To think Jo Whiley should stop repeating her name?

(55 Posts)
vexedfoxy Wed 26-Mar-14 05:54:17

Is it me or does Jo Whiley...that is Jo Whiley tell us who she is every 30 seconds? 'I am Jo Whiley...join me later..cos I a Jo Whiley...............

HesterShaw Wed 26-Mar-14 16:07:08

grin

I mainly love her for her Catatonia days and songs like this and this.

Blueberrybaby Wed 26-Mar-14 17:27:51

I can't bloody stand her. I gave up listening to Radio 1, many moons ago in my mid/late 20s. I'm now mid/late 30s. I started to feel I was pushing the limit with their age group demographic, so figured it was time to shift over to something else. Yet what I couldn't fathom was that she was STILL broadcasting on there, until well into her 40s. I didn't and still don't get it. She was old enough to be the mother of most of her listeners and her interviews were far too gushy about how cool all these groups were. She was like some simpering, trying to be hip 'cool', down with the kids Mum. The absolute worst times were when she would broadcast her morning show on Radio 1, the day after the Brits or maybe Glastonbury and she would be constantly apologizing for how 'hungover' she was and name dropping all the people she had partied with the previous night. Oh sod off. Rant over.

Echocave Wed 26-Mar-14 19:17:26

I've always quite liked Jo Whiley, don't know why. I actually think she might be ins of those 'effortlessly cool' types [disclaimer: am totally uncool so not sure I can judge]. Lauren Laverne's ok on the radio but I have to switch over when she's on the TV as I find her glib, smug and a bit shallow. Her stint on the culture show was awful as I don't think she had a clue what she was talking about. I think she was axed in favour of that art critic bloke - because he knows a bit more about it.

winkbingo Wed 26-Mar-14 19:34:13

Another Cerys fan here - she makes it seem effortless being so cool

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 26-Mar-14 20:30:41

I had a massive girlscrush on Cerys as a teenager. Was completely obsessed with Catatonia.

I think the constant repetition of Catatonia albums and singles almost drove my mum to a breakdown. That's All Folks played on repeat for about a fortnight was probably the point that would have broken her.

LaQueenOfTheSpring Wed 26-Mar-14 20:44:07

Ah yes, the terribly smug Jo 'Hey, I've had a drink with the band' Wiley...both her, and Fiona Bruce are enormously pleased with themselves and both do that annoying 'slightly shaking their heads, when emphasising a point, whilst at the same time making their fringe fall seductively in their eyes'

Maybe she does forget her name....she came into the shop I used to work in a few years ago and I kid you not, she had a velour track suit with her initials embroidered on it! hmm

squoosh Wed 26-Mar-14 20:56:07

She always does that thing of bowing her head a bit and then peeping up in a coy Diana-esque way.

Capricorn76 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:59:28

Jo 'I discovered Nirvana' Whiley turned me off Radio 1. I just found her annoying and the bands she interviewed probably laughed about how obviously try hard she was. I hope they never let her near 6 Music. The DJ's there are knowledgeable and clearly love music but aren't so 'I'm with the band, don't you wish you were me' about it.

LaQueenOfTheSpring Wed 26-Mar-14 20:59:42

Yep squoosh that's what I meant...I think it's to make her look coy and kooky...instead it just makes me want to trim her fringe FFS.

WipsGlitter Wed 26-Mar-14 21:05:38

I once saw photos of her at some big fashion event and she was "spontaneously" barefoot when it was so obviously contrived to make her look winsome.

OTOH she does a lot of great stuff for mencap (her sister has learning difficulties)

SilverShins Wed 26-Mar-14 21:15:24

Oh I do find her so very annoying. She used to sit next to John Peel on the Glastonbury show basically contributing nothing at all. I find her pretty sycophantic.

i must agree i dont like her commentating on glastonbury, down with the bands. but i do like her evening show

ArtexMonkey Wed 26-Mar-14 21:53:29

Oh! When she had that tv show, and she used to sit there cross legged with bare feet. Ffs! And once, she had Jarvis Cocker on, and he was talking about albums he liked, in full flow, and he mentioned Pet Sounds, and she cut across him to go 'yeah, seminal album, yeah' as though it was this truly insightful thing she'd just said, and he gave her this LOOK of total disgust, like she'd just shat in his crimplene jacket, it was beautiful.

ArtexMonkey Wed 26-Mar-14 21:56:17

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Lighthousekeeping Wed 26-Mar-14 21:57:32

I agree she does an awful lot for MENCAP and I know people who have met her in that capacity and say she's brilliant.

HowLongIsTooLong Wed 26-Mar-14 22:10:15

For those of you who haven't seen it, this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MZzaCobhtE

shows just how obnoxious JW is. Glad Lily Allen stuck up for herself!

NomDePrune Wed 26-Mar-14 22:43:00

Once she was interviewing Paolo Nutini before he did a live show and she asked him the meaning of his song 'Pencil Full of Lead". He thought she was having a laugh and just sort of giggled but she genuinely didn't get it and made him explain. God it was cringeworthy.
Also I remember Bill Bailey on Buzzcocks referring to the Jo Whiley High Hat -the sharp intake of breath between the teeth. Obviously grates on him too!

BOFtastic Wed 26-Mar-14 22:57:20

<wheeze>

jonicomelately Thu 27-Mar-14 08:50:19

The velour tracksuit with embroided initials sounds hilarious. Either she has a brilliant sense of humour or she's completely lost in showbiz.

Kudzugirl Thu 27-Mar-14 08:59:26

There was another DJ who wore a tracksuit with their initials on. That didn't end so well.

flipchart Thu 27-Mar-14 12:04:11

I guess i would put the Wiley/Allen down to a clash of personalities. They clearly don't like each other on that clip.

Nobody is ever going to like everyone. Doesn't mean you are a bad person.

Maybe the track suit was a promo gift. Who knows? Easy to make assumptions.

Mintyy Thu 27-Mar-14 12:07:48

She gets slightly on ma tits but then I always think to myself well it could be worse she could be Janice Long omg!

giveadogabonio Thu 27-Mar-14 18:56:17

Haha, I remember her show. Just googled it

late 1990s-tastic!

The hair! Do you remember that hair style? And trainers with a skirt? It all seemed to make sense back then confused

flipchart Thu 27-Mar-14 23:06:06

OMG.
I had my hair in a bonkers style like that ( and skirts with trainers.... I looked fab honest!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now