to ask you to STOP BLOODY SNIFFING!

(36 Posts)
teaandthorazine Thu 27-Mar-14 13:54:28

For the last three mornings, I have stood on a packed commuter train next to A Sniffer. By the end of each 35 minute journey, I have meticulously plotted the long and painful death of each one of them.

I know colds are horrible. I know you probably feel like shite, and you're having to drag yourself into the office to have a meeting with Dull Kevin from Accounts when you'd rather be in bed with a hot water bottle and a cup of tea and some paracetamol. I do have some sympathy.

But please. Can I just ask that, if you wake up a bit sniffly, you TAKE A FUCKING TISSUE OUT WITH YOU? AND FUCKING USE IT? Otherwise I will be forced to push you onto the tracks.

Thank you.

bonkersLFDT20 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:31:29

I once asked an exam invigilator to ask someone to stop sniffing. I was becoming murderous.

I spoke to her afterwards and apologised for my lack of tolerance. Poor woman had terrible hay fever.

But this was my degree.

spindlyspindler Thu 27-Mar-14 14:38:31

Some people can't blow their nose. It's like rolling your tongue, apparently. Some people just can't. I am one of these people and it gives me no more pleasure to stand there snorking miserably, feeling your beady stare and knowing you want me dead, than it does you.

So YABU, but I'm not sorry and I'll do it again...

LittleMissLurksALot Thu 27-Mar-14 14:40:08

I am absolutely with you on this. I hate sniffing with a passion, especially when there's no escape from the Sniffer.

I had a Sniffer on the desk next to me in one of my A level exams and I just couldn't concentrate. Not just little sniffles either...you could hear the mucus moving. In an entirely silent hall when you are trying your best to concentrate on an exam paper it is torturous to hear. So I sent her a tissue through an invigilator.

The invigilator was very hmm at first, but it was a plain white tissue with no markings on at all and it was driving the other girls and staff mad too so she couldn't really say no.

The girl spoke to me at the end, she had been really conscious of it and so was very thankful. I dread to think what would have happened if I hadn't had tissues to pass on!

AmberLeaf Thu 27-Mar-14 14:54:42

IME blowing doesn't help in the slightest, it also would give me nosebleeds.

Glad Ive mostly grown out of it!

Rhiana1979 Thu 27-Mar-14 14:56:45

Urgh I work with someone like this. The proper back of the throat sniffing as if they're going to cough it up.

frogslegs35 Thu 27-Mar-14 15:07:01

I can be a sniffler.
I don't often have a stuffy nose but when I do the last thing that I want to do is blow it. When I do blow I get pain in my ears so bad it can last from an hour to a few days.
I know sniffing annoys people and I try not to do it too much but to be honest I don't fucking care who it offends, I'm not going to cause myself unneccesary pain for no-one.

DidoTheDodo Thu 27-Mar-14 15:11:43

PS My nickname (at horrible school) was "Sniffy Four Eyes" so learning to control my sniffing habit was a necessity for survival.

Callani Thu 27-Mar-14 15:13:34

I agree OP but the dirty looks you get if you dare to blow your nose on public transport! I'm not surprised some people resort to sniffing...

Cadsuane Thu 27-Mar-14 18:01:08

I have allergies year round and take medication (tablets and sprays) but still at this time of year I find myself sniffing.

Unfortunately I got accidentily hit in the nose hard enough to deviate my septum. Despite an operation which has corrected my breathing I am left with a nose that doesn't work properly. It runs backwards rather than forwards so despite that running nose feeling that causes me to sniff blowing my nose produces nothing as it is all going down my throat. Even with the worst cold I rarely need a hankie, i am just sick insteadd sad. I can often feel like I'm drowning/suffocating.

Andanotherthing123 Thu 27-Mar-14 18:06:29

Ds has mild tourettes and one of his ticks is sniffing-it's quite a commom one apparently.i have to remind people not to offer him tissues as it's involuntary and not snot related. It's made me much more tolerant to sniffing in general smile.

DoJo Thu 27-Mar-14 18:46:49

There is no need to snip with allergies, if you have the correct medication.

I know you have acknowledged that this may not be the case, but I just want to say that comments like this can make allergies even more intolerable. The smugness of someone assuming that you lack the minimal intellect it would take to go to the doctor and get medication if that was all it took can make you feel like shite, especially when you are already suffering with allergy symptoms.

I occasionally sniff because my nose is so sore with wiping and blowing that the skin in and around it is cracked and bleeding. By that stage I couldn't care less if you think that you are more qualified than my team of medical professionals to diagnose me - you can guarantee that I am feeling several degrees more pissed off about having to sniff than you are about having to listen to it. So although I am sorry for upsetting you, and I agree that it is a horrid noise, I won't be aggravating my condition any more by blowing my nose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now