to think it's inconsiderate to travel in the quiet coach with small children

(257 Posts)
someonestolemynick Sun 23-Mar-14 20:41:11

That, really.

I make a point of sitting in the quiet coach, where available in order to be able to work, read or just be alone with my own thoughts.

Today I'm joined by a young family with a baby. Of course, the baby starts crying whenever we go through a tunnel. Arrrgh! I know children make noice, hence KEEP.THEM.OUT.OF.THE.QUIET.ZONE.

AIBU?

Caitlin17 Tue 25-Mar-14 18:55:28

upthechomney yes I did wonder about that too.

morethanI don't expect you and your children to sit in silence but just remember your children are not interesting to other people.

UptheChimney Tue 25-Mar-14 19:03:24

hmm yes, caitlin hmm

Locketjuice Tue 25-Mar-14 19:05:33

Maybe they thought thr quiet would be best for baby and baby didn't agree!

Update: I was discussing this thread with dp last night, and he is of the mind that Quiet Carriages are "just full of knobs who sigh and huff a lot but won't ever actually say anything, so by all their tutting, they're making the carriage more loud for the rest of us, so they're all dicks."

angry

I LTB.

tethersend Wed 26-Mar-14 15:07:22

grin

morethanpotatoprints Wed 26-Mar-14 19:59:29

Caitlin

neither are other peoples business calls and noises interesting to me.
I only have one dd aged 10 who I am responsible for now and I can assure you unless her and her choir members are asked to sing grin is quieter than a lot of the tutting and sighing going on in the carriage.

Caitlin17 Wed 26-Mar-14 20:54:20

morethan 2 wrongs don't make a right.

I rarely make phone calls on a train because I don't want other people listening in on my conversation. If I have to communicate it will be by text or e-mail. Unlike you I would never dream of listening to music or a DVD , no matter how "quietly" whichever carriage I was in unless I was wearing headphones.

I don't expect your children to sit like church mice but neither do I expect or want to be "entertained" by them and I absolutely do not wantcchildren tugging at my sleeve, kicking the back of my chair, leaning over the back of my seat or pestering me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now