, cotton, character ones. But he prefers to sleep with nothing on or just boxers.

At a push I can get him to wear just pyjama bottoms.

I prefer to sleep naked myself but it somehow doesn't seem proper for a child. But if he's most comfortable?

LuisSuarezTeeth Fri 04-Apr-14 00:07:21

Can't see a problem with that, as long as he's happy.

Nothing wrong with that if that's what he prefers... it'd be worse to tell him that there was anything 'wrong' with being naked!

Mydelilah Fri 04-Apr-14 00:08:30

Hmmm. I took a strong pyjama stance on the other one, but thinking about it, it's about being comfortable and cosy (and not wearing the same clothes you've had on all day, which is yuk). If au natrel is how he wants to be (my Dnephew, age 10, is the same) then so be it I think. Interesting question though.

AnythingNotEverything Fri 04-Apr-14 00:08:33

I think I would encourage boxers in case of an emergency but pjs aren't compulsory.

If he's comfy and warm enough, let him get on with it.

Weegiemum Fri 04-Apr-14 00:10:20

My ds is a "hot" child (he's 12) and often sleeps in only his boxers, has done for years (it was Postman Pat Pants when it started!!)

He happily puts pjs on in the evening but strips down when he goes to bed. As long as he's sleeping I don't mind obe bit!

(The Iron Man Onsie has challenged this though! Some nights he's wearing that with the window thrown wide!!!)

NoodleOodle Fri 04-Apr-14 00:12:47

Can't see a problem here. Maybe boxers and dressing gown in very easy reach in case of emergencies.

pyjamaramadrama Fri 04-Apr-14 00:13:32

Getting ds to wear clothes in the house in general is a challenge.

When he gets in from school it's uniform straight off, but he wants to sit around in his boxers. I've bought him character onesies, comfy jogging bottoms and T-shirts for lounging in, but he just wants his boxers on.

He will wear his fleecy dressing gown though or prefers a fleecy blanket wrapped around him like a cape.

He dislikes coats and hoody type jackets too, but I do draw the line there if it's cold out.

The boy wants to roam free.

afromom Fri 04-Apr-14 00:32:17

Pyjamaramadrama my DS is exactly the same! He only ever has clothes on in the house when someone come around. He is going camping this weekend and I'm having a real struggle to convince him that he does indeed need to take a onesie with him as it WILL be cold in the night!!!

Theas18 Fri 04-Apr-14 00:39:15

Pants at night ( clean ones) as a minimum - from a practical point of view you will, at some time be visited by threadworms.... And sleep scratching of bums is what spreads them/ keeps a child re infecting themselves....so if pants/jama bottoms at night is what is worn usually then it's a battle you don't have to have with a grumpy itchy bottomed child!

And some sort if night time bum covering is probably a good habit if you're ever going to visit people that aren't immediate family too...

KristinaM Fri 04-Apr-14 00:44:58

Several of my children are like this and it never occurred to me to worry about it. If the house goes on fire in the night we can grab some clothes from the floor where they usually hang them.

And we've never had threadworms here in more than 20 years of parenting. So we will worry about that if it happens.

I'm sure the nakedness will be urged by adolescence

Menolly Fri 04-Apr-14 00:53:08

I've given up on pyjamas with DD(5), they live on the chair at the end of her bed with her dressing gown, in the theory that if we need to we can grab them while getting her out of bed and get her dressed once she's out the burning house, or more likely I can throw them on her when MIL turns up unannounced early on a Saturday morning.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Fri 04-Apr-14 00:57:20

DS starts every night in PJs, but somewhere between going to bed and getting up he strips off entirely. So yanbu, even if you try and put them in PJs the cheeky little ones will just take them off when you're not looking!

Mintymoomoo Fri 04-Apr-14 07:21:53

My dd now nearly 11 is the same, every night she will just wear knickers or a pair of pj shorts, she has been the same since she was really small, in fact she would rather be naked the whole time, she was forever stripping off as a child and would just wonder about in wellies!

I don't really think it's a problem, she just seems to get hot and uncomfy in bed

chrome100 Fri 04-Apr-14 07:24:21

If the house is on fire surely wearing clothes would be the least of your worries?! I know I would far rather escape alive in the nude than be burned alive trying to pull on my PJs.

DS is another warm-bodied chap. He often sleeps in just boxers or shorts, and has been stripping off in the middle of the night from about 3. I put a top at the end of his bed in case he wants it in the middle of the night but it is rarely used.

I just wish I was that warm- I'm always cold.

Coumarin Fri 04-Apr-14 08:22:14

In contrast to the Other Thread, I think this is fine. So long as he's warm and comfy I can't see a problem with it.

pointythings Fri 04-Apr-14 08:41:34

My DDs have both started sleeping naked in the past year, up until then they couldn't be prised out of PJs/nighties though...

No threadworms in this family either.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 04-Apr-14 08:44:59

Ds always used to strip off, in fact he still does. Dh always sleeps naked, I on the other hand wear more clothes to bed than I do it the day, I resemble a buttoned up Victorian grin

RedFocus Fri 04-Apr-14 08:47:14

My son is 10 and sleeps in just boxers and has done for years. He runs quite hot so pj's would just overheat him which leads to disturbed sleep. Of course if he goes to a sleep over he takes shortie pj's but they rarely get to sleep late anyway so it's not bad.
Being 5 and sleeping naked isn't a problem but when he gets older you may want him to pop a dressing gown on when he leaves his room as that can be embarrassing grin
I used to sleep naked as I run hot at night too but I have to get up a lot in the night to see to my daughter and I'm far to lazy to keep putting a dressing gown on every time so I wear a vest and pj bottoms and kick the covers off. My dh wouldn't dare sleep naked anymore, not since my youngest caught a glimpse of his penis and collapsed on the floor laughing wink

Morloth Fri 04-Apr-14 08:50:31

DH and both DSs sleep in just boxers.

I sleep naked.

Nataleejah Fri 04-Apr-14 08:54:58

My DC sleep naked when its hot or they just feel like it.

Polarn Fri 04-Apr-14 08:55:08

Haha redfocus. Your poor dh!

My 4yr old sleeps naked, has done for about a yr now. Both dh and I sleep naked too.

As pp says, if house burns down we'll just get out naked. We have lots of lovely neighbours who I'm sure would soon clothe us!

pyjamaramadrama Fri 04-Apr-14 09:16:17

Phew glad it's not weird. He does get very hot at night even with a low tog duvet. The upstairs of our house gets very warm even in winter.

I put a pair of pyjamas on the end of his bed every night but he insists he doesn't want them.

If he's staying out I do make him wear at least pyjama bottoms.

hoohah Fri 04-Apr-14 09:25:52

What a relief reading this thread!

12yo ds is another nudist, stripping off as soon as he comes home and quietly shedding clothes throughout the night. What to do when he reaches puberty?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now