To think that people (girls/women) are more attractive these days?

(60 Posts)
moomin35 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:44:07

When I see pictures of girls and peers on facebook I can't help but think how good looking everyone is. In my day, whilst my friends were certainly not ugly, we were all, well, very ordinary! If you were good looking (I'm talking 90's early 00's I guess) then you stood out and were spoken about (in a good way!). Nowadays there are beautiful people everywhere, anyone else think this too?

harriet247 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:47:41

More smoke and mirrors nowadays!

Procrastinating Tue 25-Mar-14 17:49:14

In the 90s you didn't take 100 pictures and then choose the best one.

Digital cameras.

whomadeyougod Tue 25-Mar-14 17:50:03

there are more photo apps to help people look better now .

TheBody Tue 25-Mar-14 17:50:14

hair extensions, fake nails, false eyelashes, great makeup, eyebrow shaping, all now cheaper.

GertTheFlirt Tue 25-Mar-14 17:50:47

No. In the same way that you are generalising I can too. I have this overwhelming urge to drag young ladies to a mirror and point out many things including Marx Brothers eye brows, orange foundation tide marks, orange palms, dyed black or purple hair, back combed - none of it is a good look. I damned well know we (of the 80's generation) emulated Princess Di and were well groomed. But I accept there were the pseudo punks with bleached hair and over done eyeliner at the same time

HPparent Tue 25-Mar-14 17:51:01

I think as you get older young people look more attractive than they seemed we were all young. I suppose youth itself is beautiful. I think there is a lot more pressure on young people to look pristine and groomed than in my day.

TheBody Tue 25-Mar-14 17:52:16

yeah and photoshop!

Bellyshelf Tue 25-Mar-14 17:53:56

Yup, definitely more smoke and mirrors!

I turned in 2000 I was 18/19yo. I don't have half the products and gadgets I have now and the ones I did have were rubbish compared to nowadays. Back then I had a big standard Rimmel foundation, now I have a Maybelline one that does all sort of light reflecting witchery and apparently improves your skin too. I used to have clunky Babyliss hair straighteners with a slide on brush attachment. They heated up to roughy 10 degrees and it took ages to get vaguely straight hair. Now I have slimline ceramic ones that heat up so hot I could probably cook my dinner on them, I just run them through my hair and it's poker straight and shiny within minutes. Other people probably have lots and lots of products and gadgets that I don't.

Longdistance Tue 25-Mar-14 17:54:40

Yabu.

Its all fake, fake, fake. Fake nails, fake tan, fake eyelashes, tonnes of make up. Fake hair, fake hair colour...it doesn't stop. Just wonder what else is fake confused

formerbabe Tue 25-Mar-14 17:57:21

Nowadays we have hair straighteners, fake tan, fake nails, hair extensions etc.

It's an illusion.

bassingtonffrench Tue 25-Mar-14 17:57:30

I don't agree. I think there is much more obesity these days, across all age groups, and I don't personally find it very attractive

DownstairsMixUp Tue 25-Mar-14 17:58:12

I think yabu to. All the pics I see on facebook are "fake." Even the no make up selfies were all instagram filtered to within an inch of their life. The make up is better to, plus more people are fake tanned and have tattooed make up as well. Cheryl Cole is a good example of how some tan/good extensions and good make up can transform someone from ordinary to beautiful.

Poogate Tue 25-Mar-14 18:00:58

I am with you on this, when I was at school, there were one or two what were considered beautiful girls, who really stood out, now many young girls of senior school age seem to be very good looking. I also find that whenever I go to France all the young kids there seem to be gorgeous!

Having said that, kids have a plethora of options available to them now to improve and enhance what they have, as someone said up thread hair extensions, eyelash extensions, fake tan, the list is endless. When I was a teenager I had Rimmel's 'Frosted Pink' lipstick, blue eye shadow, box hair dye from Superdrug and a heated hair crimper. I really had no hope grin

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 25-Mar-14 18:03:35

I know what you mean. I see all these glossy well groomed teenagers around and I speculate about how acne ridden curly permed pasty faced we were in the 80s.

However I suspect the well groomed girls of today have better and more tools to achieve their glossiness and aren't propping up J17 by their mirror and slapping on No17 cheapo makeup.

StrawberryCheese Tue 25-Mar-14 18:16:20

I think girls start wearing make up and doing their hair a lot younger these days and so by the time they are in their late teens, they have mastered the art. It doesn't mean there are no acne ridden faces anymore, they are just buried under foundation. Take a closer look at any of the young women at your local MAC counter and I guarantee you will see some bad skin!

IfNotNowThenWhen Tue 25-Mar-14 18:18:38

Teens don't seem to have acne any more. I mean, yes, the girls all wear a lot of foundation, but their skin is smooth. I have often wondered about this!

MinesaMess Tue 25-Mar-14 18:19:05

I'd have to disagree. My mum and her friends look amazing in their old photos from the sixties, pre digital cameras/hairstraightners/fancy products.
All the young girls I see nowadays look like clones of each other, zero individuality.
They might well be beautiful under all the crap but it's hard to tell.

HauntedNoddyCar Tue 25-Mar-14 18:28:03

I agree that my mum always looked very lovely in pictures. I suspect the 70s-90s were an unfortunate era when more cameras were in the hands of amateurs and styling products were lacking.

So lots of hideous snaps v few staged pics v today's digital airbrushing

DownstairsMixUp Tue 25-Mar-14 18:28:45

Kinda agree with Minesa to. Standard school girl round here is a tan, hair in messy bun, bronzer, plenty of lip gloss, tons of mascara and manicured nails.

IfNotNowThenWhen Tue 25-Mar-14 18:30:05

I saw an H&M ad on a bus shelter today, with a young girl looking very natural, with slightly wild eyebrows and fuzzy hair, no visible make up. It was a reminder of the "look" in the 90's, when grunge was in, and masks of make up were out. She looked so fresh and pretty compared to the over groomed teenage girls I see at the local high school. (and they are the "naice" version-glossy long blonde hair, expensive fake tans)

MoominsYonisAreScary Tue 25-Mar-14 18:35:43

Loads of pictures and pick the best. Lots of people on my fb dont actually look as good in rl as they do on their profile pics

GandalfsBeard Tue 25-Mar-14 18:38:02

On the contrary, I think girls/women (generally speaking) looked better before the fads of hideous orange makeup, hair extensions, false nails, and stupid pouty photos on social networking sites!
Whatever happened to fresh-faced, natural and frankly, normal looking?

TheBody Tue 25-Mar-14 18:38:13

Belly you are spot on there.

mind you I was 18 in 1982 and I have a photo of me with,

a curly perm with a fergie bow(anyone remember them after Sarah f) blue eye cream, kohl pencil, thin eyebrows, frosty pink lip gloss, batwing sleeved electric blue dress and white high heels!!

I thought I looked pretty dam good.

my teen dds just looked horrified at it. grin

muser31 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:40:51

i look at pics of my mum from years ago and thought she looked gorgeous. she still wears no make up or products in her hair! nowdays with all the products there are, its very easy to get it wrong, and when you get it wrong (overdone, orange tan, too much make up etc) it really is not an attractive look.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now