Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think me taking a picture with no makeup on

(187 Posts)
softlysoftly Tue 18-Mar-14 23:37:01

isn't going to cure breast cancer?

Correct me if i'm wrong of course.

EatShitDerek Tue 18-Mar-14 23:40:07

Is it not?!

Does that mean the status updates of colours, doing it on table etc didn't do anything either?!

YANBU.

It doesn't raise awareness. It just leads to people posting pictures of their self. I don't see them and think 'oh cancer research, I must donate'

I haven't got any pictures with makeup on. Not since my 21st anyway and that was green lipstick.

ouryve Tue 18-Mar-14 23:42:46

Almost a decade since I last had a picture taken of me with makeup on. The day I married DH.

The idea is beyond trite.

sweetkitty Tue 18-Mar-14 23:43:05

I've just had a FB rant along the same lines, I'll be really popular now.

daisy0chain Tue 18-Mar-14 23:43:52

You know my views grin

KnockMeDown Tue 18-Mar-14 23:46:38

Of course it will - in much the same way as posting some obscure message on facebook with regard to where you leave your handbag, or, based on the month you were born and some other random factor, implying you are a certain amount of weeks "gone"

YANBU - these type of things make me quite stabby....

softlysoftly Tue 18-Mar-14 23:47:17

grin mascara brushes at dawn daisy? wink

daisy0chain Tue 18-Mar-14 23:49:07

Haha no mascara brushes for me, I'm all over the makeup removal wipes

Ludways Tue 18-Mar-14 23:51:18

I look like that every day, what difference will it make just to put a pic on fb. Anyway no one has nominated me yet, I must be monumentally unpopular, lol

RandomInternetStranger Tue 18-Mar-14 23:51:48

It's driving me nuts to be honest and I've said so in my status update as I'm a grumpy mouthy sod like that.

PerpendicularVince Tue 18-Mar-14 23:53:53

YANBU, it's solely done so the selfie person gets comments along the line of 'you look great hunni' - it does nothing to promote cancer awareness.

WelshMaenad Tue 18-Mar-14 23:54:25

To quote a FB friend, "if you're not aware of cancer, I can't help you".

wend2305 Tue 18-Mar-14 23:56:26

I thought the same myself earlier tonight. however ive donated and ive also seen other donation emails amounting to £30 odd pounds that wouldnt have been given otherwise. ive also included a link to the anthony nolan page on my picture. It does, on my fb at least, appear to be making more of a difference than the "write the colour of your bra for breast cancer awareness" rubbish ive seen before

EugenesAxe Tue 18-Mar-14 23:56:30

No YANBU... all it's served to do is make me slightly mournful that how I am most days is 'out of the ordinary'.

ouryve - yeah! Or for me maybe not so much trite as cringeworthy: "I care about breast cancer sooo much I'm prepared to post a picture of myself without face altering pastes and powders!" FFS - are we all really that shallow?!

RandomInternetStranger Tue 18-Mar-14 23:57:24

I don't get this because every girl I know who has cancer still wears make-up, as would I, so what exactly is the relevance? ?

EatShitDerek Tue 18-Mar-14 23:59:24

I've seem reasons from 'cancer patients are brave so bare all ladies' to 'its to show that natural beauty is the best and just because you have cancer doesn't mean you aren't beautiful'

I am fully aware of cancer. I have lost people.to cancer. A picture of me on FB wearing no make up wont change that.

firstbaby01 Wed 19-Mar-14 00:04:06

yanbu it's not doing anything for cancer at all. everyone I know who has posted a selfie already knew what breast cancer was before they did it and it has done nothing to help people with breast cancer. I have been nominated 3 times and absolutely refuse to do it as I would much rather donate than post a picture of myself looking rough that's not going to change a thing!

Want2bSupermum Wed 19-Mar-14 00:08:58

I get the same way with the Avon walk for cancer. How the heck is walking for days going to cure cancer. We all know what the disease is. Far better to sit down and think of ways to make a difference. I have done that for my godmothers sister who has breast cancer. She has lost all of her hair. Her hair used to be the same as mine and I have loads of it so I but 9" off and gave it to a wig maker. She now has a wig in her old hair style.

I have also made a point to buy branded prescription drugs. The more money drug companies have the more research they are able to do. My research found that buying generic doesn't always help push things forward.

hunreeeal Wed 19-Mar-14 00:34:42

YANBU

HillyHolbrook Wed 19-Mar-14 01:59:51

YANBU but the campaign has been done all wrong. It got all muddled somewhere, somehow hmm

It was meant to be a 'know your skin' thing and you were meant to do a no makeup selfie with the caption 'text BEAT to 70099 to donate £3 to cancer research' and a screenshot of proof that you did it too.

Instead it's just turned into everyone going 'look at my face. Oh..summat about cancer.' And even posting pics where they blatantly have their eyebrows done and mascara on and pretending it's their natural look so people will tell then how pretty they are.

Lj8893 Wed 19-Mar-14 04:39:19

I've had a massive rant about this on my Facebook tonight. In fact several people have shared my status and some people have even deleted me for it.

I find the whole thing really quite insulting.

Flopsy28 Wed 19-Mar-14 04:45:15

YANBU.. I've said the same. My picture would look like most others of mine tbh.

I can't stand all the 'you look fab hunny', 'wow, you still look amazing' fawning that goes on.

Been nominated but have refused. . End of. Donate if needs be. .ggrrrrrr!

ZingSweetCoconut Wed 19-Mar-14 05:19:10

I don't wear make up.

I don't even own anything but a mascara and some lipsticks that I use very occasionally.

is it really that big of a deal to have your pictures taken "bare-faced"?
confused

StillSeekingSpike Wed 19-Mar-14 06:52:36

'To quote a FB friend, "if you're not aware of cancer, I can't help you".'

I am going to use this line grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now