To think that microwaving a potato

(118 Posts)
Roseformeplease Wed 26-Mar-14 17:10:48

and putting some cheese on it is hardly a worthwhile Home Economics lesson?

Just that, really. DD made that today in her S1 (year 7) class. We don't have to supply ingredients but what a waste of time.

At home she makes cakes, meringues, quiches etc. Is it any wonder she is choosing Chemistry?

BumPotato Sat 29-Mar-14 11:52:03

Gran is very independent and still lives in her own home. Personally I think she should be allowed the cooker and treated like an adult but it isn't my decision. I tried to get her started with a slow cooker but one of the aunties put the kibosh on that.

CorusKate Sat 29-Mar-14 11:38:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BumPotato Sat 29-Mar-14 11:19:51

Mrsjay can you ask your mum her secret? My gran who is in her nineties isn't allowed (by the family) to cook using a cooker, due to forgetting to switch it off. She's allowed the micro but was moaning about non crispy bacon to me just yesterday.

Roseformeplease Sat 29-Mar-14 11:14:22

Yes, agree but in Scotland there is a maximum class size of 18 for practical subjects and, in a tiny school, it is a class of 12!

Grennie Sat 29-Mar-14 00:30:05

I learnt how to make a white sauce in a class of 30. And how to use it to make many other dishes.

Silverdaisy Fri 28-Mar-14 23:15:27

Rose, I do understand your point of view. It is so important that people are taught basic skills from an early age, and this should initially start at home.

I believe home economics is essential at school, however I don't see how class of 30 will all learn. I can't imagine how a teacher would effectively teach a class that size how to make a white sauce. Imagine running between every one to check they are actually getting it right?

Then also getting them to understand how this will be a useful tool for many dishes.

Cooking classes, in my opinion, should be with at most 6 people.

angeltulips Fri 28-Mar-14 23:06:13

Tbh id much rather my daughter spent time at school doing chemistry rather than home ec

If she can master chemistry experiments I feel confident she'll be able to read instructions for cooking a potato or boiling an egg in later life

Silverdaisy Fri 28-Mar-14 23:03:41

Cheesybadger, snap smile

Roseformeplease Fri 28-Mar-14 17:18:12

I have no problem with cheese (especially if it comes with pickle) or with potatoes, baked or otherwise. It just shows a lack of ambition for pupils most of the way through a YEAR of HE; using a microwave is not hard, nor is grating cheese.

MinesAPintOfTea Fri 28-Mar-14 11:59:31

Seems reasonable. IMO rather than the design bollocks in the lower half of secondary the tech subjects should be focusing on small projects that demonstrate ask the basic skills.

So this would have been an illustration of sensible microwave timings/how to make lunch in 5 minutes. A textiles project would be to make a simple pair of shorts etc. Because the current system does a disservice to those who can already do it all and those who don't know where to start.

mrsjay Fri 28-Mar-14 10:28:44

my mum makes amazing bacon in the microwave it is delicious she can get it to go crispy I just make it soggy and slimey

anklebitersmum Fri 28-Mar-14 10:28:24

I know it does improve mrsjay DS is taking HE as an option in fact-he loves it.

I just think that peeling the potato, chopping it up, boiling it, knowing when it's 'done' followed by mashing it with a little butter and milk would be a more productive lesson than 'poke with a fork and nuke' iyswim?

ComposHat Fri 28-Mar-14 10:28:22

Ah I missed that one. Tilly!

I would put the bingo card up, but I am too busy enjoying a pot noodle and babycham for elevenses.

whois Fri 28-Mar-14 10:27:13

Also someone mentioned 6 things 6 ways earlier. I think that's a fantastic idea.

So eggs, mince, pasta etc

whois Fri 28-Mar-14 10:25:34

Also, when I first left home, all I had was a microwave, a teaspoon and a fiver. I cooked bacon in it and all sorts!

My dad used to cook bacon for me in the microwave <shudder> it's an absolute travesty! Apparently it 'doesn't smell the house out' doing it that way.

When I go home I make sure I do breakfasts for everyone!

TillyTellTale Fri 28-Mar-14 10:15:39

Compos

I am waiting for someone to have a fit of the vapours about the kids eating cheese, claiming it is a terrible example to set and this fat laden poison

Your bingo card is full. Been done! Can we have a picture of it? grin

mrsjay Fri 28-Mar-14 10:12:17

it does show them how to peel and chop and whatnot ankle dd has her kitchen health certificate doodah from home economics

anklebitersmum Fri 28-Mar-14 10:11:48

We used to have to write out the ingredients and a 'method' in our exercise books (having had a demonstration during the lesson) so we could do it ourselves the next week.

I still have the wrapping paper covered exercise book which DS1 (14) thinks is most amusing grin

anklebitersmum Fri 28-Mar-14 10:08:26

I think that home economics should be taught as a mandatory lesson like PE. It's a vital life skill that everyone should have.

That said it should be teaching food groups and 'proper' cooking skills (peeling, chopping and basic kitchen skills etc etc) not just how to nuke a spud or put cans of fruit in a bowl.

Most eleven year olds are capable of doing more than prick a spud and press a button given the right input.

CheesyBadger Fri 28-Mar-14 10:00:16

But Horris, I couldn't make tea when I moved out at 17! Mum did everything! Some people need the basics

mrsjay Fri 28-Mar-14 09:56:01

exactly grennie

Grennie Fri 28-Mar-14 09:53:29

My first cookery lesson at school was tea, boiled egg and buttered soldiers. They taught me how to follow a recipe and make basic meals. I think that was the right approach.

Horispondle Fri 28-Mar-14 09:50:19

We were 'taught' to make a cup-a-soup at school. I kid you not.

CheesyBadger Fri 28-Mar-14 09:50:04

Also, when I first left home, all I had was a microwave, a teaspoon and a fiver. I cooked bacon in it and all sorts!

mrsjay Fri 28-Mar-14 09:48:45

if she is only in 1st year then it is basic cooking isnt it ddo has done home ecconomics from 1st to 5th year and yes some of the things she has made in the early years are a bit meh but come on not all children bake and cook at home it is about making simple meals really and if one child can stick a tattie in the microwave and feed themselves then that has to be a good thing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now