Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think it's inconsiderate to travel in the quiet coach with small children

(257 Posts)
someonestolemynick Sun 23-Mar-14 20:41:11

That, really.

I make a point of sitting in the quiet coach, where available in order to be able to work, read or just be alone with my own thoughts.

Today I'm joined by a young family with a baby. Of course, the baby starts crying whenever we go through a tunnel. Arrrgh! I know children make noice, hence KEEP.THEM.OUT.OF.THE.QUIET.ZONE.

AIBU?

Caitlin17 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:54:20

morethan 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I rarely make phone calls on a train because I don't want other people listening in on my conversation. If I have to communicate it will be by text or e-mail. Unlike you I would never dream of listening to music or a DVD , no matter how "quietly" whichever carriage I was in unless I was wearing headphones.

I don't expect your children to sit like church mice but neither do I expect or want to be "entertained" by them and I absolutely do not wantcchildren tugging at my sleeve, kicking the back of my chair, leaning over the back of my seat or pestering me.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 26-Mar-14 19:59:29

Caitlin

neither are other peoples business calls and noises interesting to me.
I only have one dd aged 10 who I am responsible for now and I can assure you unless her and her choir members are asked to sing grin is quieter than a lot of the tutting and sighing going on in the carriage.

tethersend Wed 26-Mar-14 15:07:22

grin

Update: I was discussing this thread with dp last night, and he is of the mind that Quiet Carriages are "just full of knobs who sigh and huff a lot but won't ever actually say anything, so by all their tutting, they're making the carriage more loud for the rest of us, so they're all dicks."

angry

I LTB.

Locketjuice Tue 25-Mar-14 19:05:33

Maybe they thought thr quiet would be best for baby and baby didn't agree!

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 19:03:24

hmm yes, caitlin hmm

Caitlin17 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:55:28

upthechomney yes I did wonder about that too.

morethanI don't expect you and your children to sit in silence but just remember your children are not interesting to other people.

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 18:39:39

any music we play is very quiet, nobody else would hear it

Well it would be quiet to others, seeing as it'd be played through headphones, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't it?

morethanpotatoprints Tue 25-Mar-14 18:06:46

Caitlin

You're probably just jealous that your dc and peers aren't international singing sensations. grin

Yes, any music we play is very quiet, nobody else would hear it. I wouldn't want dd to hurt her ears with loud music.

The children were requested to sing, they cheered up a lot of people who had previously wondered how the hell they were going to get home.

Caitlin17 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:01:22

morethan how very nice you found someone who put up with your children singing. I wouldn't have been charmed. I don't expect children to be as quiet as mice but I no more have to tolerate unsolicited musical performances from them than any other passengers.

And so far as your comment "music is quiet" you should not be playing music on a train. It's extremely selfish with or without children to force other people to listen to your choice of music.

maggiemight Tue 25-Mar-14 17:53:38

Last time I travelled in the quiet coach on virgin some wha wha public school eejit at the back of the coach spouted forth so loudly that I could hear it even though I had earplugs in (always take these on train journeys due to other passengers being irritatingly noisy (not a prob on planes as engines re noisy)) so it isn't just babies.

But the train company should fix these things. It's like supermarkets putting child friendly or disabled parking then ignoring who uses it.

Ubik1 Tue 25-Mar-14 17:38:30

I've won the thread

ner ner ner ner ner

morethanpotatoprints how lovely smile

morethanpotatoprints Tue 25-Mar-14 17:12:15

UptheChimney

Thank you, that's very nice of you.
The way you describe is the way we act though. Very few parents let their dc run wild, whichever carriage they are in.
Music is quiet, others couldn't hear it, talking quietly etc.
You still get hushed though, believe me.
Hence, my statement of not sitting like a mouse.
I refuse to do this when I have bought a ticket.

A few weeks ago the people in the quiet coach were asking my dd and her friends to sing for them. It was the last train out of our area and all others had been cancelled, the day of the bad weather.
Got talking to a posh man, who asked where the dc had been, when we told them he said "Oh do get them to sing for us". I asked them, the kids said yes and they did. They managed the first half of the concert before some of our party left the train grin
Even the quiet coaches like a bit of entertainment when times are bad

tethersend Tue 25-Mar-14 16:58:55

<stamps foot>

I want to keep my own crying, running child out of the quiet coach AND THEY WON'T LET ME

<packs Valium>

someonestolemynick Tue 25-Mar-14 16:32:46

Wow, I'm a bit overwhelmed by all these replies.

I object to being called a child hater, because I want to keep young children out of public transport (I don't, just out of the quiet coach). Surely that is common sense, though. Babies cry, they can't help it. With that knowledge why would you inflict unavoidable noise on people, who expressed their desire to sit in quiet zones. Would you take your baby to the Opera and let then feel really hard done by , if people find it hard to tolerate your screaming bundle of joy?

Having said that, I wasn't aware of the booking issue, but doubt it was applicable to my train journey (london marylebone to aylsebury, if that helps). In some instances, it seems to be unavoidable, but in most cases, I am convinced, all it takes is a little bit thought and consideration from the parents.

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 15:56:00

<cries>

Hope you're not in the Quiet Coach! wink

Ubik1 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:52:33

<stamps foot>

I am right

<cries>

Ubik1 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:51:02

I think I could manage to accept that babies cry on public transport. I wouldn't really give it a second thought.

^^ grin

angelos02 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:50:05

We'll agree to disagree. although I actually know that I am right

Ubik1 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:47:41

And that is wrong angelo.

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 15:47:11

Cue hundreds of posts from MNers saying how much they adore the sound of children -- their own, other people's -- crying loudly or screaming ...

angelos02 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:45:42

But the implication is that young families should stay out of the quiet carriage in case baby cries

Wow, Ubik1 is finally getting it.

Ubik1 Tue 25-Mar-14 15:38:20

Today I'm joined by a young family with a baby. Of course, the baby starts crying whenever we go through a tunnel. Arrrgh! I know children make noice, hence KEEP.THEM.OUT.OF.THE.QUIET.ZONE

Thus is the original op

I don't think anyone has stated that they would hold a band rehearsal, paint themselves green or indeed deliberately be noisy in quiet carriage. I wouldn't do that in any carriage.

But the implication is that young families should stay out of the quiet carriage in case baby cries.

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 15:30:53

I would make an effort to be more quiet than usual if having to go to the quiet coach, but I wouldn't permanently sit like a mouse

That's big of you. How generous and gracious.

But seriously, you don't have to "sit like a ouse" in the Quiet Coach. You can sit quite normally, just put your mobile phone on silent, make or receive phone calls in the lobby or another carriage, use headphones & keep the volume down, and keep talking low & to a minimum. Nothing difficult there.

If you're traveling with children, as others on this thread have said, they keep them occupied and sitting in their seats. Again, not rocket science generally.

And if you're asked to keep the noise down because it's the Quiet Coach the other thing that polite considerate passengers can do is apologise and try to keep the noise down, not threaten other passengers (as I've been threatened) swear at them (I've been called a bitch and worse for pointing out to a loud phone-talker that it's the Quiet Zone) and not act as though you're the entitled spoilt one, and that the request for quiet in the Quiet Coach is unreasonable.

It's actually really not that difficult.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now