To wonder what the hell Cerelle mini pill is doing to me?

(50 Posts)
Bearbehind Thu 27-Mar-14 07:42:43

Not sure if this is the best place for this but posted here for traffic.

I was taking Femulen until it was discontinued without any problems, regular averagely heavy 4/5 day periods.

I had a very light, short period after the first packet of Cerelle then the heaviest period I've ever had 2 weeks later (blood clots and all - sorry tmi) which is now in its 8th day.

Has anyone else experienced this? Died it get better or is there another pill I can go onto!

tlh8179 Tue 25-Nov-14 19:12:08

I went to doc about 3 months ago to get the pill for contraceptive reasons.I was told as I am 35 I can only go on progesterone only pills.I was put on cereal.oh my goodness what have I done?! The doc did say it may be a bit of an emotional time initially while my body gets used to it. I didn't think it would be this bad. The only plus is I have only had one bleed. Everything else has been awful. I have acne on my shoulders and back that I didn't have previously. I feel nauseous and have headaches nearly every day. But the very worst side effect is my mood and lack of libido. I am so emotional now, and angry, sensitive,jealous, it is like having put every day:-( I am nervous to come off it because I keep thinking if I persevere maybe it will get better, but I just don't know. Has anyone else experienced this? Help!!!!

jess19933 Sun 23-Nov-14 08:56:08

To anybody who says cerelle is the same pill as cerezette it is not. Yeah same hormone same dose but I got changed from cerezette to Cerelle due to costs but have been experiencing worst pain everyday even when not on period but when I am it's the heaviest I've ever had. This NEVER happened on cerezette.

I am stopping this pill today as too unbarable.

Also I looked into them both and they are not the same as have different ingredients in them so they are not the same at all.

Bearbehind Fri 14-Nov-14 16:22:16

I changed from Cerelle onto Micronor and the horrible heavy bleeding stopped and I've been regular since then.

I have started to get a weird aching feeling in my general 'down there' area now though.

Not sure if it's linked and I can't really pinpoint where the ache it's.

The trouble is taking the pill is likely to upset something, it's just working out which one gives you what side affects.

I think you just have to be insistent (one of my pet hates is bulldog like doctors receptionist - some of them act like they are the bloody doctors).

Don't tell the receptionist the details, just say you have a gynaecological issue you wish to discuss with a doctor

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Fri 14-Nov-14 16:00:08

I just feel no one wants to talk to me about contraception. I was given injection with very little consultation after a termination. After 6m I realised I was a crazed nutter. Went to the gp and explained the side effects and she told me that they weren't related to the injection. She pushed for the coil but I was wary, took the pill cerazette and I have had a great 6m. I've had some upsetting times (family wise) and stress but I have coped fine and felt altogether more balanced.

My surgery doesn't do the coil so I made an appointment with the clinic, have lots of questions but was told to check the website.

Now I am not sure if I want the coil after this cerelle knocking me for six.

shadowfax07 Fri 14-Nov-14 15:36:32

LovelyRita, make an appointment to see a GP and ignore what the receptionist has told you - the active ingredient in the two pills is the same, but the filler ingredients are different.

I had a similar problem with Cerelle, my GP was happy enough to switch me back. HTH

LovleyRitaMeterMaid Fri 14-Nov-14 15:08:38

Hi there

I'm struggling with this. I was on cerazette with no problems and got switched to cerelle at my last appointment with no explanation.

That was ten days ago and I feel awful. Anxious, stressed, weepy, overwhelmed, all the things that I felt on the injection.

I called the doctors to see if I could speak to someone. The receptionist just told me it's the same pill, nothing has changed. I mentioned experiencing side effects and she said that I should speak to the pharmacist.

Darksideofthemoon88 Mon 01-Sep-14 19:51:48

I started on Cerelle after having my baby and it left my moody (DP was almost frightened to tell me how ratty I'd become) and totally lacking in sex drive. I'm on Noriday now and I'm much better on that.

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:14

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

Peepat Mon 01-Sep-14 18:01:06

I had to tell my docs that they had stopped making femulen (I'd been taking them for 8 or so years never had any issues and worked a treat), to then be put onto Cerelle which I have stopped taking on my own accord. Purely because they totally stopped my periods, turned me into a monster, loads of weight gain and endless amount of spots!
Since I have stopped taking them I'm able to lose weight, got the clearest skin ever and no longer happy one min, crying the next or biting someones head off! Can anyone recommend something different?

SuburbanRhonda Sat 24-May-14 21:50:00

Not sure I understand who your post is directed towards, parental.

Let me guess - are you against the pill for some strange reason?

Bearbehind Fri 23-May-14 22:48:42

I gave up with Cerelle before I bled to death!

On micronor now and so far so good.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 22:33:08

Hope you feel better soon thanks and sorry!

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 22:32:33

Oh dear, so sorry. I wonder whether that's related to the experience you've had on the pill?

SuburbanRhonda Fri 23-May-14 20:11:58

parental, read my comment upthread - I would have had to give up working if I hadn't gone on the pill. My periods were so bad I couldn't leave the house on day two.

So IMVHO, there was absolutely no option for me as a mother of two school-age DCs and a DH frequently away from home on business.

ihatethecold Fri 23-May-14 19:48:54

Parental unit,
Not everyone takes the pill for contraception.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 19:25:36

PS for what it's worth, I didn't take birth control pills, just abstained and then used condoms after we were married but weren't quite ready for baby making yet. Saved a bunch of pregnancy scares, hormonal swings and weight gain which I saw my friends go through.

I'm not judging, just saying there are other options besides taking hormones.

parentalunit Fri 23-May-14 19:23:33

Could you have been pregnant and had a miscarriage?

Damnautocorrect Fri 23-May-14 19:21:48

I was on femulen swapped to cerelle in October. It turned me into a massive pmt monster, very very down and spotty.
Just swapped to micro something.

lagoon Fri 23-May-14 19:12:23

I am tempted to carry on again now... Will see what happens over next three days.

Kundry Fri 23-May-14 18:41:33

I'm on Cerazette (would happily change to Cerelle) - it was a nightmare to start with and had daily bleeding for 3 months. I was just about to give up when it stopped, and best of all, never came back.

Marvellous stuff, have been free of any bleeding at all for years now. Stick with it, if I hadn't given it as long I'd never have realised how good it can be.

ihatethecold Fri 23-May-14 17:52:27

I was put in cerezette because I started getting aural migraines, I'm now on cerelle and haven't noticed a difference. Having had a period since I changed to this pill a year ago.
I also have zero sex drive also.
I also cannot cope with stress at all but my pmt has gone.

2kidsintow Fri 23-May-14 17:45:52

I'm on Cerelle and have been for a few years now. Not one period since starting on them. (Hurrah)

On the negative side, no libido (no change there though) and I get more spots than I used to.

Littlef00t Fri 23-May-14 17:41:27

I've been on it for a couple if years. Usually have v light periods then a heavy one every 6ish months. Hopefully your body will get used to it.

lagoon Fri 23-May-14 12:08:32

I started Cerelle over 4 weeks ago, was previously using condoms. First week, had no bleeding but my mood went crazy was like PMT x 10. Then I started bleeding, and bled for 10 days. Was only light but enough to need a lite tampon/pantiliner and to put me off sex. Then it stopped for 5 days and I thought, woohoo this is it! However it's now been back for the last five days however I would have been due a normal period at that point so wondering if its that. My libido has vanished, I want to eat comfort food all the time and feel anxious/depressed pretty much all the time too. I am going to take it for next couple of days and see if the bleeding stops, if not then it clearly isn't a 'period' and I am coming off it and going back to condoms.

SuburbanRhonda Fri 28-Mar-14 07:21:42

Firesidechat, I'm in the same boat as you - been on Cerazette (and now Cerelle) for about ten years and in all that time have never had periods whereas before they were beyond hellish. I'm now 52 and have been told I can stay on it for another couple of years.

Mental health appears fine (IMHO!) but my libido has long gone sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now