Was this acceptable cafe behaviour or a big faux pas??

(218 Posts)
AHardDaysWrite Tue 18-Mar-14 20:45:58

We're having lunch in a busy cafe (me, DH, two dcs). We ordered a main meal each plus two sides of chips to share. All the chips were soon polished off. On the next table was a woman and her son. She ordered chips for him, but when they arrived he only ate a couple and refused the rest. They left soon afterwards. My DS wanted more chips, so I gave him the (largely untouched) portion from that table. DH was aghast but my reasoning was that the waiter was only going to bin them anyway - why waste food? Was I BU?

FlumpieWumpie Tue 18-Mar-14 21:14:09

Couldn't you have just ordered your table more chips?
I do see your point completely. Yep the chips would have been bin-bound. BUT, they would have been breathing on them (YUCK - I remember being offered my nannies roast potatoes when I was little and although I said YES PLEASE, they always smelt different/weird). And surely they would have been cold? Chip/fries not an issue here as DC not big fans.
We wouldn't have done. But can't argue - you were there.

That's all kinds of wrong. Big faux pas. Huge.

usualsuspectt Tue 18-Mar-14 21:15:07

I wouldn't do it. Not unless I was mega skint. Then I probably would.

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 18-Mar-14 21:15:14

You don't know why the child left them though. Maybe he didn't want them as he was starting to feel unwell (i.e D&V bug brewing)?
I wouldn't have risked it to be honest, but then I am a worrier.
Also I bet the café owner would not be too impressed either.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Mar-14 21:16:02

Crikey, if they were hardly touched then no harm taking them. They would have probably ended up in the bin anyway.

littlewhitebag Tue 18-Mar-14 21:17:02

I would have taken them and eaten them no problem.

usualsuspectt Tue 18-Mar-14 21:17:31

I don't think the cafe owner would care tbh. They would just get chucked away.

I work in a cafe and would probably just laugh if I saw someone chip nicking.

I have just run this past DH. He just said 'pissy fingers in the chip bowl'. shock grin

OhGood Tue 18-Mar-14 21:17:53

furlined hilarious

Macocious Tue 18-Mar-14 21:18:05

I would love to do it but would feel too embarrassed.

shouldnthavesaid Tue 18-Mar-14 21:18:41

My mum worked in a hotel in late 80s. Leftovers were taken off people's
plates, microwaved and served up as a new dish. This included veg, soup, all sorts. Think veg if a bit saucy was washed too. Reckon that can't happen now but you don't want to chance it wink!

PoppettyPing Tue 18-Mar-14 21:18:44

I don't really see it as a big deal personally. "Breathed" on them? The people serving them to you probably breathed on them loads anyway

Never understood the food from skips thing.Surely they don't have a skip for the nice clean food and then another skip for food that's gone bad/wascovered in maggots/general waste including people's snotty tissues etc. Or do they?

TooBusyByHalf Tue 18-Mar-14 21:19:14

Totally up to you. If you felt comfortable doing it then why not? Where to people get off telling you it's totally unacceptable? Unlikely to catch anything from a few chips. Everything you touch outside your own home has been touched, breathed on, maybe even spat on by someone else's dirty paws. But if you thought about that all the time you'd never go out or do anything. Luckily we are a pretty tough species. Yanbu.

AHardDaysWrite Tue 18-Mar-14 21:19:51

I don't get the logic of "but they'd been touched". Well, yes, a little bit - I'm not sure you really paw all over chips just to eat a couple. But also, what happens when you order any food in a cafe? If you order a sandwich someone's touched it to make it. If you eat from a buffet you don't know who's put their hands in the food. Obviously I would never eat leftovers that had been in contact with someone's mouth, like a sandwich. But seriously, how germy do you think chips are?

usualsuspectt Tue 18-Mar-14 21:20:08

It doesn't happen where I work.

All leftovers are binned.

phonebox Tue 18-Mar-14 21:21:13

Well the food is usually still packaged when they throw it into the skips, Stealth - so wouldn't be likely to get massively contaminated with bogeys.

But seriously, how germy do you think chips are? This all depends on the personal hygiene of the previous owner of the second hand chips.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Mar-14 21:22:42

Its about timing stealth. Hanging round at the end of the day and then quickly retrieving food that has just come out of the store.

Yes, but do you wash the packs first?> Would you want to eat a sandwich from a cardboard sleeve that was nesteld up against a dirty nappy?

WeAllHaveWings Tue 18-Mar-14 21:23:07

I wouldn't have taken them, aside from the fact it's pretty minging, I like my food hot and by the time they'd left I imagine the chips would have been stone cold.

BrianTheMole Tue 18-Mar-14 21:23:16

Un

Mmmm. Stone cold pre-owned chips. grin

It's not the risk of picking up a virus/ germs/ whatever.

It's the actual going over to tbe table and helping yourself because you think ' why not' then demonstrating to your kids that anything goes.

It was a terrible example to your children.

ah thank you Brian! Yes I can see that, so grabbing stuff from the top
I accept I have bin/germ isues. But seriously eating stuff from skips has become quite fashionable (not talking about people who have no choice btw sad) and yet here we have a thread of people ewwwing at some little boy breath germs.
I wouldn't have done it. But not because there was another human being within the vicinity of the chips.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now