to think that MN is England centric because most MNers on here are from England

(90 Posts)
kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:28:49

So what do Scots expect?

I know this will wind people from Scotland up and it's not meant to. But the vast majority of people in the UK are from England and use terms like "the North" to think of Northern England, they think about English term times and English Law because - well most people are from England.

I am sure some people will say - but it's a UK website. Well, it's international really but with most people from England.

People aren't trying to piss the Scots off when they use these terms - it's just that most people will live in England and will use English centric language and thinking.

(Prepared for a flaming )

NigellasDealer Wed 26-Mar-14 19:31:12

to be honest i know what you are saying on a purely statistical level.
on the other hand, many many English people are really quite rude and ignorant about Wales, Scotland and Ireland.

kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:33:35

There's no excuse for being rude.
But if a thread mentions "The North", it's more than likely the OP is refering to Northern England. (Or North London grin )

OldLadyKnowsNothing Wed 26-Mar-14 19:42:18

As a Scot, living in Scotland, I know most MNers are English and living there. References to "the North" are mildly irksome, but don't really annoy me all that much. If I need to ask a question about Scots law, I'll say so, because sometimes it's different - housebuying, for example. Our NHS is different, our educational system is different...

I think it annoyed me more when I was younger, maybe old age has mellowed me. grin

meditrina Wed 26-Mar-14 19:42:48

Most of the population of Uk lives in England. So if MN is representative, then there will be more Uk posters in England than in the other home nations.

I am always a little surprised that there aren't more London posters, given the size of the capital. Or perhaps they're all incognito (or I'm just dense about noticing).

Alisvolatpropiis Wed 26-Mar-14 19:44:23

What about WELSH PEOPLE eh Kim.

It's not all about the English and Scottish.

<misses point grin>

EurotrashGirl Wed 26-Mar-14 19:48:18

Your post made me curious, so I looked up some population figures
According to the 2011 Census:
83.9% of the UK population live in England
8.4% in Scotland
4.8% in Wales
2.9% in Northern Ireland

CorusKate Wed 26-Mar-14 19:49:08

Why would an English person saying "the North" to mean northern England irk anyone even a tiny bit? The UK is the nation I'm in but nobody has ever said Northern Britain, Western Britain, Western UK or Southeastern Britain to mean Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England.

GhettoPrincess Wed 26-Mar-14 19:51:03

Thank you OP. It's been ages since I had a statement of the blindingly obvious.

Lots of people who are either foreign or live overseas (like me) contribute.

AIBU to think MN is English language centric because that's the only language people type in ?

Ubik1 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:52:34

are Scottish people annoyed?

have i missed something?

kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 19:53:42

ghetto

Of course it's obvious - but then if you are from England and you post something about "The north" or you forget that Scotland is on school holidays, sometimes people get annoyed.

ethelb Wed 26-Mar-14 19:56:37

I bet those people in Sweden are FURIOUS about people in England
refering to Newcastle as in the north. FURIOUS I say.wink

But in all seriousness, why should someone English be required to be super informed about all things Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish? Obviously one should aim to be as knowledgeable as possible, but why of those particular countries?

Northern Ireland has a population the size of Yorkshire or Hampshire. I'm pretty sure people don't expect the population of Northern Ireland to be hugely informed about either of those counties?

I am being purposley antagonistic btw, but I fail to see why anyone English is obliged to be 'less ignorent' about these fairly small countries?

EEatingSoupForLunch Wed 26-Mar-14 19:56:46

I like it when someone says where they are from, I can read their posts in the appropriate accent. OldLady I am thinking a sort of soft Lowlander tone for you?

BillyBanter Wed 26-Mar-14 19:56:59

I'm Scottish living in England and it bothers me not one bit when people say The North, as in Northern England. It would annoy me if they included Scotland in The North, in fact.

I just say 'you're all soft southern bastards to me'.

PansBigChainring Wed 26-Mar-14 19:58:59

Reads like a clumsy, ill-thought out and divisive OP tbh. Nooo idea what your motive is though, other than being bored.

NigellasDealer Wed 26-Mar-14 19:58:59

ethelb i would not expect the English to be 'super-informed' about the other nations that make up our state, but honestly some of the things I have heard over the years!

BillyBanter Wed 26-Mar-14 20:01:01

People often seem to think 'I know this therefore so should you, and if you don't know this you must be stupid'. It's not restricted to knowledge about other countries.

kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:01:02

pans

There's another thread where someone talks about moving up North.

PansBigChainring Wed 26-Mar-14 20:02:26

yes I know about that. Still doesn't cast this thread in any a better light. Unless you just want for yourself a bit of an entertaining bun fight.

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:04:29

It's irritating when posters write 'UK Education system' or 'UK law' when they mean the English systems. It's using the terms England and UK interchangeably that is the problem, IMO.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Wed 26-Mar-14 20:05:57

I'm not bothered about "the North"

I am bothered about people writing as if England = UK and assuming everything is the same across all the constituent nation. An example of this would be when mumsnet had something on their front page along the lines of "UK parents anxiously await the results of their school applications" or when on the national news they go on about education or NHS reforms and never once bother to mention that it is not applicable to Scotland.

This is factually incorrect (mumsnet did later correct) and it shows that the author has no appreciation of the fact that England is not the same as UK.

kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:07:03

Not meant to be a bun fight - just an OP.

I can see Stargirls point - UK law doesn't exist - it Scottish law and well, is it English and Welsh Law - but what about NI?

I'm not sure what we call law in the rest of the UK apart from Scotland.

treaclesoda Wed 26-Mar-14 20:07:45

I don't expect people to be super informed about NI, for example, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect English people to understand some fairly basic things. Eg. I once saw a poster trying to discuss a problem with her child's nursery, and poster after poster told her to contact Ofsted. She pointed out a few times that Ofsted don't cover NI and still people waded in insisting that they do. (They don't). That sort of English-centric thinking can grate. It's not that people were unaware, it's that they were disbelieving.

Also, if someone asks for a recommendation for a UK city break, don't say Dublin wink

itsmeitscathy Wed 26-Mar-14 20:08:10

OP, are you secretly working for Yes Scotland?

kim147 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:10:34

OFSTED doesn't do NI shock

But how do you know if the school's any good grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now