To not get no make-up nomination?

(57 Posts)
losercruiser Tue 18-Mar-14 20:01:06

Everyone knows what neknomination is, and now no make-up nomination is doing the rounds.

Whilst I think it's good to be confident to post a photo of your completely bare and natural face.

The purpose is it to raise awareness of cancer. Which I can't for the life of me see how this does.

Aibu to just not get the point of it?

Joysmum Wed 19-Mar-14 12:50:18

In which case, the campaign is working because even those of us who aren't doing selfies are getting involved.

this proves the campaign has worked. Don't forget to check your breasts for abnormalities too. That's the main message we should be giving through all of this as it's something everybody could, and should do wink

MostlyMama Wed 19-Mar-14 12:44:08

I have just put up a status saying that basically if you want to raise awareness of cancer, donate to Cancer Research or similar!! A selfie will do sod all, and to prove I am not all mouth either (as some on my FB will probably try to say) I have made a donation myself - only £2, but better than a pissing selfie!!

ScarletRedRose Wed 19-Mar-14 12:33:16

I too have included a link to the Cancer Research text donation site, donated and then did a no make up selfie.

I hate selfies and very rarely wear make up anyway but as my mum is currently battling a not very well known cancer, I'm all for it.
As long as there is a donation as well as pic I think it's great.

Cancer Research have posted on their Facebook page to say that while it wasn't their idea they fully support it and have also linked to the donation page.

Minorchristmascrisis Wed 19-Mar-14 12:14:37

I've just posted a link to the cancer research donation page...

Joysmum Wed 19-Mar-14 12:14:01

Yes I have been nominated, I dont care about the no make up thing I care about the whole face being on there at all thing, I have not had an image of me on FB for many years ( weight gain) I am just ignoring it.

Don't ignore if it's something you believe in!

I didn't do a selfie but I did put the message up to remind women to check their breasts and a link to just giving for breast cancer campaign.

The majority have just posted selfies, nothing else. I have only seen 2 other people link to the just giving donation page and NOBODY had reminded about checking yourself TODAY!

The selfie is what people are focussing on when it's the message that counts.

BeyondRepair Wed 19-Mar-14 12:09:30

Yes I have been nominated, I dont care about the no make up thing I care about the whole face being on there at all thing, I have not had an image of me on FB for many years ( weight gain) I am just ignoring it.

this says far more and far better than any make up game thing if video pauses just click on the photo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsWVfdjKvBE

Joysmum Wed 19-Mar-14 11:59:58

I started the day thinking these selfies were self indulgent and pointless, I've now changed my mind but ONLY if people remember to post the reason for doing it. Remind women to check their breasts TODAY and to donate if they can.

We older ladies may know about breast cancer, but many younger women don't know how to check themselves.

Many older women don't know how to check themselves.

Of all the women who do know how to check themselves, many may have forgotten to recently. Your selfie should prompt them to do so.

Many would think to donate, despite being in a position to.

So yes it does raise awareness and funds, but does so most effectively when accompanied by the clear message as to why!

I've changed my mind about the selfies since realising this, who else will?

MorelloKiss Wed 19-Mar-14 11:57:22

Holiday I kinda agree. I am against the narcissism, but in reality it did prompt me to donate today.

holidaysarenice Wed 19-Mar-14 11:54:25

Actually I think it does work! Thousands have posted their picture if even 10% of those people start a conversation about cancer, the a) that's reducing the stigma of the dreaded c word b) someone else may see it and decide to donate if they don't want a picture, that's a donation that wouldn't have happened. Lastly woman may see it and think actually its been a whule since I checked my breasts and do it. The statistics for regularly checking are shocking.

So no it won't cure cancer, yes it is a stunt but it gets people talking. That may get a diagnosis sooner than otherwise would have.

MorelloKiss Wed 19-Mar-14 11:42:09

Oops...

#cancerawareness #nomakeupselfie I feel really silly now as all I posted was money

Should've left it it the pros blush

MorelloKiss Wed 19-Mar-14 11:40:49

#cancerawareness #nomakeupselfie I feel really silly not as all I posted was money

Shamelessly plagerised from a Ricky Gervais tweet

Another one here who has been flamed by the sheep. Because I never knew fucking cancer existed either, until I saw a friend's face without make up.

Susieshoe Wed 19-Mar-14 11:08:23

This is my current Facebook status

Hello to all my Facebook friends who are doing this make up free selfie to raise awareness for cancer. I'm sure that you are all doing it with the best of intentions and feel that you've helped raise awareness of cancer. But let's think about raising awareness - is cancer not something that every single one of us is massively aware of? Is there not one of us here who haven't been touched in some way by this disease?
I work with people who actually have cancer. Every day I see exactly what this shit disease does to their body. Every day, I witness what the treatment I give them does to their body. They have to live their lives with not only the physical scars that can't be covered up with a bit of slap, but also the emotional scars. They have to battle through some pretty horrendous, life changing shit, believe me. Imagine not being able to eat and drink because you physically can't. Imagine having to walk around with a gaping hole where your nose/eye once was. Imagine having to rely on a big tube fitted in your neck so you can breathe. Imagine having a stump where a leg once was. Imagine how it is to feel that you've let your family down by allowing yourself to get cancer because you've made a few bad lifestyle choices.

Helping people with cancer takes money, lots of it, fucking shed loads of it in fact. Taking a photo of yourself with no make up on will do nothing. Nominating friends to do the same will do nothing......it just becomes one of those Facebook games that do the rounds from time to time. Unless you post a make up free selfie and state that you have also given money towards cancer research - that's the only thing that will make this latest Facebook craze a worthwhile initiative. How about putting your hand in your pockets and actually donating some money. Big kudos to those of you who have done so - you've actually made a difference.

And yes, I do have a regular direct debit to cancer research.

I've also posted a screen shot of my donation to cancer research in lieu of a make up free selfie of myself. God, I look bad enough WITH make up on!!!

Anyway - text BEAT to 70099. That will give cancer research £3. And that will be a much more positive action than posting a make up free selfie

ViviPru Wed 19-Mar-14 11:03:17

All it does is reveal how disingenuous people are who gush all over others bareface pics saying "you look gorgeous!" when the individual in question looks rough as nails (as I would). I've got your number, fibber.

specialsubject Wed 19-Mar-14 11:02:36

I'm getting this too - surprising, my FB friends normally have more sense. All photos of me show me without makeup, I almost never wear it. Have I been breaking some rules?

I am all too aware of cancer, thank you, (as are most people) and my donation via direct debit to cancer research has been running a while. That is the only slight good thing about this - it does seem to be suggesting that people set up direct debits or one-off donations straight to the charity, not via the take-a-cut websites or by expensive-to-organise silly events.

yes, you, Alex Jones

Well said Calamitously...

It's a load of bollocks and I bet 80% of the people posting these stupid bloody photos haven't bothered with the donation. My status on FB today is asking if someone can explain exactly how this is doing the cause favours - so far no one has come up with a sensible answer.

It's making a mockery of a serious illness and it's also making me bloody annoyed.

tobiasfunke Wed 19-Mar-14 10:58:05

Oh God I read this thread and just knew my work colleague would do this- and yes there she is. No mention of donations. The levels of narcissism today never fails to amaze me. It is utterly distasteful.

Manchesterhistorygirl Wed 19-Mar-14 10:58:00

As I said on the other thread, post a picture but post a donate link too, that's what I did and I've also made a donation.

bemusedisnottheword Wed 19-Mar-14 10:53:44

whats fun about cancer julia? angry people having a bit of fun posting make up free selfies to promote awareness of cancer is an insult to all those who have suffered the awfulness of cancer and their families too.

no its an egostroke to most, if people want to make a difference then they can donate.

my dad died horribly from cancer.

Straitjacket Wed 19-Mar-14 10:30:53

I have been nominated. I shan't be doing it. The whole thing has had me rolling my eyes since it appeared on my newsfeed yesterday morning.

I have read that it started as some sort of campaign to encourage donations. Take a no make up selfie and donate. But the attention seekers seem to be using it for their own agenda and I haven't seen anyone mention anything about donations on my fb at least. All it is, is "Oh I am sooooo minging" followed by "Oh hunz you arnt, you are gawjuz!" type crap. Fuck all to do with raising awareness! More like massaging each others ego.

I am already raising money for Cancer Research (doing a 10k run soon) so it isn't because I am "heartless" or I "don't care". I very much do after watching 3 loved ones die from this horrible disease. I just won't partake in attention seeking bollocks under the guise of raising awareness just like those statuses that do the rounds, keeping secret from the menz because it isn't like they get Breast Cancer too yano....

I would prefer to share information on Cancer symptoms and what to look out for, how to check your breasts properly and reminding women and men to do so regularly and men to check their testicles regularly too. Not only that, but to always make sure they attend any tests/examinations IE smears. That sort of thing helps. Not selfies.

thegreylady Wed 19-Mar-14 09:29:03

In fact you lot made me decide to stop being such a sheep so I have deleted the photo. Most of my fb friends have had breast cancer and all are aware of it. Thanks all.

thegreylady Wed 19-Mar-14 09:23:30

Well I have had breast cancer and was asked to do it so I did. I added a sentence saying I wasn't sure what good it would do! I never wear make up anyway. I will leave it up for today then remove it.

LackingEnergy Wed 19-Mar-14 09:19:55

This has just made it onto my fb. Not a single pic explains why or how this helps support cancer. Nor can any of them explain how it does when I've pm'd them :-/

Just another excuse for a selfie which the people posting them on my fb hardly needed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now