To think she is so bloody ungrateful!!

(240 Posts)
hickorychicken Thu 27-Mar-14 11:17:57

And lives in a different world....
Someone I know got offered a gorgeous 3 bedroom house with a massive garden etc and all sje has done is whinge! She was given a £200 decorating grant but all she keeps saying is "Oh well its not like im getting any help, i mean i need help with carpets, i cant live like this im not having it!"
shock shock shock
I pointed out that i lived witg one room done for 2 YEARS. Its gotten me irrationally angry! I think im going to get a flaming but meh, some people want everything handed to them on a plate.

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 11:19:44

"got offered" - do you mean they are on benefits?

hickorychicken Thu 27-Mar-14 11:22:01

They are but thats not my point, this isnt about benefits iyswim smile

shakinstevenslovechild Thu 27-Mar-14 11:24:46

We all whinge about daft things sometimes, and there will always be someone who would be grateful to have our problems instead of their own, smile, nod, and ignore or change the subject, comparing what you both have/don't have will get you nowhere.

Bowlersarm Thu 27-Mar-14 11:24:50

If what you say is correct OP, then I'd say she sounds ungrateful too.

whatwhatinthewhatnow Thu 27-Mar-14 11:25:49

I know people who do the same. "The council cant fix my boiler for a whole 2 days! What do they expect me to do! They are so shit, how can they leave me like this??? What can I do!"

Er, call a plumber? And still wait more than 2 days. And then have to pay for the privilege too.

devoniandarling Thu 27-Mar-14 11:26:57

I think from your op she sounds very ungrateful. Some people are always hard done by though.

CoffeeTea103 Thu 27-Mar-14 11:41:00

She sounds so ungrateful. Perfect example of being entitled.

WanderingAway Thu 27-Mar-14 11:43:33

My friend is like this too. Ever since she got her house she has moaned about it. I just want to tell her to appreciate what she has.

JeanSeberg Thu 27-Mar-14 11:44:32

This is just the default personality type for some people.

If they won the lottery, they'd complain they had to go to London to collect the cheque or that it was paid in �20 notes instead of �10s...

I tried to avoid them in my life as much as I can.

I think she sounds spoiled, and should be counting her blessings - and I would say that if it's a council house she's been offered, or if her rich parents have bought her a house - either way, it is still whinging and spoilt.

dolphinsandwhales Thu 27-Mar-14 11:49:24

Yanbu, if she doesn't like what others offer her she should choose her own palace and fund It herself.

pointythings Thu 27-Mar-14 11:54:08

That's appalling, I have a friend who got a council house in January and she got the same grant for decorating - she's searched and Gumtreed and Freecycled and done her house up a treat with it. It just takes work. Anything she hasn't been able to afford to do she's saving up for.

thedrunkenduck Thu 27-Mar-14 11:57:44

Can you give me her address so my elbow and meet her nose? I'm about to have to spend a small fortune doing our flat up so we can sell it. I'd love a free £200 towards it..

deakymom Thu 27-Mar-14 11:58:15

ahhh i had a friend like this she had a social worker involved and her house was appalling the social worker helped her secure a housing association house (we have no council in our area) then the social worker had to arrange someone to move her and furniture (because hers smelt) and loads of other things she still complained the person who lived there before painted things green (the hallway so not too tragic) she complained she had to buy her own bed they only paid for her childrens bed etc etc i didnt go round till i calmed down!!

hickorychicken Thu 27-Mar-14 12:16:27

Im trying to avoid her a little tbh, its annoyed me so much, we are in the process of saving for a deposit on a house whilst paying off debt and she hasnt a care in the world yet thinks she should just be given everything.

normalishdude Thu 27-Mar-14 12:48:10

People on benefits get decorating grants? Wow.

ArtexMonkey Thu 27-Mar-14 12:53:56

Hey! Let's bash people in social housing!

Yes, council tenants get decorating grants. It saves the council money because if they had to send maintenance people in to make the place habitable, they would have to pay for materials AND labour.

There are some estates in my city where i wouldn't live for a gold pig. If literally my one and only option was be housed there or be homeless with my children, you bet i'd fucking moan, i'd moan the fucking place down, and any judgmental catsbum gobbed bosom hoikers could kiss my sweet ass.

NormanPeople on benefits do not 'get decorating grants'. I was working when I got my council flat and got a decorating grant, it needed painting was in a shocking state and its cheaper for the council to give a grant than pay for decorators.

OP your friend does sound annoying, I would love a house to live in, I lived in my flat for two years without carpets I saved up for them myself.

But that's not the case here, is it, Artex? The OP's friend isn't complaining because the house is in a bad area - she is picking faults with a nice house with a big garden, and the fact that she wants more money to do it up. That sounds spoilt, whether she's being given the house by the council or by a rich relative - the attitude would stink just as much if it were her parents who'd offered the house and £200 to do it up.

I bet there are lots of people on council house waiting lists who would love to be offered that house, and would be really happy with it.

gobbynorthernbird Thu 27-Mar-14 12:57:46

People moving into social housing (not necessarily on benefits) can sometimes get decorating grants. This is because there is often no flooring of any kind, the LL does not redecorate for a new tenant, etc, and it is cheaper than the LL putting the house into good, clean decorative order.

hickorychicken Thu 27-Mar-14 13:00:16

Always someone to try to start a bun fight.
Its nothing to do with the decorating grant its her attitude saying she has had no help...
Im bashing nobody in social housing, unless they are ungrateful for having a roof over their heads that is....
Please read the OP before jumping in.

Famzilla Thu 27-Mar-14 13:05:13

Someone on Facebook posted a tangy status about the council not giving her & her parter a 3 bed council house. They already have a 1 bed council flat which is lovely and in a nice area. They're 21 & 24.

Their reasoning for needing a bigger space?

"Well of course we're bloody cramped we have 2 dogs!"

This rant went on for over 100 comments slating single mums, the disabled, "forriners" etc.

Famzilla Thu 27-Mar-14 13:05:38

Ranty not tangy!

Evie2014 Thu 27-Mar-14 13:06:15

Hold on to your knickers Artex. It can be bloody annoying at certain stages in one's life to see others getting freebies. I remember being a struggling junior in my job after years of uni having to move back in with my parents, and two girls I'd been to school with got preggers and were given new build 3 bed houses on a lovely estate. It took me years to afford to rent a flat on my own. It rankled a lot at the time. Now I don't care and wouldn't swap my life but I can see how people at different stages can get upset looking at what other people are given. Especially when those people moan about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now