AIBU to think you don't have to follow a prescribed diet to lose weight?

(47 Posts)
Blueskiesandcherrypies Mon 24-Mar-14 08:17:37

When I finally give birth (it's been a loooong pregnancy) I will have about 2 stone to lose. I really don't want to go down the corporate, prescribed route of WW/Sw (they've had enough money out of me in the past) and would much prefer to do loads of walking, cut out all rubbish from my diet and eat three healthy meals a day. Our evening meals are ok anyway but I want to try and get away from cereal and toast for brekkie and calorie laden sarnies, crisps and choc for lunch. Not to mention the huge amounts of biscuits and other crap during the day blush.

So AIBU to think it should be possible to lose weight this way rather than going down the WW/Sw route? I will be really strict with myself, in fact I want to start now and limit the amount of weight I put on during the rest of my pregnancy.

Has anyone else lost weight this way?

manicinsomniac Mon 24-Mar-14 23:15:36

YANBU. Eat less, move more and it's impossible to fail.

Timings, food type etc doesn't matter at all.

fatlazymummy Mon 24-Mar-14 23:12:53

I lost 4 stones doing this.Smaller portions, more exercise, basic common sense. I didn't bother about counting calories, I didn't join any clubs or read any books. Walking is great exercise and free,there's plenty of things you can do indoors if you can't leave your baby.Plus plenty of info and weight loss/fitness groups online if you want the support that a club would give you.

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Mar-14 21:56:27

MyFitnessPal is great as you can either put in packaged foods or ingredients and it tracks the mix of your calories

I used to use it for monitoring when I was getting used to eating within my TDEE

I lost three stone by counting calories. I chose all the foods I ate. I did spend a couple of pounds on a Collins Gem Calorie Counter, as I didn't have a clue about that sort of stuff.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 24-Mar-14 21:41:42

I haven't got a clue, we only see each other on the weekends where I do all the meals.

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Mar-14 21:38:17

when is he hungry?
get him to drink lots of water and then work out when he's hungry rather than picking a "meal time"

on the 5:2 threads we have a couple of shift workers and they work on meals rather than meal times

specialsubject Mon 24-Mar-14 21:38:10

same as everyone else - eat fewer calories than he burns. There's no magic clock in the stomach and it doesn't matter what time you eat.

ICanSeeTheSun Mon 24-Mar-14 21:36:27

Can I ask a questions, within this topic.

My DH works shifts. Days nights and afternoons.

How would he go about eating properly and lose weight ( he wants to lose weight)

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Mar-14 21:33:13

and remember that breakfast is essential for the cereal manufacturers but not for most adults

look up your TDEE (the number of calories somebody your age, height, weight and activity level needs)
mine is 1600

NOT the 2000 on the side of the food cartons

DilysMoon Mon 24-Mar-14 21:26:29

Definitely doable, I lost 1st 5 cutting out junk and reducing sugar and white carbs. I now have 3 sensible meals and because they're filling and I'm not getting sugar highs and lows I don't feel the need to snack.

I use the My Fitness Pal app to keep track of my calories, find it v useful.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Mon 24-Mar-14 21:17:24

Personally "3 meals a day" doesn't work for me I prefer to eat smaller amounts more regularly but each to their own. Portion control/sensible choice/ exercise are the key but I find that you can still have a few unhealthy options now and again you just have to factor it in. For example I knew I was taking the kids to macdonalds tonight and that I would have a Big Mac meal so I just had two boiled eggs for breakfast and a slice of whole meal toast with a couple of spoonful of baked beans for lunch and I did an extra 20 minutes at the gym.

I can't get on board with any diet that forbids certain foods. I think my biggest change had been portion control.

cromwell44 Mon 24-Mar-14 21:09:31

It can be done. Just eat less food. I lost 2 1/2 stone doing this and the main hurdle is getting used to it. Say no to food if you don't want it. Don't eat out of habit, because it is a mealtime or if you're not hungry. Serve yourself reduced portions, go back for more if still hungry but often you won't be.
Don't be too hard on yourself though when the new baby comes, especially if B/Fing, the new habits can wait a few months until you're settled a bit.

I did what you propose OP

It worked.

Is long term sustainable

No "naughty foods", no branded diet foods

I put on 4 stone ( but I am very tall, and had big babies) and lost all the extra weight just by going back to eating normal. The hardest bit was finding time to do exercise! Ended up doing long walks with pram every day.

MiddleAgeMiddleEngland Mon 24-Mar-14 21:01:03

I've gone from a size 16 to a 10 and maintained it for a few years just by eating less, eating healthy things rather than junk and getting lots of exercise.

Could never be bothered counting calories or going to any group sort of thing. I'm very suspicious of all these faddy diets but presumably they work for some people.

WitchWay Mon 24-Mar-14 19:15:22

Eat everything, just less of it, & watch for calories in drinks. Move around more - even just walking with the pram is enough.

Octopusinabunchofdaffodils Mon 24-Mar-14 19:10:07

I am not following any prescribed diet, I eat whatever I like but don't go over a certain amount of calories. I've lost 24 pounds in 3 months, more than I ever lost with WW or SW.

FourEyesGood Mon 24-Mar-14 19:03:38

YANBU. I hated the idea of WW and SW, so at the start of last year, I decided to eat less (especially cutting back on biscuits and bread) and exercise more. It was a gradual loss, but I've gone from a size 16 to a 12/14. My motto was (when looking at my flabby arms) "It doesn't have to be this way!"

Crinkle77 Mon 24-Mar-14 18:50:32

You don't need to join WW/SW to lose weight. Eating healthily and getting plenty of exercise is the key and it has to be a permanent lifestyle change.

Chocoholism Mon 24-Mar-14 11:35:18

Good luck! I would offer cake but you have to learn to say no! smile

RahRahRasputin Mon 24-Mar-14 11:31:11

The only way I have found to effectively lose weight is following Susie Orbach's ruled (similar to Paul McKenna)

Eat when you're hungry
Stop when you're full
Eat what you want
Eat mindfully

Mindful eating might be tricky with a newborn but others would probably work. I enjoyed her little book, Susie Orbach on Eating.

Most diets, set ones or made up ones, restrict your eating but don't address reasons for overeating. Plus I'm not at all convinced by any of the evidence for low fat diets or calorie counting.

CecilyP Mon 24-Mar-14 11:27:27

Yes, I lost weight last summer by cutting out cakes, biscuits, chocolates and pastry - that's about it really. Also ate plenty of salads with 3 or 4 small new potatoes for dinner. However, if you don't eat cakes, biscuits, chocolates and pastry anyway and are used to eating large portions at mealtimes, it might be more difficult.

TalkinPeace Mon 24-Mar-14 11:14:49

5:2 costs nothing and the 24 hour free support line is in a corner of mumsnet grin

icanmakeyouicecream Mon 24-Mar-14 11:12:46

If I don't do it, I loose control very quickly.

icanmakeyouicecream Mon 24-Mar-14 11:12:25

I do WW because I need the control and structure. If i d

Kittymalinky Mon 24-Mar-14 11:11:28

I lost 3 stone on my own, just used myfitnesspal to track my calories so I ate less/better.

I'm now doing it again (after gaining a lot of pregnancy weight) just tracking calories, I'm doing much more exercise this time and I'm almost 2stone down in 2 months.

You definitely don't have to do that whole WW, SW different diets.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now