To think Southampton city centre is disappointing?

(129 Posts)
Perplexing Wed 26-Mar-14 08:40:08

I visited yesterday for first time in about 21 years. Apart from the West Quay centre which, unless I missed a lot of it, I found underwhelming, there didn't seem to be much else. And what little else there is seems to close at 5.30. The place felt rather soulless and almost seedy, even at 6pm. The top end of town is now pretty derelict (where Tyrrell & Green used to be) and unless I've gone deaf in the intervening tears, the civic centre clock has stopped chiming. There were also lots of people swearing in public, I mean you expect to hear a few, but it seemed literally every other person was saying F-this or that (very loudly) confused

TiggyKBE Sat 29-Mar-14 16:45:08

Good green spaces in the city centre. Big Mall with all the big shops you could want. No tourist/sightseeing things. Poor small shopping. There's no waterfront.

BMW6 Sat 29-Mar-14 17:01:12

Well I love Southampton and have for the entire 56 years of my life! It went through a bad patch in the Nineties (or was it the Eighties?) but massive changes for the better since then.

Why do I love it? The History, multiculturalism, fantastic parks, short drives to beauty spots, trains to anywhere, great hospitals (spent a LOT of time in them as a child)..... I could go on.

Oh look, Saints have beaten Newcastle 4-0

Poor old Skate......grin

NunsArePeopleTooDougal Sat 29-Mar-14 17:59:21

I'm a big upset with the slagging off Southampton's getting! Everyqhere has its good and bad points, and the Mayflower and Sea City museum are certainly good! I don't care about shopping abd town has everything I need.
Anyway, on a football related note, WTFILN Pompey? smile smile smile

Tommy Sun 30-Mar-14 19:04:57

hear hear nunsarepeopletoodougal smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now