To wonder what the hell Cerelle mini pill is doing to me?

(44 Posts)
Bearbehind Thu 27-Mar-14 07:42:43

Not sure if this is the best place for this but posted here for traffic.

I was taking Femulen until it was discontinued without any problems, regular averagely heavy 4/5 day periods.

I had a very light, short period after the first packet of Cerelle then the heaviest period I've ever had 2 weeks later (blood clots and all - sorry tmi) which is now in its 8th day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Died it get better or is there another pill I can go onto!

Darksideofthemoon88 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:51:48

I started on Cerelle after having my baby and it left my moody (DP was almost frightened to tell me how ratty I'd become) and totally lacking in sex drive. I'm on Noriday now and I'm much better on that.

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:14

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:06

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

SuburbanRhonda Sat 24-May-14 21:50:00

Not sure I understand who your post is directed towards, parental.

Let me guess - are you against the pill for some strange reason?

Bearbehind Fri 23-May-14 22:48:42

I gave up with Cerelle before I bled to death!

On micronor now and so far so good.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 22:33:08

Hope you feel better soon thanks and sorry!

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 22:32:33

Oh dear, so sorry. I wonder whether that's related to the experience you've had on the pill?

SuburbanRhonda Fri 23-May-14 20:11:58

parental, read my comment upthread - I would have had to give up working if I hadn't gone on the pill. My periods were so bad I couldn't leave the house on day two.

So IMVHO, there was absolutely no option for me as a mother of two school-age DCs and a DH frequently away from home on business.

ihatethecold Fri 23-May-14 19:48:54

Parental unit,
Not everyone takes the pill for contraception.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 19:25:36

PS for what it's worth, I didn't take birth control pills, just abstained and then used condoms after we were married but weren't quite ready for baby making yet. Saved a bunch of pregnancy scares, hormonal swings and weight gain which I saw my friends go through.

I'm not judging, just saying there are other options besides taking hormones.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 19:23:33

Could you have been pregnant and had a miscarriage?

Damnautocorrect Fri 23-May-14 19:21:48

I was on femulen swapped to cerelle in October. It turned me into a massive pmt monster, very very down and spotty.
Just swapped to micro something.

lagoon Fri 23-May-14 19:12:23

I am tempted to carry on again now... Will see what happens over next three days.

Kundry Fri 23-May-14 18:41:33

I'm on Cerazette (would happily change to Cerelle) - it was a nightmare to start with and had daily bleeding for 3 months. I was just about to give up when it stopped, and best of all, never came back.

Marvellous stuff, have been free of any bleeding at all for years now. Stick with it, if I hadn't given it as long I'd never have realised how good it can be.

ihatethecold Fri 23-May-14 17:52:27

I was put in cerezette because I started getting aural migraines, I'm now on cerelle and haven't noticed a difference. Having had a period since I changed to this pill a year ago.
I also have zero sex drive also.
I also cannot cope with stress at all but my pmt has gone.

2kidsintow Fri 23-May-14 17:45:52

I'm on Cerelle and have been for a few years now. Not one period since starting on them. (Hurrah)

On the negative side, no libido (no change there though) and I get more spots than I used to.

Littlef00t Fri 23-May-14 17:41:27

I've been on it for a couple if years. Usually have v light periods then a heavy one every 6ish months. Hopefully your body will get used to it.

lagoon Fri 23-May-14 12:08:32

I started Cerelle over 4 weeks ago, was previously using condoms. First week, had no bleeding but my mood went crazy was like PMT x 10. Then I started bleeding, and bled for 10 days. Was only light but enough to need a lite tampon/pantiliner and to put me off sex. Then it stopped for 5 days and I thought, woohoo this is it! However it's now been back for the last five days however I would have been due a normal period at that point so wondering if its that. My libido has vanished, I want to eat comfort food all the time and feel anxious/depressed pretty much all the time too. I am going to take it for next couple of days and see if the bleeding stops, if not then it clearly isn't a 'period' and I am coming off it and going back to condoms.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 28-Mar-14 07:21:42

Firesidechat, I'm in the same boat as you - been on Cerazette (and now Cerelle) for about ten years and in all that time have never had periods whereas before they were beyond hellish. I'm now 52 and have been told I can stay on it for another couple of years.

Mental health appears fine (IMHO!) but my libido has long gone sad

WanderingAway Thu 27-Mar-14 21:35:47

I have been on cerelle for a couple of months. The first month i had quite heavy bleeding on and off for about a week or so. Nothing since. I feel much better on this pill than i did on my last.

I have been told that taking antibiotics can mess with your periods when on cerelle/cerazette.

nochips Thu 27-Mar-14 18:54:06

I was on cerelle and never had any bleeds. But, my libido vanished and i always felt depressed. Back on a combined pill now, and things are definitely better- although I am in my first month.

firesidechat Thu 27-Mar-14 18:41:51

At 50, if you're not having periods and using Cerazette you can ask your GP for a blood test to check FSH and depending on the result you may be able to stop your pill.

That's what I thought too, but the locum doctor I saw a few weeks ago didn't even suggest that. I'm 50 and she said that I should come off the pill in a couple of years time.

I did read somewhere that the mini pill doesn't mask the menopause, while the combined pill can. I'm not too sure though.

I used femulen and micronor before ending up on cerazette. Femulen and micronor gave me fortnightly periods so was a very effective contraceptive!

Bearbehind Thu 27-Mar-14 18:35:33

Thanks everyone- I'm glad it's 'normal' to bleed like this for a while and it sounds like it's worth persevering if there is no direct alternative to Femulen- I just hadn't appreciated that some contraceptives work by virtue of the fact you don't want to have sex cos you're permanently on your period grin

Sidge Thu 27-Mar-14 15:55:24

Cerazette and other progesterone only methods can be continued until 50+.

At 50, if you're not having periods and using Cerazette you can ask your GP for a blood test to check FSH and depending on the result you may be able to stop your pill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now