the term yous

(181 Posts)
mrsbucketxx Tue 25-Mar-14 15:05:14

is just wrong.

i know this belongs in pedants but its just making me mad. I have noticed more and more on the programs i watch, such as Marv on the voice, Towie, and other southern based programs that when the person is talking to others that they say

yous instead of you, such as what do yous think. not what do you think.

its making me more than a little crazy aibu?

CailinDana Tue 25-Mar-14 15:06:56

Ir

mrsjay Tue 25-Mar-14 15:09:29

it is a scottish word used in well scotland we say it all the name the posh scots will come on say they don't they do grin I have never heard it out of scotland before I guess it will be annoying if it is slipping in here and there,

HumpedZebra Tue 25-Mar-14 15:09:54

Yabu, watching TOWIE is incompatible with pedantry.

Plus the you/yous distinction is really useful.

I use it (it's normal in my dialect) and I'm really clever and pedantic. wink

It's just dialect.

Does y'all bother you too?

CailinDana Tue 25-Mar-14 15:10:33

It's a dialect thing. I'm not sure if there's anywhere in Britain that uses it a lot but it's common in Dublin. Elsewhere in Ireland we say "ye" if saying "you" to more than one person, as in, "where are ye going?"

mrsbucketxx Tue 25-Mar-14 15:11:24

it kinda sounds OK in a Scots accent i know what your talking about. Not so good in estuary English

winklewoman Tue 25-Mar-14 15:12:56

It is common in Corby, where the 'Corby Jocks' live.

mrsbucketxx Tue 25-Mar-14 15:13:00

towie is my guilty pleasure. in a weird way it makes me feel better about my marriage with all the car crash relationships blush

BOFtastic Tue 25-Mar-14 15:14:27

It's dialect (you hear it in Liverpool a lot)- but I believe it has its roots in much older forms of our language. If you think about it, it does indicate that more than one person is being addressed, so it has a useful function. It is obsolete in formal speech now, and you only hear it colloquially- I'm not sure why it winds you up so much?

mrsjay Tue 25-Mar-14 15:14:46

oh i did hear Joey essex say it on a clip of something he was in but i cant watch it cos he drives me insane nobody BUT nobody can be that ignorant of everything outside their essex bubble can they ?

mrsjay Tue 25-Mar-14 15:15:15

how would you say you (plural)

BOF's right.

mrsbucketxx Tue 25-Mar-14 15:16:02

cause im a hormonal old cow wink

sounds like lazy speech to me

Sirzy Tue 25-Mar-14 15:16:14

My mums response to people saying yous is "female sheep"

It's common up here (near Liverpool) but very annoying

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 25-Mar-14 15:16:14

Commonly used in Norn Iron too. :D I love it.

ADishBestEatenCold Tue 25-Mar-14 15:16:50

Totally agree, mrsbucket. It makes me want you go all school marmy!

It's right up there with failure to use capital letters at the beginning of sentences! grin

sparechange Tue 25-Mar-14 15:17:30

It is a northern irish thing as well. They even use it written down.

it really grates for me but please don't tell my in-laws

mrsbucketxx Tue 25-Mar-14 15:17:51

i would say all of you,

like the plural of sheep is sheep

as explained here

dontsqueezetheteabag Tue 25-Mar-14 15:18:14

fecking HATE it - YANBU

mrsjay Tue 25-Mar-14 15:18:48

I am glad yous all agree that it is not a bad word grin

I'm in Liverpool, it's used when you are addressing more than one person.

As said, it could be considered correct, especially if you value Dialects.

I don't say it, I think it sounds uneducated, but I don't judge the use of such words.

MrsJay Not a particularly posh Scot here wink, but I would never say it. I hear it all the time but it makes my toes curl and I admit I judge a bit. blush.

Lottapianos Tue 25-Mar-14 15:20:10

Such snobbery! Its used in some dialects, like the part of Essex where I work and parts of Ireland like Cailin said. It may grate on you but just because its not used in Standard English doesn't make it wrong

tabulahrasa Tue 25-Mar-14 15:20:30

There is no you plural in modern English because it used to be thou singular and ye plural and it changed into you for both.

Some dialects (Scots is one) use yous instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now