To wish parents would put their trolleys where they belong

(79 Posts)
CorusKate Tue 25-Mar-14 12:21:43

My local Sainsbury's doesn't have coin slots on the trolleys, instead trusting customers to return them to the trolley parks (I like the American term "cart corral" - I imagine semi-tame trolleys bucking and starting within fenced-off areas).

Over most of the carpark people do return the trolleys, but the footpath alongside the parent and child parking is often completely jammed with dozens of abandoned trolleys. The parent and child parking is presumably in this particular place because you can get to the shop from your car along the pavement, instead of having to push the pram though the carpark. It's also the route from the pedestrian entrance to the carpark to the store entrance.

What makes these parents think they're too damned special to put the trolleys back in the parks and they need to block the access route? As an able-bodied person, when my hands are free I can push the trolleys out of the way, but wheelchair users, people with lots of shopping and people with prams struggle.

melonribena Tue 25-Mar-14 12:34:13

I'm always quite pleased when I park up and find an abandoned trolley nearby. It means I don't have to drag 20 mth old ds across the carpark to fetch one!

I'm probably in a minority though!

KickassCoalition Tue 25-Mar-14 12:37:56

No, I am always grateful that someone has left me a trolley too!

I leave mine for the next person in a sensible place but if it were already full of trolleys I would take it back to the holding bay.

Our local Asda has cottoned on to this and put a bay near the parent and child spaces!

tripecity Tue 25-Mar-14 12:38:07

I also like it if people leave trolleys out, it makes it much easier to stick my toddler in it and so get in the shop quicker.

Anyway, supermarkets have people who collect all the wrongly parked trolleys, so whats your issue OP?

Quoteunquote Tue 25-Mar-14 12:40:03

Just phone the store and ask them to employ someone to collect the trolleys.

BrianTheMole Tue 25-Mar-14 12:42:31

I'm always happy if someone leaves me a trolley out.

Taz1212 Tue 25-Mar-14 12:46:13

My DC are older now but our Asda (attached to larger shopping centre) is the same and I remember the hassle of trying to work my way round the abandoned trolleys with one baby in a buggy and one toddler holding my hand. Our Asda does employ someone to gather up the trolleys but they couldn't keep up with it.

Felyne Tue 25-Mar-14 12:46:27

I prefer when people put the trolleys away especially when it's raining as putting a toddler in a wet trolley is not nice. But I also love it when a child-friendly trolley is right there next to where I've happened to park!

Woobeedoo Tue 25-Mar-14 12:49:18

My local supermarket employes people to collect the trollies lazy feckers can't be arsed to push 10 steps to the trolley shelter. One very windy day trolley staff decided to shelter under the store canopy rather than work and as I was walking back to my car, an abandoned trolley hurtled across the car park into the side of my car with the speed of an exocet missile, resulting in a nice dent.

I wrote to them, they simply shrugged their shoulders and refused to foot the repair bill. Luckily my car was by then quite old but it still pissed me the hell off.

melonribena Tue 25-Mar-14 12:49:44

I agree about the wet trolleys!

To be honest though, people only leave a few trolleys around and there are never enough to cause an obstruction.

CorusKate Tue 25-Mar-14 12:57:13

What's my issue, tripecity? Could you try reading my post again, especially the parts that say "completely jammed" and "wheelchair users struggle"? We're not talking the odd carefully out of the way trolley, left as a kindness to another parent so they won't have to struggle the whole fifteen metres to the trolley park. The pavement, which is the only route between the wheelchair and pedestrian access ramp and the store, and has a wall one side and the P&C spaces on the other, is frequently impassable unless you're capable of physically moving 15-20 jammed-together trolleys that block your way.

EEatingSoupForLunch Tue 25-Mar-14 13:08:03

Isn't the reason people leave them by P&C spaces because they would otherwise have to leave their baby/child alone in the car? There are weirdos people on here who don't leave their LO to pay for petrol, I can't imagine they trek back to the corral with the trolleys in case of the Child Snatcher

CorusKate Tue 25-Mar-14 13:18:54

I guess I could see that, EEating, but there's a dozen P&C spaces - at one end is a standard covered trolley park, and at the other end is the main trolley area next to the supermarket entrance, so it's not like people have to schlep miles or to anywhere they couldn't see their car from.

I don't get the argument that they have staff to collect the trolleys, either - partly cause it comes across a bit Lady Muck, and partly because even if they do have staff, why is it okay to block access for people who need it even if it's only for the time between the trolley being dumped and the staff member noticing it and coming to collect it?

NurseyWursey Tue 25-Mar-14 13:31:32

Yes I've seen this too in our Sainsbury's, the parent and child part.

People should take responsibility and put it back the lazy sods.

CountessOfRule Tue 25-Mar-14 13:37:54

This is why I like shopping at Morrisons and Aldi. You need a "trolley penny" but you always know where the trolleys are.

In fairness, near the P&C at Morrison's there are the chain clip things so one or two trolleys can be chained up near the cars.

Tesco OTOH has clever trolleys that slam to a halt if you take them beyond the car park, so no trolley penny and trolleys abandoned all over the car park. Their P&C spaces are nearer the store than the blue badge spaces too hmm but that's another story...

ProlificPenguin Tue 25-Mar-14 13:44:48

I want trolleys left too please. The walk to the trolley park is miles and I don't want to leave DC alone in car in big supermarket car park nor have to carry them for miles when finished shopping.

If it is raining I always have a muslin handy to wipe seat area for baby.

Im another one who's happy when someones left a trolley by parent and child parking! Perfect place for them to be!

Pregnantagain7 Tue 25-Mar-14 13:51:30

I like trolleys left too don't have to leave my little ones in the car on their own while I get one.

ICanSeeTheSun Tue 25-Mar-14 13:51:58

I like to keep someone in a job.

Everyone returns the trolley, no need to employ someone to take them back.

CorusKate - it seems as though your local supermarkets car park is an odd lay out - in all supermarkets in my area, it is useful and not obstructive to have trolleys left by parent and child. The disabled parking spaces are closer to the store meaning th trolleys aren't near the disabled spaces in most carparks - If this super market is bothering you, maybe make a complaint and get them to pay someone to collect trolleys if it is making it difficult for those using wheelchairs.

CorusKate Tue 25-Mar-14 14:08:13

It's the pedestrian route to the supermarket that's obscured, Red. Lots of disabled people (and other people) in my area don't drive, so they don't care that the disabled spaces are closer to the store - they probably care more that people using the P&C spaces are more interested in their own convenience, and in high-handedly claiming "I'm lazy because I want to keep someone in a job", than about blocking pedestrian routes.

Why is it my responsibility to call the store and ask them to hire yet another staff member to collect trolleys, increasing prices for everyone, rather than parents' responsibility to walk the (at most) six car-parking spaces' distance to collect/return a trolley?

I don't think it is that odd a layout - I think people using these P&C spaces simply don't pay attention to or care about the fact that they're blocking the pedestrian access to the shop. Maybe they think that bit of land is solely for the convenience of parents, and don't stop to wonder whether anyone else's needs but their own matter.

I understand it's annoying if it's a long walk to the trolley park - my nearest Tesco has huge trolley-park deserts where you have to take the damn thing miles to get your pound back, but in my Sainsbury's it's hardly any distance at all, and everyone else (including the people using the blue badge spaces) seems to manage it.

fluffyraggies Tue 25-Mar-14 14:13:05

Sorry, i like it when there's a trolly near the car. i have a weak/dodgy back and i currently struggle carrying new born in her car seat very far. I wouldn't leave her shut in the car while i went for one as she'd be screaming by the time i got back, and wouldn't calm down for ages.

However if the pavement really is getting completely blocked have a word with the store?

CountessOfRule Tue 25-Mar-14 14:15:21

Please don't take your newborn into the supermarket for a big shop in her car seat. It is no good for her back. Please take one or more blankets and put her in the bucket seat trolley instead.

You are right - It's not your responsibility and the supermarket should have noted this already, If it causing such a problem I'm surprised they have't recieved any complaints yet. But if its annoying you that much and you have the time to post about it with no helpful outcome then you could just call the store with perhaps a more helpful outcome?

Is there only one path in the carpark? That does seem like an odd layout to me, however I haven't seen it!

I don't think it's laziness, I think most parents just think it makes a lot more sense! They don't have to walk a long way or leave DCs and neither does the next parent.

CorusKate Tue 25-Mar-14 14:23:00

Red, this is a pedestrian access ramp/path which leads from the public road, past the P&C spaces, alongside the main trolley area, and to the door of the supermarket. This is so pedestrians don't have to navigate the vehicle entry road, roundabout, and full length of the carpark. There is another pedestrian access path on the other side of the shop, leading from a completely different road, which has two flights of steps. It's the only sensible path in if you're coming from that direction on foot, or any direction if you have limited mobility and aren't in a car.

I didn't realise that we weren't allowed to discuss petty annoyances on here without previously having appealed to the authorities to police the behaviours we object to? grin

I'm sure the parents think it does make more sense. It certainly makes life easier for them, unless they were planning to push a pram along that footpath. Screw other people, right? As long as it's easier for parents, that's what matters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now