To wonder what the hell Cerelle mini pill is doing to me?

(65 Posts)
Bearbehind Thu 27-Mar-14 07:42:43

Not sure if this is the best place for this but posted here for traffic.

I was taking Femulen until it was discontinued without any problems, regular averagely heavy 4/5 day periods.

I had a very light, short period after the first packet of Cerelle then the heaviest period I've ever had 2 weeks later (blood clots and all - sorry tmi) which is now in its 8th day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Died it get better or is there another pill I can go onto!

Hardyr Sun 22-Mar-15 22:48:04

I've been on the combined pill for 24 yrs. last sept my dr said she wld flat out refuse to give me it anymore as I was over 40 and my mum had had cancer of womb lining ( from HRT but she all fine now ). I went onto cerelle at xmas and only yesterday had "pink blood". Only abit and not enough to where anything for it. Was told at my age I shld stop periods altogether on minipill. Anyway I had menstrual cramps too, but not bad. Stopped. Then 24 hrs later I've had a little again but now stopped. I did forget my pill yesterday, for the first time in 3 months, and took it 8 hrs later.
Cld this be the reason? Or shld I call the Dr?
I just do not know as been used to combined pill for sooo long.

Missr1996 Wed 04-Mar-15 16:49:47

Hi everyone, just wanting a bit advice! I came off cerezette last August due to bad migraines but I didn't mind that because I wasn't in a relationship, now I am and have been prescribed Cerelle? My doctor has told me its just the same as cerezette but with a different name ect? I'm worried as all I have read are bad reviews... I have a very fast metabolism and struggle to gain weight so the weight doesn't bother me but I've read a lot of people discovered it caused them acne? Is this true for all if so did it calm down after a bit or did you not have any problems? I just don't know what to do! I've taken my first pill today. I also haven't had a period since I came off cerezette in August..... So I don't know what Cerelle is going to do to my body! Please someone give me advice or ease my mind abit about this pill, thanks Elle

yippeekiyay2 Sun 01-Mar-15 09:39:12

I took the combined pill (couple of different brands) over a period of about 20 years with no problems, no bleeding other than on the week off etc. Had one break in it when having dd and they tried giving me the minipill when I went back after having her - nightmare! awful mood swings, irregular bleeding/spotting, lack of energy/libido etc. so I stopped taking it and they swapped me back, all good. Then, because of high bp last year they made me stop taking it and said try cerelle - again, awful, can't believe the change to my mood within a week and after a few weeks I stopped taking it. I feel really frustrated because I was happy on the combined pill and even the gp the high bp may have nothing to do with the pill - plus the fact they also admitted it was only borderline high.
I don't have a huge problem with not taking it usually but am dreading it during holiday times because I feel it would actually affect my enjoyment of going away if I can't use pool, feel ill from it, uncomfortable changing stuff out and about etc...but the thought of a coil makes me feel nauseous and that was the only other option they would offer me sad

Jonese3 Sun 01-Mar-15 08:51:48

I'm on cerelle also and I wasn't bleeding for the first few days, then it started. Although it's light it's such a nuisance. I'm worried about when my period will come, apparently it may not come which would make me anxious as to whether I'm pregnant, I don't know how easy it is to get pregnant on it though. I feel like I should stop taking this pill as it just doesn't feel right and is stressing me out a bit. Any comments?

annacabinet Thu 22-Jan-15 14:45:21

Hello, adding my two cents to this discussion.
I've been on Cerazette for about 9 years, with no real problems. Usually have a bleed twice a year at the most, not too heavy lasting a week. I went on Cerazette due to wanting contraception that would help my heavy and painful periods.
HOWEVER, I was put on Cerelle last July, with no real explanation why. Was told that it was just the same and to keep taking it as I did Cerazette. I went for my pill check after 6 months and was told I'd put on half a stone. Had an insane appetite for junk food which is not like me at all. Had a bleed before Christmas and now have just come on again. My skin is terrible (horrible spots around my neck and jawline) and my libido is even worse than it was before. Felt very low and irritable around Christmas. After reading on the internet about Cerelle I now know why all this has happened to me.
Very annoyed at how we have all been treated in regards to this pill and I've made an appointment to see the Nurse who put me on it. Really really hoping that I can go back to Cerazette otherwise I don't know what I'll do.

3amConversations Mon 19-Jan-15 20:45:48

Hi,
Although I'm sorry to see that so many have had negative experiences, I'm so relieved to know that I'm not alone.
I started Cerazette in Dec '13, for the first 6 months I was bleeding constantly, I was lucky if I got 3 days off twice a month. After that it settled and I would sometimes go as long as 2 weeks without a bleed and although there was some loss of libido and some (usually mild) PMS-like mood swings I found that I could live with it all.

Two months ago I was changed (without consultation) to Cerelle. I had one light bleed at the beginning and then nothing more until 4 days ago.

Great, right? NO!
My libido has all but disappeared, my breasts are downright painful and I have yet another bout of cystitis-a problem that was also present with Cerazette, I've already gained over half a stone in weight and my mood swings have turned me into somebody I don't recognize, when I'm not crying, I'm so angry at the most ridiculous things it scares me. I've become so anxious, paranoid and needy that I'm sabotaging my relationship. I hoped after the first month that things would get better but it's only getting worse and after a tearful chat with my daughter (who swears that coming off Cerelle was the best choice she ever made) I've decided to stop taking it.

Those of you that stopped taking Cerelle, how long before you returned to 'normal'?
Also, due to being 40 yrs old with a history of heavy periods and having a family history of breast cancer it seems (according to my GP) that my only other option is the Mirena coil. I'm not keen but would like to hear about any experiences from those that used it after the mini pill.

ihatethecold Sun 18-Jan-15 11:28:47

No. I haven't had that side effect.

nasK Sun 18-Jan-15 00:39:28

Hi, i have been using Cerazette for the past year. However, i am now using Cerelle and have been getting pains in my left breast under the nipple for the past 4 weeks. I have spoken to the docotor and they have given me ibuprofen but its not working. I wanted to know if anyone else is having the same problems and if anyone could give me some advice please.

ihatethecold Wed 14-Jan-15 16:23:33

It cured my PMT.
No periods at all and I've had no difference when I was swapped from Cerezette to Cerelle by my GP.
My headaches are less frequent.
Low libido though.

kittykarate Wed 14-Jan-15 16:10:15

I was moved from Cerazette to Cerelle, probably due to cost as Cerazette is about 10x the price of Cerelle.

After about 3 months I started a 2 week cycle of getting cold sore like blisters on my mouth, getting very irrational and bleeding for about 4 days. I talked to my doc and he's provisionally swapped me back to Cerazette to see if things settle down.

However, it totally varies person to person, some people just don't get on with the ingredients in some pills, it took about 5 attempts to get one that agreed with me.

itsnotmeitsyou1 Wed 14-Jan-15 15:19:59

I was on cerazette, no problems. However I was occasionally forgetting a pill here and there and went on the implant for 'peace of mind'. Well it worked, bled so much there was no chance of sex to even risk getting pregnant! They removed it and put me on cerelle. Bleeding continued to be sparodic, which never happened on cerezette but it could have been the aftermath of the implant. Not on any contraceptive at the moment, so can't comment on an alternative, sorry. When I need contraception again, I'm going to look into the coil.

LumpenproletariatAndProud Wed 14-Jan-15 14:45:42

OP is Micronor the mini pill?

I was on Cerelle and bled for 3 months, the heaviest Ive ever known, I was so ill. And stupid. I can't believe it took me so long to figure out its the bloody bloody pill!

Im now 8 days into Noristerone (sp) which is the mini pill again..... Im hoping I don't bleed to death on this one.....

eobrien Wed 14-Jan-15 14:39:29

Everyone is different and how it affects you individually but there does seem to be a similar thread among a lot of women.
I am in my 4month now on Cerelle but I am not going to stay on it. I was put on this pill as I have fibroids but it's the worst thing that I could have done! I have had 2 bleeds since being on it, the first one lasted just over 3 weeks and the 2nd one lasted 14 days. The weight gain too has been a nightmare. I have put on just under 1st and a half and my hormones are all over the place. The lack of libido is also terrible and unfortunately for me there is nothing else that they can give me but anything is better than being in this pill!

WillWorkForMoney Sat 10-Jan-15 20:34:48

Everyone is different, however apart from low libido, I love cerelle. No side effects, no periods, no cramps, no headaches (well not pill related ones i got on microgynon) and no pms. You could always give it a try for at least 3 months to see if it improves.

Aquamarine8 Sat 10-Jan-15 19:40:44

Hello smile

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice? I have been prescribed Cerelle for treating my issues with PMS. I am very hesitate to take it because of some bad reviews that I have read but really need to do something about my fluctuating hormones as it's interfering with my everyday life. I am trying to overcome my PMS symptoms naturally but I don't seem to be able to find the motivation to do so. Has anyone taken it and found an improvement in any PMS symptoms? And would anyone recommend it for this purpose?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give me!

Thank you,

Holly

tlh8179 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:12:08

I went to doc about 3 months ago to get the pill for contraceptive reasons.I was told as I am 35 I can only go on progesterone only pills.I was put on cereal.oh my goodness what have I done?! The doc did say it may be a bit of an emotional time initially while my body gets used to it. I didn't think it would be this bad. The only plus is I have only had one bleed. Everything else has been awful. I have acne on my shoulders and back that I didn't have previously. I feel nauseous and have headaches nearly every day. But the very worst side effect is my mood and lack of libido. I am so emotional now, and angry, sensitive,jealous, it is like having put every day:-( I am nervous to come off it because I keep thinking if I persevere maybe it will get better, but I just don't know. Has anyone else experienced this? Help!!!!

jess19933 Sun 23-Nov-14 08:56:08

To anybody who says cerelle is the same pill as cerezette it is not. Yeah same hormone same dose but I got changed from cerezette to Cerelle due to costs but have been experiencing worst pain everyday even when not on period but when I am it's the heaviest I've ever had. This NEVER happened on cerezette.

I am stopping this pill today as too unbarable.

Also I looked into them both and they are not the same as have different ingredients in them so they are not the same at all.

Bearbehind Fri 14-Nov-14 16:22:16

I changed from Cerelle onto Micronor and the horrible heavy bleeding stopped and I've been regular since then.

I have started to get a weird aching feeling in my general 'down there' area now though.

Not sure if it's linked and I can't really pinpoint where the ache it's.

The trouble is taking the pill is likely to upset something, it's just working out which one gives you what side affects.

I think you just have to be insistent (one of my pet hates is bulldog like doctors receptionist - some of them act like they are the bloody doctors).

Don't tell the receptionist the details, just say you have a gynaecological issue you wish to discuss with a doctor

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Fri 14-Nov-14 16:00:08

I just feel no one wants to talk to me about contraception. I was given injection with very little consultation after a termination. After 6m I realised I was a crazed nutter. Went to the gp and explained the side effects and she told me that they weren't related to the injection. She pushed for the coil but I was wary, took the pill cerazette and I have had a great 6m. I've had some upsetting times (family wise) and stress but I have coped fine and felt altogether more balanced.

My surgery doesn't do the coil so I made an appointment with the clinic, have lots of questions but was told to check the website.

Now I am not sure if I want the coil after this cerelle knocking me for six.

shadowfax07 Fri 14-Nov-14 15:36:32

LovelyRita, make an appointment to see a GP and ignore what the receptionist has told you - the active ingredient in the two pills is the same, but the filler ingredients are different.

I had a similar problem with Cerelle, my GP was happy enough to switch me back. HTH

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Fri 14-Nov-14 15:08:38

Hi there

I'm struggling with this. I was on cerazette with no problems and got switched to cerelle at my last appointment with no explanation.

That was ten days ago and I feel awful. Anxious, stressed, weepy, overwhelmed, all the things that I felt on the injection.

I called the doctors to see if I could speak to someone. The receptionist just told me it's the same pill, nothing has changed. I mentioned experiencing side effects and she said that I should speak to the pharmacist.

Darksideofthemoon88 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:51:48

I started on Cerelle after having my baby and it left my moody (DP was almost frightened to tell me how ratty I'd become) and totally lacking in sex drive. I'm on Noriday now and I'm much better on that.

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:14

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:06

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

SuburbanRhonda Sat 24-May-14 21:50:00

Not sure I understand who your post is directed towards, parental.

Let me guess - are you against the pill for some strange reason?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now