To have never really understood the appeal of the "pigeon toe" stand and actually think that people who insist in doing it are twats

(91 Posts)
whatthehellcanIcallmyself Thu 27-Mar-14 18:50:17

I see this pose done a lot in fashion magazines or by people who are trying to look a bit cool but casual etc.

Dunno, it just seems very affected to me and I instantly just think "twat" if is see someone posing like this or when having their photo taken.

do you know what I mean? AIBU? Am I the only one?

TheRealAmandaClarke Thu 27-Mar-14 18:53:33

grin

BeverleyMoss Thu 27-Mar-14 18:55:07

There are worse things in fashion mags to get annoyed about, such as the drugged up I'm about to collapse like bambi look.

And since I am pigeon toed and sometimes have my photo taken standing up showing my pigeon toed-ness I'm going to get all offended now about your twat accusation.

<humph>

pebble075 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:56:54

I think the appeal is tat its supposed to make your thighs look more flattering/toned/'gappy?!'
Agree it looks silly, usually accompanied by a naive pout?

GlassCaseofEmotion Thu 27-Mar-14 18:58:07

I misread this for camel toe...

NurseyWursey Thu 27-Mar-14 19:16:55

Me too glass I was trying to think of where I'd seen camel toe in fashion photos blush

fluffyraggies Thu 27-Mar-14 19:23:01

YANBU

i was thinking this very thing last night. A woman on tv was stood in high heels in a very try hard and obvious 'i'm so young and naive' pigeon toed stance and i thought what is she doing? hmm

picnicbasketcase Thu 27-Mar-14 19:24:28

Laughing at fashionable camel toe stance grin

GuineaPigGaiters Thu 27-Mar-14 19:25:59

I've never seen it, pictures please!

WooWooOwl Thu 27-Mar-14 19:27:14

YANBU! It's weird.

NewtRipley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:29:48

Jess Cartner Morley does it every Saturday in the Guardian

I know she's not 5 and I know she doesn't have real pigeon toes, so there's no excuse.

It. Is. Not. Winsome on a 40 year old

AnyFucker Thu 27-Mar-14 19:30:18

lol

NewtRipley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:30:27

Beverley

If you have real pigeon toes then you are excused.

Is it the way joanna lumley used to stand when ahe waspretending to be very elderly in aabsolutely fabulous?

Is it the way joanna lumley used to stand when ahe waspretending to be very elderly in aabsolutely fabulous?

NewtRipley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:32:13

AF. I love the captions

NewtRipley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:33:54

I think it is the modern equivalent of the Gaze Into The Distance, much beloved of knitting patterns

NewtRipley Thu 27-Mar-14 19:38:12

I had pigeon toes and knock knees as a child and underwent probably a year of physio and built up shoes. Who knew I needn't have bothered and could be a top fashion type?

NorbertDentressangle Thu 27-Mar-14 19:42:11

One of the worst offenders is Caroline Flack who ends up looking like she's got one really odd bendy leg.

minipie Thu 27-Mar-14 19:43:52

I think it's trying to seem younger and more naive and innocent. it's a very child like/teenage pose.

Yet another way in which we are encouraged to model ourselves on 15 year olds hmm

classic example from Boden

JethroTull Thu 27-Mar-14 19:44:44

I cannot abide Flack. Does she even have a talent?

HesterShaw Thu 27-Mar-14 19:45:34

Should I be standing like that? <worries> I stand like a brickie mainly.

MrsHoolie Thu 27-Mar-14 19:46:27

Yanbu. They are twats.
Unless they are actually pigeon toed like the poster further up.

HesterShaw Thu 27-Mar-14 19:46:31

Do pigeons actually stand like that though?

HappyAgainOneDay Thu 27-Mar-14 19:47:38

Pity they choose models who cannot stand properly. To show clothes off at their best, people who stand and hold themselves with good deportment will gain a lot more sales.

I saw a presenter the other day I don't like her who couldn't stand properly. If she must be on television, she ought to be shown from the waist up only.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now