To get upset over meeting with DS's teacher today

(84 Posts)
caramellokoalalover Wed 26-Mar-14 13:21:41

DS's reception teacher asked to speak to me today about DS (5). Apparently a few weeks ago a parent complained to the school that DS had taught their child to say 'silly bastard'. School gave DS benefit of the doubt, not having overheard anything themselves, said nothing to me, and gave the whole school a talk about not using bad language.
Parents went into school on Monday and said they had witnessed my DS telling their child at a birthday party on Saturday to say 'silly bastard'. Teacher has told me they need to take it up with DS and inform me what's happening.
Feel so upset by it all. AIBU to get so upset over first 'called in to the school' offence? Anyone else feel like shit when their DC get into trouble?

caramellokoalalover Thu 27-Mar-14 16:26:40

Tanith you should be proud of his spelling skills. Clearly very bright grin

Hullygully Thu 27-Mar-14 16:27:56

COMPLAINED TO THE SCHOOL? TWICE?

dear sweet little baby jesus

RustyBear Thu 27-Mar-14 16:49:27

No, I'm not the parent, but I do work in a school office, and I have many years' experience of the things parents complain about and the often strange reasons why they do. And close to the top of the list is any insinuation that the teacher doesn't instantly believe every word their pub says....

jonicomelately Thu 27-Mar-14 16:52:02

Honestly OP. You and your DS will be pissing yourselves laughing about this when he's a teenager grin

vjg13 Thu 27-Mar-14 17:22:03

How do you feel about the teacher calling your child a "lively character", teacher speak for PITA!

mrsandy Fri 04-Apr-14 10:02:42

Have we suddenly evolved into some amazing world where kids never swear and if they do its a major catastrophe??? ALL KIDS SWEAR and it isnt a problem so long as they learn when to do it...like we all did.Why? Because swearing is words....just words...Those parents have well over reacted. He 5!!!! This is more of a funny story than something to complain to the school about...I hope you feel OK by now OP... This is a major overeaction on their part. Dont let others make you feel anything bad. Know you are doing just fine.

Floggingmolly Fri 04-Apr-14 10:13:28

All 5 year old's don't swear hmm. I agree it's not a huge deal, but it can't be written off as "oh, never mind, all kid's swear" either. Not at 5.

Preciousbane Fri 04-Apr-14 10:14:17

My DS told me to fuck off very shortly after starting primary school. He said the older dc in top year had been teaching all the reception dc. I just said it is a bad word and not to be used and didn't storm up the school.

Those parents are going to have plenty of shocks in store as their child gets older.

mrsjay Fri 04-Apr-14 10:19:16

do you know the parents I know it is a school thing but could you apologise on your sons behalf I am not normally one for saying approach parents but it does seem it might get out of hand, I can imagine the horror on your face tell your son off for swearing and see how it goes 5yr olds can be silly but he needs to stop

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now